Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Calia!

Length
    27/30/35
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Default Re: Calia!

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    Saponified Palm Kernel Extract and/or Corn Glucose is what all their shampoos use apart from all the plant extracts and oils. So the shampoos are basically liquid soap (by the way, you can make your own, if you are into this).
    Also, "botanical tree essences as preservatives" in their ingredients lists could be too many things, not very clear labeling at all.
    Be cautious of waxes very high up in all their conditioners: those can build up fast.
    I would really like to try this shampoo, but looking at the costs for shipping to Europe makes me reconsider. It would be fun to try to make it myself as I love making my own shampoos, but I want to make more natural ones for the scalp. They say that it is pH balanced, but soaps are far from pH balanced. Either it is in a little concentration in the shampoo, or other ingredients neutralise it. Anyways, by making it on my own, did you mean getting liquid soap and putting oils and other ingredients?
    And I understand you, the same as some shampoos use "plant derived" surfactants that don't have much left from the plant and is just like any other chemical.
    Last edited by Enrapture; January 26th, 2015 at 01:36 PM.

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

^ Enrapture, judging by those ingredients, Citric Acid is what Calia uses to bring pH to neutral.
    Yes, you can make your own castile soap (vegetable oils based) and shampoo based on that, kind of what's in Dr. Bronners and other liquid soaps, but that can take quite a few tools and ingredients and quite a bit of work. I wouldn't go that route, unless it's for chemistry experimentation.
    There are some wholesale/bulk manufacturers that sell stuff to make your own soaps. You can research on your own and ask on the LHC Recipes forum: I'm sure we have people who make their own.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Shampoo/
    http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Liquid-Castile-Soap
    http://essencesupply.com/soapmaking/instruction.html

Personally, I definitely prefer other types of cleansers: soap is just not that skin/hair-friendly, IMHO, and we have better technology these days. I could be totally wrong but I suspect that many people like soaps just because they feel "rustic" or more traditional.

Type
    2b/F/M/ii

Thanks, Meteor, for the input! You are so spot-on. Not a rant at all! :-)

Length
    18/36/48
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Reviving up this thread from years ago... I'll be purchasing Calia shampoo and conditioners so in case anyone else searched up this thread another opinion will be coming soon... i've used bronners it's a great wash but tangles. I can use it on baby hair and mens short hair with fantastic results. I had best results using their rinse though it wasn't a long term solution for me frizz wise.

Length
    18/36/48
    Type
    2b/M/C/iii

Bumping this thread AGAIN!

My best friend got hydrating and she demanded I order it immediately. It made her hair silk. My hair is a birds nest, the opposite of silk. My order arrives sept 14th. I'm obsessed with shampoo bars so I only ordered their conditioners. But I ordered all but moisturizing (cause it's unscented.) I'll try it next order though. BF is a Calia convert (her words haha!) She's also using poo bars and has opposite hair of me; fine and thin. We're both wavy. But we don't want to only use acv or citric acid as conditioner. So the Calia brand goes along with our shampooing philosophy and needs.

I know there are haters on using soap instead of DETERGENT which is what commercial shampoos and conditioners are. Most people's hair does better then fine on detergents, but we have autoimmune and autoinflammtory issues. I'm wondering if that's why normal things flare us up.

Either way Calia seems to be the miracle conditioner for those who go the "washing with soap" route. I can't wait till mine comes!
    Virgin red hair, hip length. Last cut Nov. 2016 Second goal Classic length!
    --- Isaiah 55 ---
    --- Romans 14:11 ---

Length
    SL/HL/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I've used both the purifying conditioner and shampoo before and loved it very much. My only complaint was that it seemed to dry out my scalp more, but it could be do to many factors. At the time I had gone from every other day washes to once a week.
    I am really thinking about repurchasing, but maybe the hydrating or balancing line? Does anyone have any experience with dandruff and using one of the more hydrating lines?

Length
    28/39/44
    Type
    1b/1c/F/i/ii

What a coincidence! This brand independently popped up on my radar a few days ago--I really like the natural ingredients--and I've been emailing back and forth with the company. They have no vegan conditioners () but said they would "pass the suggestion along." I'm also waiting for them to get back to me about their cruelty free status. It's so hard finding a conditioner that meets all of my requirements! lol
    MBL | WL | HL | TBL | HL | TBL | CLSSC(?)

Length
    APL/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I've been wanting to try it out but I don't like trying things that people that clearly have had long long hair, for a long time, via YouTube promoting a product and claiming it helped with their hair health and growth. Holistichabits seems like a nice girl, but I've followed her on IG for awhile and tbh she's posted things that don't really align with her holistic views. She was the one That introduced this brand ... so eh. I'm going to stick with my sulphates and liveclean conditioner!

Length
    17/18/35
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Hello! I know this is an old post, but I want to give my personal review of this product,
    last year I find out about Calia also thanks to HolisticHabits, so I purchased the purifying shampoo and conditioner combo. I'm form Ecuador, so it arrived like 3 months later.
    I really enjoyed this product, both, the shampoo and conditioner has a nice faint herbal scent, and made my hair stop falling. Also because it's very difficult to find cone and sulfate free hair products on my area, and I liked the result of trying this kind of natural products.
    Since it's the oily hair line, I was using it for a month or so and then used another more mosturizing shampoo for a couple weeks and then I got back to the calia products, so my hair don't get too dry.
    It's been a couple month since I finish the bottles, so I repurchased the same Purifying Shampoo and Conditioner on a bigger presentation so it can last longer.
    I hope this review can help anybody out there who wants to give this product a try.
    SL --> APL --> BSL --> WL --> HL -->
    DEC16 --> MAY17 --> OCT17-->Someday....

Length
    pixie/26.5/34
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I love Calia, works really well for my hair and it’s canadian so I feel good about supporting a small Canadian company. Also if you’re in Europe you can order it off of https://www.sonaturalbeauty.com/en/ which is handy and probably less expensive for Europeans. I’ve used the balancing and purifying, I’ve found balancing works better for me and helps keep my hair feeling moisturized (I use both shampoo and conditioner).
    I’m waiting for a new order with the hydrating s&c and some more balancing as well as a hydrating leave in conditioner spray and a wooden brush. Ive been using shampoo bars from Chagrin valley occasionally and I always go back to Calia. Hope I like the hydrating formula as much as I like the balancing.