Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What's your reason for long hair?

Default What's your reason for long hair?

I apologize if this has already been asked, but I tried look for a previous thread and I could not find anything.

Anyway, what is your reason for long hair? And why do you want it to be as long as it is/will be?

Right now, my hair is about 18 inches long. It's fine, but there's a ton of hair. It has lots of layers and combined with my lack of artistic ability when it comes to my hands, I am unable to style it in even a simple pony tail. It's about 3 inches from BSL, but I'm hoping to grow it out to my elbows, which would be about 9 more inches. My hair is straight, with just a tiny bit of wave because of the layers, but if I let it air dry during the day, it tends to turn into frizz.

Reason: I've always loved longer hair on girls, it's much more feminine to me. When my hair is short, I tend to look a little manly and gross. Of course, the length my hair is out right now is fine. The reason I want to grow it out to my elbows is so that I can actually style it and have fun with it. I used to have long hair (down to my waist!) when I was in the second grade, but then I chopped it all off because it kept getting caught on things. I've been keeping my hair in better condition, trimming it when it starts to get stringy or too damaged, so hopefully I will be able to have long and beautiful hair soon.

Length
    32/43/50
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/iii

Default Re: What's your reason for long hair?

For me, I just love it

I love to play with it, I love to style it...heck, I even love searching for those pesky split ends

and yes, not only do I love the way it looks, I also can't get enough of other people's compliments on it (I need some artificial ego every once in a while!).

As for why I want to grow it out as long as it'll get...first, I like a personal challenge, especially ones that take time and dedication. Second, curiosity...I want to know if I have the genetics it takes for some great floor-length hair! Third, all the styling possibilities. Fourth, even more compliments. Already if I wear my hair up, I get complimented on my "beautiful thick" braid or bun, and if I wear it down there are so many amazed people that tell me how much they love it.

I'm really not sure what started it except that I had long hair when I was little, cut it to shorter than my chin around age 12, decided I didn't like the styles at awkward lengths (I've never used heat styling or coloring, permed once and regretted it) and decided I was tired of going in for haircuts, so I just let it keep growing.

Besides, I am pretty plain and firmly believe that my hair is my only notable characteristic, so I plan to make the most of it
    Last edited by psycho; September 20th, 2008 at 12:12 AM. Reason: one more thought

Length
    S-L/APL/BSL
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

I have never had long hair, not even as a child. Yippie for growing up in the seventies and eighties! I have a wave/curl to my hair that doesn´t go well with short hair - I know this, because I have thried all sorts of haircuts above the colarbone. Longer hair goes better with my hairtype. If I had fine straight hair, I would atleast get bangs! Or even some Prince Valiant type of cut. It just in the cards, I guess.

Length
    CL/CL/BSL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I had long hair most of my life. Cut it at 40 and am now growing it long again. It makes me feel more like myself, then I did with short hair.
    ~Renegray Gang Member~

Length
    13"/27.5"/32"
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

This may sound strange and totally crazy, but it is to mourn the passing of someone. There is a complex number of reasons that this is appropriate, and it is too soon to go into that much depth. What it comes down to is that this is the best way I can think of to honour her memory.

This will likely make it very difficult if it comes to a day when I decide to cut my long hair short, but in the meantime, growing my hair, feeling more feminine, getting in touch with my "hippie"/nature-loving side and having fun with it is a huge part of my healing process. I feel like I am celebrating and continuing on a part of the spirit that was lost.
    Work in progress!

Length
    25/38.4/50
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I have long hair because I like it, I like the look, the hairstyles and so on... and I am just too lazy to have short hair.

Banned
    Length
    SL/Waist/Hips
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

I like it, plain and simple. I find long hair easy to deal with than short hair.

Interesting screen name by the way.

Type
    1b/M/ii

I love long hair! My hair has always been reasonably long all my life and I enjoy growing it and caring for it. I think it is beautiful and feminine. I also have a few spiritaul reasons too.

I did have a shorter goal length but now it's extended to classic length or possibly beyond..

Length
    26.5/30/36.5
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I've always loved it and wanted to have long hair, but never really did, so it's about time I grow it out! I can't see myself with short hair anymore I've always been upset with myself when I cut it shorter. So I'm finally going to get what I've always dreamed of having. I like taking care of my hair and I think long hair will suit me perfectly!

I only look confused. Arctic_Mama's Avatar
    Length
    Shldr/Waist/Knee
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

I love beautiful, healthy hair. I look better with it than without it. My husband has a STRONG preference for long, long hair and I adore updos. I want to be able to do all those stunning buns and braids I always see, but my hair is freakishly thick so it needs to be well beyond classic to do some of them. I want to see how long it can go. It's heavy and shiny and smells great and I know how soft and lustrous it can be... I want a full head of the healthy hair I have now. The vain part of me loves the reactions I get!

Gosh, so many reasons. It's feminine and it's mine.
    The hair is the richest ornament of women. - Martin Luther
    Goal: Virgin knee length