Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nape hair tangling

Indiana but I travel all over the country for work
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Default nape hair tangling

What is up with my hair?!!

I wear it up or braided almost all the time.

All of a sudden for no apparent reason the hair at the nape of my neck is tying itself into hideous knots.
    I haven't changed shampoos or conditioners.

this morning in an attempt to reduce the knotting/tangling
    I used some cone conditioner as a "leave in" conditioner.
    I haven't taken my hair down yet but just had to detangle
    some nape hair so it certainly didn't correct the problem.

If I was home I'd try some oil on it but I'm not home and
    won't be for a while.

I remember this happening once before... and it resolved
    on it's own without any idea on my part as to why it started or stopped.

Any ideas as to what's going on or what I can do to
    stop it??

Susan

Length
    S-L/APL/BSL
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

Default Re: nape hair tangling

I sympathize. I too get little knots, sometime in individual hairs! at the nape of my neck, and the whole area is just much more prone to breakage. I use coconutoil once a week at a deep treatment - I don´t know if it actually works.

I would love some suggestions

I only look confused. Arctic_Mama's Avatar
    Length
    Shldr/Waist/Knee
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

Oh geez, I FEEL for you, I really, really do. I have tons of fine, wavy hair and it spends its days amusing itself by playing blindfolded, drunken twister underneath the canopy. HIDEOUS snarls, and I get them even with it braided and confined.

The only solution I've found? Oil the ever-loving daylights out of it. I take a good fingernail of coconut oil just to that area almost daily, in addition to heavy oilings before washing and regular oiling over the rest of the length as needed. Weather can set it off - this is a damp, windy time of the year for the Northern hemisphere - perhaps the humidity is setting off your hair's desire to break from the pack sand have it's own frizzy standout? When you have hair insisting on individuality, as I like to call it, they like to snag one another and just generally be a pain.

Moisturize it before braiding and just be gentle with it - with any luck it will pass. If not, and you're stuck like me, you just mutter and curse under your breath while finger detangling, then wide comb detangling, and progressing to fine comb detangling before confining it again. I find even my hair behaves fairly well when I keep static, agitation, and the effects of humidity to a minimum. Also, getting the base of those braids as snug as possible is crucial to keeping the 'poof' under control. Braid it down your back as long as possible and when you HAVE to pull it over your shoulder don't put ANY pressure on the braid, let it literally just droop over your shoulder so the part coming off your neck is still vertical. That should minimize escapees.

Good luck!
    The hair is the richest ornament of women. - Martin Luther
    Goal: Virgin knee length

Length
    chin/bcl/?
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii/iii

I've found that the hair at my nape will tangle and knot more in winter if I'm walking around a lot wearing a coat with a collar or scarves that rub there. Another thing which gave me bad tangles was wearing a necklace with a fine chain, which my hair seems to love to intertwine with.

"Our life is frittered away by detail...simplify, simplify." ~Thoreau

Length
    26.5/30/36.5
    Type
    1b/F/ii

When I get extra tangles there, usually from wearing my scrunchy or curled it knots together: I spray in a leave in conditioner then brush it out with a bbb. Then when I'm washing it I CWC as always, but I might need more condtioner and if it's pretty bad I use a comb. My sister and her daughter both have a tangley spot at the back of there head and think it's just the way their hair grows there...

Length
    16.5/tb-38/?
    Type
    1c/M/ii/iii

Maybe this sounds obvious, but could there be something at the nape of your neck which is causing or exacerbating tangles there? Like a necklace, shirt tag, collars, etc? I get hair tangled in necklaces and such on occasion.

Indiana but I travel all over the country for work
    Type
    1c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Yoga View Post
    Maybe this sounds obvious, but could there be something at the nape of your neck which is causing or exacerbating tangles there? Like a necklace, shirt tag, collars, etc? I get hair tangled in necklaces and such on occasion.
    I thought of that but there wasn't anything obvious.
    The first two days I thought it was because I took
    long (11+hour drives) and it was from rubbing against
    the drivers seat/head pillow... but after that I've been
    working or had time off and it hasn't been any better.

the only real change is the climate... it's extremely dry.
    but it was just as dry here the week before this started happening. Maybe it's cumulative. It's so dry I literally
    wake up in the middle of the night with my skin so dry it's almost painful. I've been using a slow cooker to put some humidity in the air and that is helping somewhat.

I have a small amt of emu oil with me and will start using
    that. Hopefully, this will pass soon!

It sure makes me empathetic for those who have naturally
    tangling/knotting hair.

Susan

Length
    19"/31"/hip
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I have a spot that tangles like no other if I leave it down. I was able to solve the problem by keeping it braided most of the time. But your hair is tangling even though it is up/braided? I don't have any suggestions that haven't been mentioned except detangling as soon as you notice. I used to wear my hair down for a few days without detangling the knots that appeared at the name of my neck. It just gets worse and worse. (This may seem common sense, but I seriously used to leave it and hope for the best. )
    Lady Enyo of the Brave Victory in the Order of the Longhaired Knights

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
    Oh geez, I FEEL for you, I really, really do. I have tons of fine, wavy hair and it spends its days amusing itself by playing blindfolded, drunken twister underneath the canopy. HIDEOUS snarls, and I get them even with it braided and confined.
    !
    Hey - I think my hair plays the same game. I hadn't figured it out. Now that's funny!

Oil makes things worse for me because then all the dust and fabric fibers and bird duff are sucked into my hair from three rooms away, where it instantly Velcros itself to my hair, then my hair Velcros together, and I'm wondering what was wrong with that pixie I used to have.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

this happens to me too. My nape hairs are coarser and wavier than the rest of my hair and poof out and seem to tangle very easily. One of the main reasons why I tend to dislike updos...

Are you wearing a necklace, chain, or knotted leather thong regularly? Check it and see if it's collecting hair. For me, this was the #1 no-no for my nape hairs.

A leave-in might work best for adding extra moisture and smoothing those hairs. I would suggest a non-silicone one - I like Goth Rosary for its light, yet slippery quality. Extra misting of those parts, oiling if it works for you, might all also help.

It is really frustrating when parts of your hair don't behave! But careful attention to what exacerbates the problem can help.

good luck!

katze
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii