Page 81 of 81 FirstFirst ... 3171798081

Thread: Make your own flexi 8 type hairclip! Or modify a flexi!

Length
    0.25/50/Term
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: Make your own flexi 8 type hairclip! Or modify a flexi!

Quote Originally Posted by ynne View Post
    I was just thinking about this – is it sturdy enough, or do you have to re-shape it after wearing?
    I find that if I tighten the beads enough it keeps a nice shape, that I still can reshape a little bit depending on the bun if needed. But it doesn't get a weird shape or anything.

I will crawl out from your screen

Lady Raven, Guardian of the Enchanted Forests of Nevermore. In The Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

With leather flexis, how would one attach the center piece (specifically one-hole button)? I couldn't find much on leather flexis on the recent pages that aren't missing pictures...

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Do you mean the LR leather flexis? I don't know how to modify actual flexis with a button, because they're constructed to be held in the 8 shape with the metal bit that holds the two sides together. The leather flexis appear to be the same, from what I can see. Unless you had thread or a thin piece of leather/suede you could put through the shank (hole) then wrap it around the middle of the flexi to keep it in shape.
    Growing back to definite-calf length with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Do you mean the LR leather flexis? I don't know how to modify actual flexis with a button, because they're constructed to be held in the 8 shape with the metal bit that holds the two sides together. The leather flexis appear to be the same, from what I can see. Unless you had thread or a thin piece of leather/suede you could put through the shank (hole) then wrap it around the middle of the flexi to keep it in shape.
    Sorry for being unclear! I meant flexis from scratch, with hollow leather and a wire inside. I'm imagining it could be constructed similarly to beaded flexis, but the leather would endure and look better with something to "close it" near the center, like some LR leather flexis have, like the metal components here that would go over the leather itself? And then the middle part could be a button or another type of centerpiece..?

edit: I originally asked because the method I found a tutorial for, by C_Bookworm here, involved connecting the tubes completely, resembling the other type of leather flexis. I think I'd like to try that type as well, but ultimately I'd like to see if I can combine them with a centerpiece! And maybe someone tried it before?
    Last edited by ynne; October 27th, 2020 at 03:23 AM.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ??/Calf/Calf+
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Sorry for being unclear! I meant flexis from scratch, with hollow leather and a wire inside. I'm imagining it could be constructed similarly to beaded flexis, but the leather would endure and look better with something to "close it" near the center, like some LR leather flexis have, like the metal components here that would go over the leather itself? And then the middle part could be a button or another type of centerpiece..?

edit: I originally asked because the method I found a tutorial for, by C_Bookworm here, involved connecting the tubes completely, resembling the other type of leather flexis. I think I'd like to try that type as well, but ultimately I'd like to see if I can combine them with a centerpiece! And maybe someone tried it before?
    Whoops, didn't come back to this before, sorry. So like the first type, I would have thought using two separate pieces of leather for the loops, so you can put the wire through the shank of the button after the first loop as you cross over to the other side to make the second.

The second type, I was thinking of the thin piece of leather threaded through the shank of the button, so it both holds the 8 shape (presumably with fewer wraps around the middle) and the centerpiece is secured on it. With it done as in the tutorial it seems to me the thin piece wrapped around almost *is* the centerpiece in itself, whereas with few enough wraps around it would be covered or mostly covered by the additional centerpiece.
    Growing back to definite-calf length with hopefully some semblance of a hemline.
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/Knee
    Type
    2b/F/iii

Ha, I remember that! It was fun.

With the leather bolos, it looks like the single loop is hidden in one end of the metal piece. Sorry for the odd angle, I had a terrible time getting the camera to focus on the correct area.

Any sort of centerpiece big enough to run the metal through it twice and obscure the loops should work well. Looks like itíll take end caps for the leather and a few small beads so that the end caps arenít directly abutting the centerpiece.

Like this:
    Lady Ravenlocks, Keeper of the Secret Library in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    No trim 2020