Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is it possible to trim/cut over processed bleached hair?

Unhappy How is it possible to trim/cut over processed bleached hair?

This may sound like a very idiotic question and I apologize if it does but to make my hair healthier I have to cut my hair since its over processed. I've decided to get layers but I just wanted to know if it was even possible to get my hair cut since hairstylists have to wet your hair and when my hair is wet it gets very gummy and it sticks together. It falls off and breaks just by touching or running my fingers through it. Wouldn't it just make their job harder or even impossible? I'm just really scared of the fact that all my hair is going to fall out. Cutting off all the damage is definitely out of the question since it's almost time to get back to school and I get bullied enough. Is it possible to ask them not to wet it? Or do they have some kind of trick for over processed hair? Please help me!

Length
    waist/BSL+/...?
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: How is it possible to trim/cut over processed bleached hair?

You can get a dry cut...I always do now. Just ahead call and find someone who doesn't mind doing a dry cut.

Summer of 2017...after "The Chop."

Account Closed by Member Request

Of course you can have your hair cut dry.
    But if it's literally damaged to the point where it melts off you hair as soon as it gets wet, how on earth do you even wash and detangle it.
    I had badly overprocessed hair once and gradually lost alot through breakage, but as a result i decided to cut ALL the damage indeed at some point.
    If the case is that severe i doubt you could avoid the big chop and still have presentable hair, dunno...

EIther way, it takes patience and TLC, theres not quick fix or wonder hairdresser to instantly solve the problem.
    Good luck!

Length
    20/TBL/TBL!
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I had to go in for a trim a week ago (ugh) and got 1/4 of an inch off dry.
    Just ask. Most stylists don't have a problem with it.
    Could you post pics of your hair so we can offer better advice?

Length
    20/TBL/TBL!
    Type
    2a/M/iii

I had to go in for a trim a week ago (ugh) and got 1/4 of an inch off dry.
    Just ask. Most stylists don't have a problem with it.
    Could you post pics of your hair so we can offer better advice?

Length
    20/TBL/TBL!
    Type
    2a/M/iii

Double post!!! Sorry

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Stylists can cut hair dry. However, in order to get nice even results, they like to straighten your hair if it's dry, and it doesn't sound like your hair could take the heat right now. Talk with your stylist. He or she will have a better idea of how to give you best results.

Account Closed by Member Request

Actually instead of wetting it, i oil mine heavily when giving myself a trim. But then again you need to wash the oil out afterwards anyways.
    I agree that flat ironing at this stage wouldnt be a good idea tho.

I would still suggest to just get rid of the damage, most of it will break by itself anyways, cause tangles and friction and affect the not yet so damaged hair further up.
    No matter what it looks like after the cut, see it as lesson learned and not only the negative side. Short hair can look amazing, imho much better than fried and medium length.

Length
    18 in/18in/floor

Get a dry cut. I'd cut as short as you dare go, to get rid of the lot. Coconut oil really helped me when my hair was at that gummy bleached stage. It doesn't repair the damage but it can help with moisture temporarily as you wait for it to grow.
    *hug* try ignore bullies. No one at school knows ANYTHING, trust me.

Chin - Shoulder - Oxter - BraStrap - Waist - Hip - TailBone - Classic - Knee - Ankle - Floor

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

P.S: I once made the huge mistake of adding baking soda to my shampoo, and it dried my hair out so bad that it matted together like felt. I couldn't get a comb through it unless it was wet and full of conditioner. That is the only way I could comb it. I was just thinking that if the stylist does feel he or she needs to wet your hair to give a good cut, he or she will probably use a very coney conditioner to aid in manipulating your hair. What would break off is going to break off anyway.

Short hair is still within the acceptable realm of hair fashion, isn't it? I wouldn't think you'd be bullied for having short hair. And even so - with bullies, anything goes. If they're not picking on you for one thing, they'll pick on you for something else. Learn to stand up for yourself; you'll get more respect.
    Last edited by spidermom; July 20th, 2014 at 05:04 PM.