Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not sure whether I should cut my fried ends, I need advice!

Default I'm not sure whether I should cut my fried ends, I need advice!

I have 2B, fine, waist length hair. Here are some pics (albeit about 4 months old, but they're the only ones I have as my camera's broken):

Currently, the top 4 inches of my hair have never been colored or straightened. The rest of my hair has been bleached to platinum (I have light brown hair naturally) and blowdried and straightened daily. However, I was taking pretty decent care of my hair otherwise, so it isn't too terribly damaged. But, the last 2~ inches, as you can probably tell, are dry and frizzy. That hair was dyed dark brown, then bleached to platinum (without using color stripper), and now dyed to light brown - so it's been through a lot.

I get a fair amount of split ends but I search & destroy on a regular basis. I'm not sure what to do because I don't want to lose length, however, my ends are not the greatest looking (especially if I don't style them) and I'm worried about the possibility of damage traveling further up my hair strands (not sure if that's actually true, I've just heard it on Youtube videos).

Any advice/helpful anecdotes that might help me decide whether to cut or not, are greatly appreciated!

Length
    32/42/44
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

Default Re: I'm not sure whether I should cut my fried ends, I need advice!

From what I understand, split ends 'travel' when hair gets wet. When hair gets wet, it takes up water which makes it expand, this stretches the cuticle of the hair further, which makes the split larger. The best thing you can do to protect again that is soak your hair in coconut oil before it gets wet. Because it penetrates the hair it has a sort of waterproofing effect.

Coconut oil is also supposed to be good for bleached hair too I think? (for a number of reasons that I can't remember sorry, I don't have bleached hair so they doesn't stick in my mind).

I couldn't guess if you needed to trim or not. You hair looks nice in the pictures but I guess it depends how you feel about it and whether you feel like babying them is worth the effort. I'm a big fan of S&D but other people find it very tedious.

Grew from shoulder to thumb length in 7 years without trims. Now maintaining.
    There once was a girl, who had a little curl, right in the middle of her forehead. When she was good she was very, very good. But when she was bad she was horrid.

Account Closed by Member Request

I would cut the two inches and keep the ends in a protective style often. Oiling or using a serum sure does help, as well as something like a protein rich leave in does for me.

Length
    14"/BSL/30"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I would cut the bottom two and just be done with it. And yes, damage will travel up the strand! Your hair is beautiful now but I think that you will probably much happier in the long run if you trim the ends up now.
    Jaw - Chin - SL - CBL - APL - BSL - MBL - Waist
    2b M ii
    Forever Trimming by the Moon.

Length
    36/??/45
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

I also had fried and fuzzy looking ends a few months ago. The last three inches of my hair were a completely different color from the rest of my hair just from being straightened (I have never dyed my hair). Instead of trying to baby the ends to avoid losing length, I just cut off the last three inches of my hair. Leaving it alone will just eventually make it worse, and it is a good idea to start fresh. Like others have said, split ends just get longer up your strand, there isn't much you can do to "repair" them. Your hair is absolutely lovely by the way
    apl ~ bsl ~ waist ~ hip ~ tbl ~ classic

Thanks everyone for all the kind words! That put a big smile on my face. And based on your advice I'm quite sure I'm going to cut it. It will grow back after all!

And yeah cathair I agree! I forgot to mention I've been using coconut oil for about a year now, it's worked wonders on most of my hair! Also, I can't beat the fact that a 7$ jar has lasted me over a year Unfortunately these dead ends seem to be resistant to just about anything, so, I guess their time has come >.<

Length
    14"/BSL/30"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I wish that you could be my client! I never cut off more than people wish for. Good luck with your trim. Are you planning on doing it yourself?
    Jaw - Chin - SL - CBL - APL - BSL - MBL - Waist
    2b M ii
    Forever Trimming by the Moon.

Quote Originally Posted by blace View Post
    I wish that you could be my client! I never cut off more than people wish for. Good luck with your trim. Are you planning on doing it yourself?
    Quote Originally Posted by blace View Post
    Thanks blace! If you don't cut off more than than the client wants.. I wish I could be your client! also :P Yes I'm going to do it myself, for the exact reason you somewhat predicted, hairdressers always take too much off :/ I haven't had a hairdresser cut my hair in 4 years for that reason, it's too bad because I used to have a great hairdresser but I had to move due to my work so I'm on my own now! I'd like to get rid of my shabby ends myself, then go for a proper haircut afterwards to shape my hair nicely and such

Sorry for the double quote, I'm somewhat new to this