Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History of Hair-bang-ing

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Default History of Hair-bang-ing

I've had this question one for a while: how long have bangs(fringes) been in existence? Who wore them? And how many cultures have had them? The Internet has not been very helpful, as it only gives me results from this past century. I've been wondering ever since I heard a fringe mentioned in a historical fiction book set in Scotland.

Research gave me these results:
    --The hime cut in Japan, worn mainly by nobility and consisting of straight bangs with two side locks cut as well
    --Hair of the ancient Egyptians, who left many records and pictures showing either bangs, people with very low foreheads, or wigs with bangs
    --Men in the Middle Ages
    --Curly Victorian bangs.
    Can anyone help me out? I'm very curious, and Google search seems determined to purposefully misunderstand me, sending me to millions (literally) of different sites about hair in the twentieth century. While they are interesting, that's not what I'm looking for. I can see how bangs could be considered high-maintenance, thus the hime cut being reserved for nobility, but I am curious to see if any other cultures cut the hair over their foreheads short.

Another reason that I'm asking is that I am intensely interested in bangs, enjoy them on myself, and am trying to justify wearing them, because many people want their hair one length. I'm also interested in historical reenactment, and am interested to see if there is any group that wears a fringe as well. I'm hoping that at least some other people history can back me up!

Length
    SL/mbl/???
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: History of Hair-bang-ing

http://www.ukhairdressers.com/histor...f%2520hair.asp

This is probably the best I could find, but I suspect you might have already come across it.

Sorry link isn't working. The piece is entitled the history of hair and ancient civilisations, the site is ukhairdressers.com
    Last edited by diddiedaisy; July 28th, 2014 at 04:35 PM.

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

I'm sorry, Diddiedaisy, but the link didn't work.

Length
    18/29,5/33
    Type
    1b/M/ii

hey Entangled, I suggest checking out old paintings, they show the fashion and style of the given era. do you have access to albums with paintings? some museums have their collections online. You could check that...? it's a very interesting topic to ponder about. I'd be interested in your findings

SSSLLL - AAAPPPLLL - SSSBBBLLL - MMMBBBLLL - WWWLLL

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

That was interesting, Diddiedaisy, though not what I was looking for. Thanks for an interesting read!

As for paintings, Stachelbeere, that is a great idea. However, human history is such a vast concept that I don't know where to start. I have been unsuccessful in trying to narrow down my search.

Most places give me a vague overview, which is fine, but not helpful to me on my quest to discover the prevalence of bangs.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Interesting stuff! I wish I knew a lot more about it...
    In addition to the periods/cultures Entangled mentioned, I'd add Ancient Rome: they had a few popular styles with very prominent halo-like curly bangs like the one in the middle picture here: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...86272195339456

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

I love reading about Janet Stephens. What she's doing with hair and archeology is so fascinating!

Type
    2a/2b/F/i/ii

I think (but don't quote me) that the ancient Egyptians had fringes. I've seen hieroglyphs depicting women with a fringe wearing some sort of head band type thing.

Length
    26/Calf/?
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

Yes, I've found the same thing. I wondered how that factored into class structure? I mean, were bangs or fringes specific to anyone?

Also, I am looking for things in cultures all over the world, not just Europe.
    Last edited by Entangled; July 29th, 2014 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Clarification

Length
    ear/chin/tbl
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Shoulder BSL Waist Hip TB Classic