Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what about cigarettes and hair?

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

Default what about cigarettes and hair?

Do you think they influence their growth? health? I did remind asking because of the caffeine and this is something i wanted to ask. Does anyone know? I know that if does bad for your health it will also do for your hair but besides that general factor is there anything more severe?
    .~~~. :*: Bárbara :*: .~~~.

Length
    shldr/waist/???
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Re: what about cigarrets and hair?

I doubt in most cases that cigarettes will slow growth noticeably enough that you'd see a vast improvement if you quit. Nonetheless, you should probably quit anyway (says the chainsmoking aku). The biggest problem I've had with cigarettes is wisps of short baby hairs getting into my lighter flame.
    Lady Nemetona of the Blessed Circle in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    The orange cat in my avatar

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

this is a love/hate problem of mine... I know i should quit, havent done the mental thing so thats not for tomorrow...eheh but anyway, hair is important to me, of course i wouldnt quit ONLY because of hair but it is intersting to know.
    One of the things that i notice is that it makes your hair smell terribly and it gets durty quicker!!
    .~~~. :*: Bárbara :*: .~~~.

Length
    -/Shldr/-
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/iii

I'm sure smoking does adversely affect hair growth as it isn't good for the microcirculation/tissue oxygenation. It certainly has a bad effect on skin and wound healing time.

© GRD, 3 March 2007

Type
    1c/M/ii

If nothing else, since quitting twenty-plus years ago, my hair smells infinitely better than it did when full of grimy nicotine smoke sludge!

But you have got to be there mentally to quit and every smoker knows the score. Addictions are tough, tough, tough....
    The Blog: Skipping Barefoot Down the Rocky Road of Life

Length
    26-31/Chin/Waist
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Logically, it would. Scalp massages increase growth for some people, because of increase blood flow and oxygen. So if cigarettes decrease oxygen flow, then logically it would follow that they decrease growth.

But then there's the normal disclaimer - it's different for everyone. Some people's hair may be affected more by it than others. But I say, you don't know unless you try, and there seems to be enough reasons that it might grow faster, so I think hair is as good a reason as any to quit smoking.
    (Student) trapeze artist, acrobat, contortionist and more. Check out me and my partner here!

Type
    2c/M/ii

I googled after getting a response about caffeine & hair, and found this: http://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip600.htm
    Very interesting...

Finding Best Hair Length! LadyLongLocks's Avatar
    Length
    36"/70"/Long!
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

Default Re: what about cigarettes and hair?

Cigarettes don't do anything good IMO. It also makes the hair smell bad and needs washing more which could be bad for the hair. Thank goodness I live in a state where smoking is now banned in public places. My hair absorbs the smoke like crazy if I am around it and I must wash it asap, which is bad

Length
    25/38.4/50
    Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I think they cause the blood vessels to tighten, so the blood circulation in your scalp wouldn't be as good as if you quit smoking. For a good circulation is necessary to bring minerals and other stuff to the roots, it could be that smoking slows your growth.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I think it does. I used to be a non smoker and in the years before i started my hair grew like a weed and was nicely thick to the point that i was known for both of these things.
    After starting, well....i didn't notice anything immediately, but over time my growth rate slowed right down to a fraction of what it used to be....i'm talking about an inch per month down to 1/4 inch per month.
    As has been pointed out, smoking effects the circulation and healing time, it also robs the body of nutrients....and we know how bad both those things when decreased can be for hair growth.
    I do smoke still, unfortunately, but don't intend to carry on much longer....it's vile, makes me feel unclean on the inside and if you look at alot of older smokers you can see the effect on their skin, especially that look many get where their mouths start to look like an anus, the colour just doesn't look good and it develops a slackness.....if it does this to the skin, that really can't be good for hair growth, anagen phase length, quality of hair produced....and the smell....well you don't need a scientific study to know how rank that can be.
    Sorry for the rant, i actually really hate smoking and hate that i was ever so ridiculously stupid that i got addicted to the toxic stuff.
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.