Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all lion manes! The type iii thread.

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Default Calling all lion manes! The type iii thread.

Who else out there has super thick hair? I'm curious how everyone manages thick and long hair.

How do you BBB your hair? Do you even bother? Do you do it by section? How often?

How do you know when your hair is finally rinsed?

What do you use to detangle, comb, or brush your hair?

What kind of styles have worked for you at different lengths?

How do you deal with triangle head? Layers? Fairy tale ends? Thinning out the bottom?

Bangs: if you have them, how do you manage them? Do they help ease the bulk of your hair or are they complicated?
    Last edited by Hibernis; August 3rd, 2014 at 08:14 PM.

Multiple Accounts
    Length
    APL/MBL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

Default Re: Calling all mop heads! The type iii thread

Me!!! I actually hate having thick hair, its so hard to handle. I do use a BBB as it really detangles and smooths my hair and straightens it slightly. I do it once or twice a day by sections.

I spend like 10 minutes rinsing everything out, and really scrub in there to get all the product. I use a wide tooth comb in the shower but only finger comb when my hair is air drying.

At the moment I'm at BSL and usually do cinnabuns, LWBS, french braids, dutch braids, braided buns, ponytails or braided halfbacks. But usually I just do buns or leave my hair down, its easier as its so heavy.

I do a U shape hem and layers at the front, and I don't have bangs, just do a side part and it seems to work.

Length
    BCL/CL+/WTF
    Type
    2a/C/iii

i had to click on here just to find out what a "mop head" is!

well i guess i qualify for this thread, so i'll answer! Personally i avoid BBBs and any other brushes like the plague, they make my hair grow outward even more than it normally does on it's own. I only use a comb, a lignum vitae one when dry and a cheap-o plastic one when wet (my hair is rather indestructible). To rinse my hair i go section by section, and i wash by putting a dollop of shampoo in a squeeze bottle, adding water, and applying to the roots (it's the only way i can get to the roots. Most of my shower time is spent just trying to get my hair wet). The only style that really works for me is long...anything above waist length tends to go outward instead of downward because of the thickness. I don't do layers because the shorter layers stick out while the longer ones stay down. (Ha, pretty much the theme here is that i have really big hair and i grow it long to weigh it down.) It's also why i don't do bangs, every so often i try them and instantly remember what a mess it is trying to get them not to stick out everywhere. Style wise i was only able to start doing successful buns when i hit hip length, it took me to almost classic to do a cinnabun.

Account Closed by Member Request

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernis View Post
    Who else out there has super thick hair? I'm curious how everyone manages thick and long hair.

How do you BBB your hair? Do you even bother? Do you do it by section? How often?

How do you deal with triangle head? Layers? Fairy tale ends? Thinning out the bottom?

Bangs: if you have them, how do you manage them? Do they help ease the bulk of your hair or are they complicated?
    I'm just below 5" in circumference. I only ever BBB my hair when i straightened it, just split in half and give both sides a few gentle strokes.
    I just rinse with wather and then pour the rinse from my bottle over my head. My hair usually doesn't get oily anyways.
    Using aHercules Saegeman Ebonit Comb to detangletowel dry hair.
    Favorite style of all times is the cinnabun, although it only started to look decent lately since my hair wasn't long enough before.
    Trying to fairytale my hemline these days to deal with the volume.
    I had bangs at one point and would never doit again, i hated to have no choiche but to style them, they just looked terrible on their own.

One thing i recently noticed is that i always thoughtto have medium hair with an equal percentage of coarse and fine strands, like 15-20% each. Anyways, it looks like my coarse hairs are becoming less and less, also the medium ones, while the fine is shooting up. Feels like my hair is keeping the circumference but looks bigger and fluffier as it is down, but also softer, if this continues i have to update my stats to F/M instead of ovrall M

Length
    bob/Bsl/Hip
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Wow hearing all this makes me glad to be a petite iii (over 4" ponytail circumference now, even after massive postpartum shed-not sure what it will be when these regrowth tufts grow back into my ponytail, and I never measured before but doubt it was ever over 5").
    Layers help to keep my waist length hair a totally manageable mass to deal with, but also texture/genes. Fine would mean there would be a ton of strands to possibly tangle and coarse with its challenges, curls and waves unpredictable. My hair is straight, medium, and not tangly even if it's always down. Easy. Boring, but easy.
    Long hair until Henna disaster April 2014.... Big Chop April 2015 to cut it out. Growing my natural color long! My blog

The Naughty Mess says.... Seeshami's Avatar
    Length
    4/51.5/Until
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

NO. I would rather shave my head then use a bbb.

