Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emotional Stages of Having Curly Hair

Type
    3a/3b/M/ii

Default Emotional Stages of Having Curly Hair

My friend recently sent me this along with, "this sounds like you except off a couple years."

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/sex-love...=1440_50622218

I clicked on it, not actually ready for what I found. It's hilarious! And so true! Anyone else who can relate??

Length
    .5/??/term
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: Emotional Stages of Having Curly Hair

That's pretty funny. I always felt bad about having straight hair. I spent too many hours curling it growing up. My mom got her hair permed and really made me feel that curly hair was the only hair that looked good. I was finishing middle school when I finally gave up on having curly hair. It was liberating. I didn't know hating curly hair was a thing untill girls started asking if I straightened mine.

Type
    2a/F/i

HA! I couldn't relate but my curly haired roommate was rolling around on the floor laughing I was the opposite. I used to blow dry my hair upside sown for volume and then if I had time, I curled it. Every morning. Now if I want body, I just braid it before bed. I get more sleep this way too lol

BSL: Made it!Off to Waist!

Length
    21.5/23.5/34
    Type
    3b/M/ii

I love that! I think I went through those stages about 5 years ahead of the ages listed, but everything was so true. Especially the part about extra hold gel, ha!

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Well, I'm "only" a wavy, but I certainly went through phases like that. My hair started to change texture (from 1b/c to 2a-2b/c) when I went through puberty. I only got the hang of it in my late thirties, with Lorraine Massey's book and all the information that's online.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    ??/Waist/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I'm a wavy but I feel identified with this article as well. I used to straighten my hair A LOT

Back to waist!
    Lady Faylinn of the Guarded Groves
    in the Order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

Hilarious. It took me FIFTY years to get to the last stage.
    And people never thought I was Jewish or Italian. they assumed that the frizzy part way 'fro (I did try to have a real afro once and had to curl on 85 pieces of paper every because the middle wouldn't go straight up in the air for anything) anyway, they assumed the frizzy part way 'fro was how my hair is because I'm black--not that I shouldn't have been anywhere within miles of sulphate shampoo and especially not a hairbrush.
    But the Puerto Rican girls were always whispering advice to me about 'doobying'--would have listened but honestly had no idea what they meant.

I went through stages 5 and up because my hair was straight up until puberty. I'm not at the last stage yet though, is that even possible?

I remember when I first discovered the flat iron, I was soooo happy to finally get rid of the puffy frizz, my confidence went up and I started partying lol.
    Last edited by Weewah; March 27th, 2014 at 08:04 PM.

Length
    14"/BSL/30"
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by BrendaLoan View Post
    I'm a wavy but I feel identified with this article as well. I used to straighten my hair A LOT
    Same here.

As a kid it was fairly straight and my grandmother (a fine/straight-haired-hot-tools-and-perm-addict) would always say something about curls/body looking better. As a result, I had a perm done at age 4 (without anyone's permission) and after that was always sat down in the bathroom so that she could curl and Aqua Net my hair anytime I visited.
    During puberty, my hair started moving towards my mother's more curly texture at the same time flat ironed hair was the "thing". I couldn't go to school or leave the house without it being done. Around that time I also started coloring it into oblivion.

And now here I am, rejoicing in my waves and discovering my natural color. It's amazing the impact everyone else can have on our perceptions of ourselves.
    Jaw - Chin - SL - CBL - APL - BSL - MBL - Waist
    2b M ii
    Forever Trimming by the Moon.

warm weather enthusiast mrs_coffee's Avatar
    Length
    PIXIE/APL/WAIST
    Type
    2c/M/C/ii

Funny! I just started to embrace my hair texture within the last couple of years. And I actually AM Jewish.
    pixie to waist 10/13...chopped to chin 01/14...reached waist 09/17...chopped to APL 04/18...