Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hard water question!

Length
    22/44/50
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Default Hard water question!

Does the hardness of your water have anything to do with how it affects your hair? Like will chemical process done to the hair have a harsher affect on someone that has been washing their hair with hard water? Some of the things I read online say it does not. However I feel like I might have hard water, not definitely sure, and it might be affecting my hair

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Hard water question!

In short, yup! This article is a good starting point: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...your-hair.html
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    22/44/50
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by MusicalSpoons View Post
    In short, yup! This article is a good starting point: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.co...your-hair.html
    The reason why I ask this is because i had virgin hair with 2 demi permanents on it, and then i got a full head of bleach highlights which completely destroyed my hair. I feel like one round should not have done this, I could be wrong. Thats why I was thinking it was my water. However before the highlights my hair was fine and grew actualy kind of fast, so idk

Lacemaking longhair MusicalSpoons's Avatar
    Length
    ~Tbl?/Floor/Calf+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Hmm, I see. I'm no expert on chemically processing hair but it could have been too high volume developer, left on for longer than necessary, or the demis did more damage than you thought? Water could certainly have a role to play as well, if it's changed at all recently (would be a very annoying coincidence for you though). Upon re-reading your first post I realise this is your central question: "will chemical process done to the hair have a harsher affect on someone that has been washing their hair with hard water?"
    I actually don't know, sorry (that will teach me to come on here late at night when I'm supposed to be sleeping and eagerly jump in without reading it properly). Hair in worse condition will fare worse with a chemical treatment than hair in better condition, but it also depends what exactly is done to prep the hair for bleach, which is where my knowledge runs out.

(I still highly recommend Science-y Hair Blog though, as a reliable source of accurate info about all sorts of hair topics.)
    Length goal well and truly met, now just seeing how it grows ...
    Picky scalp but easygoing hair, thank goodness

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles122 View Post
    Does the hardness of your water have anything to do with how it affects your hair? Like will chemical process done to the hair have a harsher affect on someone that has been washing their hair with hard water? Some of the things I read online say it does not. However I feel like I might have hard water, not definitely sure, and it might be affecting my hair
    I have had hard water all my life (white residue on the taps if you let it and don't maintain the taps or toilet bowl well). I have never had any issues with my hair. But that's my side of it.

There are people who apparently suffer from hard water. I don't see how, personally, because... Hey it's been this way all my life. My hair doesn't seem ruined, right?

I am now using a shampoo (kiwi shine from Schwarzkopf, long discontinued) that is esp. anti hard water, but apart from tangles gliding out better (last week, or it was a fluke, it happens), I haven't seen a difference really.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    22/44/50
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    I have had hard water all my life (white residue on the taps if you let it and don't maintain the taps or toilet bowl well). I have never had any issues with my hair. But that's my side of it.

There are people who apparently suffer from hard water. I don't see how, personally, because... Hey it's been this way all my life. My hair doesn't seem ruined, right?

I am now using a shampoo (kiwi shine from Schwarzkopf, long discontinued) that is esp. anti hard water, but apart from tangles gliding out better (last week, or it was a fluke, it happens), I haven't seen a difference really.

With hair as long and beautiful as yours that is good to know that hard water has no effect. Im basically tryjng to distract myself from the sheer fact that i think when i got the highlights she lied about what volume peroxide she was using. Because, if I had hard water or not, prior to this I too had no issues.

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Sparkles122 View Post
    With hair as long and beautiful as yours that is good to know that hard water has no effect. Im basically tryjng to distract myself from the sheer fact that i think when i got the highlights she lied about what volume peroxide she was using. Because, if I had hard water or not, prior to this I too had no issues.
    That is tough! This has nothing to do with the hardness of the water, but does your hair feel mushy or brittle. It is important to determine that you might or might not need protein in your deep treatments. Brittle? You need moisture. Mushy? You need some protein. If it feels OK, then just a plain old whatever good nurturing conditioner or deep treatment will do.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    28"/30"/38"
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

I think you've already come to the conclusion that it was likely the chemical processing that did this to your hair, but generally, I wouldn't recommend a sudden change in water if you've been used to hard water your whole life. I went abroad where the water was really quite different to what I'm used to and it affected my scalp terribly, which in turn made my hair unhappy. If it's just your lengths that are suffering then I don't think you have any major issues. Hope things get better for you!

Length
    22/44/50
    Type
    2a/F/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by lushfanatic View Post
    I think you've already come to the conclusion that it was likely the chemical processing that did this to your hair, but generally, I wouldn't recommend a sudden change in water if you've been used to hard water your whole life. I went abroad where the water was really quite different to what I'm used to and it affected my scalp terribly, which in turn made my hair unhappy. If it's just your lengths that are suffering then I don't think you have any major issues. Hope things get better for you!
    I was trying to find other excuses besides the chemical processing because it was a good friend who did it. But sadly that is the conclusion. The other strange thing is that my legnth/ends are fine. The only damaged parts are near my crown, on the left and right side of my head. Above this area is also fine. So idk what happened

Hard water is definitely hard on my very long, fine hair. It produces tangles and makes it hard to manage. I live in Florida where the water is very hard and use a Water Stick to produce soft water. When I am in Seattle, my hair is very tangle-free.

Perhaps, very fine hair has a tougher time with hard water. I can only speak from my own experience.

https://watersticks.com
    Last edited by harpgal; December 1st, 2018 at 09:35 AM.