Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Heat Protestant

Length
    25.5/25.5/45
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Default Opinions on Heat Protestant

Hi all.

Maybe this a dumb question but I wanted to gather everyone's thoughts on heat protectant. I try to use heat as little as possible when styling, but I do use hot rollers about once per week.
    I am concerned about the alcohol content drying out my hair even more. I am currently using a cheap drug-store (I think Tresseme?) brand for Fine hair.

Any advice would be very helpful.
    I am new to LHC and still learning

(speaking of which, if anyone can additionally guide me on how to edit my signature, that would be highly appreciated as well).

Thanks all!

Length
    26/FTL/47
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Opinions on Heat Protestant

Heat Protestant or protectant?

I can't help you out on that, but I can about your siggy. You can edit it once you can access your profile; you can access you profile once you have reached 25 posts. Here's a link to some commonly asked questions:
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=114999

Edited to add: Nice to meet you! I hope you find what you're looking for here.
    Last edited by Entangled; August 7th, 2014 at 08:10 PM.

Length
    2"/38"/?
    Type
    1a/F/ii

Hi! From what I understand, heat protectants somewhat work if you use a low temperature setting and minimize the duration of heat exposure. They don't prevent damage; they just lessen it a little bit. Unless you are using high temps and long exposure--then your hair will fry no matter what you spray on it. Certain ingredients are more effective than others as well. Here is an interpretation of a study on heat protectants. It can guide you on which ingredients to look for: http://www.brightestbulbinthebox.com...ling-heat.html.

If you want to read the original article she is referencing, she pasted the address to the pdf at the bottom of the molecule diagram.

As for your siggy, you don't have enough posts yet. I believe you need 25 posts before you have the ability to mess with it. You'll get there in no time!
    I made it to TBL!
    Now to wait and see if this is truly my terminal...

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

You mean when Martin Luther used a hair fork to pin his 95 theses to the door?

In my personal experience, heat protectants don't help that much, but have you considered Caruso rollers? They're kind of like hot rollers, except they use steam to warm the foam rollers and they produce some very nice curls without damage from direct heat.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

IMO they're just a marketing gimmick tbh. All they do is make the hair smooth and give the illusion of damage prevention.

Account Closed by Member Request

They create a thin heat resistant barrier that prevents moisture to evaporate from inside the hair shaft, hence the hair will be less dried out. Of course that only works to a certain extend, but i would highly suggest to use it. If the alcohol bothers you in the girst place, there are many options not containing any, like serums and even alot of sprays, like Elnett or Aveda.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Depends entirely on the ingredients. Most are laden with silicones which give faux shine and slip, with a flat iron that slip should help the hot tool slide evenly and not focus heat on one spot. But AFAIK silicones have little or no research backing any direct reduction in damage. Alcohol may be damaging, particularly if applied to wet hair or used to drench the hair.
    http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...ir-sprays.html

Some ingredients are proven to reduce damage: glycerin, propylene glycol, hydrolysed protein, a few polyquats. There is a longer list over on the Facebook Wavy Hair Community but I am not sure it is replicated anywhere else.

Recent post on heat styling/ protection including a ton of linkies
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...86-post10.html
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out old fringe/ bangs. Three years Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but itching to trim.

Type
    2a/C/ii

Guess Firefox gave you a good explanation.

I have blunt bangs which I need to heat style every day/every other day. Heat protectants have done nothing for them, except making them greasy faster. So IMO, they don't work.

Length
    24 in/48in/term
    Type
    1b/F/i

One of our witty posters (sorry, I can't remember who) suggested spraying your skin with protectant and then applying the heated appliance to your skin to get a good idea of how effective the protectants are.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post
    You mean when Martin Luther used a hair fork to pin his 95 theses to the door?
    You all make me not want to fix the spelling on the title.

Regarding your signature, jackie_rapunzel, I think you're going to need to hit the 25 post mark before you can do much about it. (I know that's frustrating. Hang in there and you'll get to that point pretty fast.)

No personal experience with heat protectants. I suspect that they might be better than nothing, especially since they add slip to speed a flat iron along, but hair that hasn't been heat-styled is going to be better off than hair that's been styled while using a protectant.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!