I spread my hair out over my back and sides and slowly walk away from my shower head, then I slough the water in my hair out and do it again.

Hahaha haha detangle....that's cute. I brush with a body shop paddle brush and I don't have the time or sanity to comb my hair unless absolutely no other option is available. Like the fork at work.

Cinnabun, braids. I couldn't do many of the wrap buns till waist. I still can't keep an infinity bun in.

I have a u and sometimes v hemline. At classic and since BSL, I really don't think "triangle head" is a problem. Before that my hair was almost always braided and or up.

Long face framing layers. I like mini flexis to clip out of the way, to the sides to the back or side swept. High buns can eat them. I also have a beautiful custom made metal work head band I have blogged about.

The naughty mess says, "I plead innocent!"
    Should have kept your snaggles off the keyboard and plead the 5th.

Length
    30.5/~47/term
    Type
    2c/3a/C/iii

My hair has a 5" circumference at the top, and 1"-1 1/2" at the bottom.

Some hair isn't made for BBBing, and mine is one of them. BBB brushing makes my hair even drier than it usually is, and tangles it even worse than it usually tangles. Presumably if my hair liked BBBing I would do it in sections, just like I have to do everything else.

I stand under the spray until there's no chance that it isn't all out. My hair's been better about rinsing everything out lately, so I must be doing something right.

Comb. It didn't work at all before, but I've been moisturizing it more aggressively and now a comb goes through it in only about 20 minutes, sometimes even less time!

Shoulder+ to waist: low ponytail, braid.
    Waist: painful cinnabun. Amish braids have worked on me since I first tried them, which I think was about waist length. One Ficcare doesn't work, but two do.
    Hip: comfortable cinnabun, painful LWB.
    Classic and longer: everything I've tried, except anything based on a high ponytail. Stick buns are still painful because the entire weight of the bun is concentrated on a relatively small spot.

Length. And I'm slowly getting fairytale ends due to not cutting, but mostly it's length.

I'm pretty much growing my hair out because I hate going to hairdressers, and bangs require going all the time...so no, no bangs.
    Now: fingertip+ when dry, almost knee when wet

Favorite hairstyles: Elling Woman bun Amish braids

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'm just over 4 inches, so not super thick, but yes thick enough to have "issues" with it.

I don't use my BBB anymore, not since letting the waves out. A BBB would destroy my wavy texture, so it's not combed or brushed the entire week. It just gets combed/brushed before a wash, and combed out post-wash on damp hair. For the rest it's just left alone. Best routine *ever*. For a brush I have a Tangle Teezer. Best brush out there, IMO.

For washing, it is done in sections. The back of the head, the top of the head and the two sides each get a glob of shampoo and it is massaged in sections, rinsed out in sections. That makes it more manageable.

I can just about do a LWB at this length (and wrap around twice and a tiny bit). A cinnamon bun is comfy for a while then falls out mostly as it's not coiled enough yet (can just wrap around once). A nautilus is way out of reach. I'm within an inch of TBL right now.

I have layers and they've been cut according to the compact cut method for layering (ponytail on top of the forehead for shorter layers). My longest layer is almost TBL, and my shortest layer is almost BSL. So no triangle head for me. Also no bangs for me ever again (hair is too greasy).

About the "mop" head. Kind of resent that word... sorry.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Hibernis View Post

BBBs only before wash day. Otherwise they kill my waves.

I feel around.

shower: wide tooth cheap plastic comb, out of shower (wet hair): same cheap plastic comb dry hair: ball less paddle brush

I can kind of cinnabun? and claw clips. Two sticks work well for me.

I just deal with it. Not everyone gets to have it.

I quoted your post so I could answer the questions.
    Growing to knee! At HIP currently

Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post

About the "mop" head. Kind of resent that word... sorry.
    Removed it - don't know if the title change will update to the board though. I meant it affectionately but if it makes for unhappy then it can go
    Last edited by Hibernis; August 3rd, 2014 at 08:16 PM.