Thread: Coconut oil over cones?

Length
    28/44/40
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Coconut oil over cones?

Hello! I hope everyone is having a great day.

I'm changing around my hair care routine and I would love to use a leave-in with UV protection that has silicone in it, but I also like to put coconut oil in my hair a day or so before wash.
    So I'm wondering if coconut oil can penetrate hair shaft that is covered in silicone products? Or is it just going to sit on top?

I've been trying to find a scientific explanation and I was hoping that someone here on LHC can help me out.
    Last edited by Leeloo; April 10th, 2014 at 01:55 PM.

Lady Leeloo Minai, Keeper of the Fifth Key, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    2a-M-iiCL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HL-TBL-ClassicDrop by drop fills the tub” - Proverb

Length
    Chin/BSL/WL
    Type
    3c/4a/F/i

Default Re: Coconut oil over cones?

I am not sure but I sometimes apply coconut oil just to my ends on the day after a CO wash (with cones) and it appears to penetrate.

I don't seem to have a problem with build-up though. My products absorb very well into my porous hair and when rinsing with warm water before applying shampoo my hair starts feel very clean before I add anything.

Also I believe coconut oil molecules very small also and so they penetrate the hair shaft very well in any case.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

I'm pretty sure oil penetrates through cones and other oils. And even if they didn't, they would still work in practice, because it's virtually impossible to completely coat each strand with cones and then oil, there will be areas covered with just cones, others covered with just oils and most of your hair will be untouched.

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

From my personal experience, coconut oil does not penetrate over my cones. It just sits there. It goes over other oils fine, but on my hair it cannot get thru the cones. If I want to use both I have to apply the coconut oil first. This is actually the reason I gave up cones. Coconut oil ended up being more important to me. I have read so much about this subject and still never got an answer. Some say it can, some swear it cannot. It drives me bonkers not knowing so in the end I decided to go going off my results.

You will probably have to test and see how you hair reacts.
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Hm, I guess there is no way of knowing without a scientific experiment. It would be great if somebody with a microscope could test it out on a few hair strands.

Length
    shrug/33/45
    Type
    3a/F/ii

Coconut oil and cones works alright on my hair. I suspect this is a YMMV thing and all you can do is try it out and see what happens for you.
    Please look at my baking blog: http://princesscupcakescakes.blogspot.co.uk/