Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad summer hair! HELP!

The Grey Havens (aka Canadian West Coast)
    Length
    SDL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Bad summer hair! HELP!

My hair right now is getting dry and damaged from being down all the time! I love my hair long but i want to keep it healthy and easy to work with. Im having to wash my hair more often because sweaty summer head makes my hair greasy faster is there any EASY EASY EASY summer updos for waist length hair thats isnt a bun or requires forks/sticks? I have a middle part but can aslo work from the side. I can do almost any braid style but want to keep it simple and quick for morning routine.

Suggestions for me or anyone else with a mid summer hair crisis?!

Benevolent neglect to get me through my first no-trim year: aiming for TB then CL

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Bad summer hair! HELP!

Braids pinned up are attractive and protect from damage. Braids swinging around aren't so protective.

Length
    <3in/Chin?/TMI
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Seconding pinned braids!

If the stick/fork issue is that you don't want to buy a hairstick, you can still do a lazy wrap bun or whatever with a pencil. When I was a teenager I used to know an incredibly glamorous and stylish French girl who would do that all the time, it can look great.

Length
    pixie/apl+/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Pinned up braids are probably the easiest thing you can do. It also looks super cute like here. You can also do a crown braid, which will take a bit more time but it isn't difficult, like here.
    Pixie ---> Chin ---> Shoulder --->CBL ---> APL --->BSL --->Waist

Length
    SDL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Thanks ladies! I will try the pinned braids but I have the notion my ends might be a little thin to look nice in a milkmaid style.

And I stay away from buns (sticks or no sticks) because I just don't look the look of them on myself :/

Benevolent neglect to get me through my first no-trim year: aiming for TB then CL

Length
    <3in/Chin?/TMI
    Type
    2a/M/ii

You don't have to do milkmaid style- look at bunzfan's signature pic for example (e.g. in this thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=123910, sorry to stalk you bunzfan but I do love that updo)

It looks like she makes 2 dutch braids (but you could just do English), folds them & secures to her head. Yes, she uses a Ficcare but you could easily pin it that way. Or you can do the same thing with one braid.

That way, the ends can be folded under for protection & they will also be hidden

Length
    SDL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by two_wheels View Post
    You don't have to do milkmaid style- look at bunzfan's signature pic for example (e.g. in this thread http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=123910, sorry to stalk you bunzfan but I do love that updo)

It looks like she makes 2 dutch braids (but you could just do English), folds them & secures to her head. Yes, she uses a Ficcare but you could easily pin it that way. Or you can do the same thing with one braid.

That way, the ends can be folded under for protection & they will also be hidden
    Oo I like the Dutch idea! I'm growing out bangs and that would be perfect to keep the out of the way!

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

The French or Dutch pinless (braid/bun) comes to mind.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrlkGLzboHE
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    SDL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    The French or Dutch pinless (braid/bun) comes to mind.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrlkGLzboHE
    Wow thats beautiful!!! Maybe i will have to buy a set of stick now hahaha

Length
    26/FTL/47
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii

You could do a folded braid, or a tucked French braid (you stick the tail in the "pocket" the braid creates. You might try a Gibson tuck ( make a ponytail, then tuck the tail into the hair pocket), but that might be tricky with your length.

I don't know how this factors difficulty-wise, but since you mentioned braids, you could try a crown braid. It might be too tricky to wear on a daily basis... I know I sure don't.

Sorry I'm not much help, but a hairstick is a good investment. I have three--two cheap-ish plastic ones and a wooden one I got at a Ren faire, and the peace of mind they've afforded me has been worth it. Good luck!