Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the minimum hair length for hair sticks?

Default What is the minimum hair length for hair sticks?

Although I am not nearly close to a length to wear any hair toy at all (I am glad I can put most of my hair in a mini ponytail), I am curious at what length it is possible to use hair sticks. Are there different sizes in hair sticks? I so want to put my hair up without elastics but I think with my still super short hair I have no other possibilities. So I am just curious. Apologies for my bad English.

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Re: What is the minimum hair length for hair sticks?

Depending on your thickness, a little past shoulder can be enough. Shorter, if you do half-ups or double buns. I like this video of an LHCer for a number of reasons, one being that it shows hairstick use and technique on fairly short hair.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

I'd rather be outside browneyedsusan's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/TBL/???
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Depends on the thickness. I have layers, so was able to get it up in a frenchtwist a little past shoulder. You might be able to do a disc bun around the same time. Tutorials-- Frenchtwist (from a hairstick company, but the tute is good) Disc bun --I wrapped one loop around my index finger, and the other loop around my thumb.

henna keeps it
    red, and red makes me happy.
    Pixied for 15+ years and liked it.
    Growing for fun.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Yes, as previous posters have said. It depends on thickness. I'm iii and could only begin to use hairsticks and forks for good when I was around waist, well waist to hip for it to be comfy *and* secure.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i

I could have used hairsticks at shoulder or APL but didn't really start using them until recently (waist length). I used to wear my hair down or in a ponytail all time and I never even thought of using hairsticks until I came here.
    Fairy tale hair.

Length
    waist/waist/?
    Type
    1b/F/ii

It definitely depends on how thick your hair is. I couldn't use sticks until I was at around BSL to MBL. I am on the thicker side of ii though.

Thank you for your responses. Does this mean that one can use hairsticks earlier if the hair is thicker or if it is thinner? My hair is rather thin and straight I think. I wish I could use something besides elastics to keep my hair up.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
    Thank you for your responses. Does this mean that one can use hairsticks earlier if the hair is thicker or if it is thinner? My hair is rather thin and straight I think. I wish I could use something besides elastics to keep my hair up.
    You're being pretty vague about it. Exactly how long is your hair?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Quote Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
    You can use hairsticks earlier with thinner hair. It's easy to experiment with something you might have available, like a knitting needle, a smooth chopstick, or even a pencil. Then you'll have a good idea whether a hairstick would work for you before spending any money.

Even at pony-stub length, there could be some options other than elastics, for instance a flexi-8 or perhaps one of the Goody "ouchless" barrettes.

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

using a hair stick with shorter hair:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JhXxMY5CGY
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb-CD...BrVwEgIfpliFGQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boGbl...BrVwEgIfpliFGQ
    The woman in the video does not have thin hair.
    I have about a 5 inch circumference and have been able to use hairsticks since it was a little below shoulder. I did have a lot of taper though (it's improving now). I was also used to manipulating my hair, which makes a difference--and my hair is not slippery at all. I'm a curly and it stays up easily. Anyway, YMMV is all I am trying to say.
    Also--with shorter hair you NEED thinner sticks, because when its shorter than a certain length, you have to wrap tightly. I could not use sticks like ed's or tt's until quite recently, because my hair was wrapped so tight, I needed a thin stick to get in there at all.