Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compulsive choppers/bleachers support thread

Length
    6/HL+/CL
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii/iii

Red face Compulsive choppers/bleachers support thread

Hey all

If a similar thread is already here, please excuse me!
    I wanted to make a support thread for all of you here with compulsive cutting tendencies. I've seen quite a few people struggling with this including myself.

You have nice long hair, you almost reach your goal, and then... you get bored and cut it all off, only to regret it a week later and feel horrible about your short hair for months. This can repeat itself every few months or year or so.

(example: I've been doing this for years and had held it up for a long long time until I caved and chopped off all of my MBL hair into a mohawkish pixie..*shame*)

The same goes for messing it up with bleach or chemical dyes. Haha so yeah.. here's to supporting one another and preventing the later regretted cut/dye job and help each other reach the wanted milestones!

Post here if you are about to cut/dye and suspect that you will regret it hugely, or you just want to vent.

Of the Fae
    Lady Bainwen, Scribe of Glorious Horizons in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Starting over...
    Ear
    -Chin-Shoulder-APL-BSL-Waist-HL-BCL-TBL-Classic

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: Compulsive choppers/bleachers support thread

I found that pre-BSL length, I couldn't manage to control myself on the experimenting (dye, bleach, henna, whathaveyou). Once I got past BSL, that all magically stopped. It was just getting past that stage, past a certain stage. I had a bad dye incident (chemical cut, chemical burn etc.) that made me see the "error of my ways", and since then I grew it back out and I've been in the longer lengths.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    19/38/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

With me, it's been the dye, and swinging back and forth between fringe/ no fringe. SO frustrating. Why can't I just leave my hair alone?

Length
    12"/20"/32"
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

OMG! THIS is sooooo me!!!! I am within an inch or two of the longest I've managed to get since childhood... I am sticking to it this time! I have to be capable of some kind of self control, right?

Length
    pixie/apl+/waist
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

Thank you for starting this! I've spoken several times about my compulsive stress cutting. It really doesn't help that I look so good in pixies, because all it takes is one bad day, off goes my hair, and the compliments start rolling in. No one in my real life (except my bf) seems to understand that chopping it off is bad for me and my mental state. Joining LHC has helped me hugely, but I'm getting worried because I'm due for a trim. I've spoken at length about my fear and distrust of salons, but I also don't trust myself to cut it either. I'm genuinely distressed about how many people here champion trimming at home, because that's such a slippery slope for me. I don't want to throw away all the work I've been putting in, all the staying strong during the awkward stages could go out the window
    Pixie ---> Chin ---> Shoulder --->CBL ---> APL --->BSL --->Waist

Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Wow I really belong in this thread! I'm now at pixie length because I thought it would be nice to have short hair again. Wrong. And now I'm also growing out my virgin hair so my hair is a mix of blonde/orange/ashy mess with mousy roots. Yay! I need to keep myself from cutting or dyeing it, but it's sooo hard now that it looks.. so terrible! I think I need a hug haha..

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Heeeeeeello! I am constantly in a chop-grow-layer-hate layer- chop- grow.............hate layer cycle. Hoping to break it this time.
    Growing to knee! At HIP currently

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

I am an compulsive chopper. Anything that feels less than silky is gone.
    Anything that looks fried or straggly is gone.

My problem is I am very harsh when judging my hair. A lot could have been salvaged with proper care.
    I always assume since I bleach the hair is "bad" and needs removed.
    Last edited by ErinLeigh; April 15th, 2014 at 06:52 AM.
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by kganihanova View Post
    Heeeeeeello! I am constantly in a chop-grow-layer-hate layer- chop- grow.............hate layer cycle. Hoping to break it this time.
    So true. Hoping to change this.
    Layers are my Achilles heel.
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

I used to do that. I'd decide to grow it out, then decide "it's been 2 WHOLE YEARS (from pixie), and it's not long yet. It's obviously not growing (although it was probably just past shoulder length by then), so I'm cutting it. Take that stubborn hair!"

I didn't acquire the patience to let it keep growing until I was in my mid-40s.