View Poll Results: How often do you pre-poo?

Voters
165. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once a week

85 51.52%
  • Once every 2 weeks

16 9.70%
  • Once a month

16 9.70%
  • Once every 2-4 months

14 8.48%
  • Never

34 20.61%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Do you pre-poo?

Length
    16/38/TBL
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Default Re: Do you pre-poo?

I pre-poo before every shampoo with some type of oil, usually argan or jojoba.
    CBL/APL/BSL​/MBL/Waist/Hip/TBL

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Once a week on average, usually every time I wash. Oil, and then conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    No, I get my moisture after a wash, from having my hair conditioned twice, then the LOC method on top of that. Makes it quite unnecessary to do a pre-shampoo treatment (tedious to me to have to apply something to your head then sit with it for half an hour or so before washing, might be just me ).
    Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet_Heart View Post
    I agree with lapushka. I never understood putting a treatment in your hair for a little while only to wash it out. Maybe it's a coarse-haired thing? But I need to put something in my hair to leave in there after it's washed. I use petroleum jelly and mineral oil combed through wet hair and left to dry.
    My pre-poo oil on lengths only stays in for a day or two, then the conditioner for at least an hour but usually more like a few hours. Anything less than an hour for conditioner (even without oil underneath) does not have the same results. With the conditioner it's not a case of sitting with it mopping up drips though otherwise I think I'd have had to find some alternative!

I don't use anything afterwards though, with the oil then C then W-ROO-C my hair is usually perfectly happy until my next pre-poo.
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    thigh/mbl/waist
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

In response to the previous post, I notice a difference in how drying my shampoo is on my lengths. I need heavier conditioners if I don't pre-poo, and as I need quite heavy conditioners already so finding even heavier than that is just a huge pain (not impossible, but annoying). I think it comes down to the shampoo having to wash off sebum (on the scalp hair) and oil (on the lengths) before it "gets to" the hair shaft. An extra barrier if you will. That's how the intention behind pre-pooing was told to me, and I find it works that way for me so
    2008: 24cm/10" 2015: 41cm/16" 2022: 120cm/48" // 2022: 52cm/21"
    instagram

Length
    13/37/32
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I chose once a month, but it's mostly random. I will do heavy oiling once in a while. I really like the action of rubbing oils into my hair (or other people's hair), though I'm not sure it made much difference. My hair is slick and doesn't absorb much. I don't like greasy hair so I shampoo really well and washed them off anyway.

Gimmee all the goats!!! GoatLady's Avatar
    Length
    Chin/TBL/TERM
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I messed up. I should've said every week.

Hurray! I've reached tailbone length! Last trim 1-2-23.
    Lady Roxanne,Keeper of the Caprines 🐐in the order of the Long Haired Knights.

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    Once a week on average, usually every time I wash. Oil, and then conditioner

I don't use anything afterwards though, with the oil then C then W-ROO-C my hair is usually perfectly happy until my next pre-poo.
    It's now more like every 2-3 weeks, still every time I do a full wash but my lengths are happier for longer
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    BSL/floor/floor
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/iii

No, I don't. The only form I've tried was CWC, but I didn't find it necessary.

Oh why haven't i been doing this for a long time already??.. i thought this is somehow far too laborious and messy. But it really doesn't have to be it. And I think this treatment is maybe the best for really dry hair. When i let the oil stay long time in my hair, it really changes the way it effects my hair, into better. (If i compare it for example to how i mix some amount of oil with conditioner and let it stay in my hair maybe five minutes.) The oil penetrates deeper into the hair shaft. The result of prepoo has been really something different... and it really isn't a great trouble when you are going to wash your hair anyway. And washing it possibly twice because of sticky coconut oil isn't that big trouble either... (Even though i didn't need this... I had oil only from my ears down and one shampoo and one conditioner were enough. Possibly i would have needed two washes if i had spread the oil also to my scalp and upper to my hair) I'd say this work is worth it. I usually let the oil stay in my hair overnight, but i haven't been doing this very many times yet.

Very good for tangles too!
    Last edited by Priska; April 3rd, 2023 at 10:55 AM.

Fiorentina A. Canaretti Fiorentina's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/Waist/Class
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Once a week
    A nice​ bun makes the day.

Length
    Bald/Pixie/Term

I do, I don't notice any difference when I do it though but somehow I like the ritual of pre poo shampoo twice condition twice