Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hair for working at an airport?

Type
    2a/F/i

Default Hair for working at an airport?

Hi all!

So, starting tomorrow I'm going to be working at an airport at an airshow for a week. I live in Oshkosh, Wisconsin and we host EAA, the biggest air show in the world. Anyway, I got a job as security. It's an airport, so there is no shade...it's just open nothingness as far as the eye can see...well aside from a couple thousand airplanes and vendors. As part of my uniform I have to wear the baseball hat provided (along with this SUPER glamorous highlighter orange vest, complete with reflective tape. Yeah, you know you're jealous! ) Anyways...I was thinking of doing a heavy coconut oiling tonight and sleeping with it in braids, re-braiding in the morning and putting on the hat and going but I want to make sure those ends are not getting damaged by the sun and they'll be sticking out. I can't get a bun to work with the hat either and however I situate my hair, it NEEDS to stay put all day because I won't have access to anything but a port-o-potty and can't see to fix it...buns in general don't hold very well on me, regardless of what I hold them with. So, is a heavily oiled braid sufficient? I heard coconut oil has some sun blocking properties to it, but I want to make sure I'm not bleaching the crap out of the ends of my hair.

I'm guessing I'll probably end up washing much more than I normally do, to get the diesel fuel and burning rubber smell out of my hair before bed, so the coconut oilings would be good for that... Not to mention sweaty hat hair lol

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/ii

Default Re: Hair for working at an airport?

I would not wear a hat with heavily oiled hair.

Lightly oiled length/ends perhaps. I used to wear a hat six days a week for work and I always braided it and folded it up to protect the ends from rubbing.
    Since it is only a week in the sun I wouldn't worry about sun damage too much .

Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist?-Hip-Tailbone--GOALOn to classic?

Type
    2a/F/i

That's what I meant, just a few drops on my length...enough to help hold my layers on nicely. Never on the scalp though, the oiled bits would not be in the hat, unless I tucked it inside. The hat is pretty snug but I will try doing that.

Oh how embarrassing, you never said anything about tucking it LOL How did you get your folded braid to stay folded?

Length
    <3in/Chin?/TMI
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I wouldn't worry too much about 1 week in the sun either

You could try doing a French braid, tie off the end as usual and tucking the end right up into the little pocket. It will stay there if you pin it with a bobby pin or two. I pin it through the hair tie for extra security but that might be a bit breaky on fine hair, and anyway your hat should hold it in place.

sorry nothing to add. I usually wear dutch braids because they hold best for me under hats.

I just wanted to add I am so jealous you get to go to OSH, this is the first one i've missed in probably 15 years. The airshows are the the best.

hope you enjoy it for me, I always have a blast. Oh & theVooDoo Daddies are playing this year as well (now i'm sad)

Length
    17/APL/34
    Type
    3b/M/C/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine <3 View Post
    How did you get your folded braid to stay folded?
    When I have done this hairstyle in the past, I would do a single french braid, then, instead of tying the end and leaving it down, fold the length in half (up to the nape of your neck) and tie it there, just as if you were doing a low ponytail. Then end result looks a bit like a loop. This would protect your ends from the sun somewhat as well, although I would not think you would retain too much sun damage either way.

Type
    2a/F/i

Aww, Jib, I'm sorry you're missing it! I grew up here, so I've been to the airshows since 2 years of age. Never missed one and I'm thrilled to be working there this year! I spend most of my life living directly crossed the street from it. Hugs to you!

I think I will just put my hair into a dutch braid that is lightly oiled and just go with that. Thank you everyone for the ideas!

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/ii

I just fold up the length twice and tie it with a home-made stocking hairtie. My work hat was tight, so I couldn't tuck my hair in.

If the oiled bits are in the hat, but not on top/the roots I think you'll be fine.

Length
    Chin/Hip/TBL
    Type
    3b/F/ii

You could perhaps paranda it. If you make a fairly thick one it'll protect the ends and some of the hair from the sun.

I'd go for a color that matches your hat or looks more professional.

Type
    2a/F/i

Ohhh, I like the idea of a paranda! I grew out of the one I made though and haven't gotten around to making a new one. Now I wish I had! I'll have to get some fun colored yarn now that you've reminded me...

I think I'll stick with just a braid for now. I just checked the weather for tomorrow and it's supposed to be cold, cloudy and rainy...lol