Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st time henna!! Help needed! And VERY much appreciated!

Red face 1st time henna!! Help needed! And VERY much appreciated!

I'm planning on hennaing soon for the first time ever. I'm uber excited! But I have a few questions that hopefully some of you aficionados can help me with.

First, my hair: I've been dying my hair for years using Loreal Preference color from Sally's and mixing it at home. It starts out a dark reddish brown and fades into a lighter reddish brown similar to auburn. Then, a few months ago, I also got some ombre highlights through this groupon I had. So the majority of the length is a blondish-reddish color.

So I have about 2 inches of natural growth (light to medium brown mixed with grays) at the roots. Then several inches of the faded auburn. And 15 inches or so of the blondish-reddish.

I can also tell you that my hair picks up the red in any dye really easily. A stylist friend once told me that it's because red hair runs in my family. So even though my natural hair isn't red, there are hints of red in the right light.

So my first question is about buying the right powder for the right color. I don't want bright red. I'd like the top to be dark auburn. And then I'm guessing the part that was highlighted previously will probably have some more copper, brighter red tones to it, maybe even hints of orange, which is fine with me. But I don't want vibrant ultra-red hair as the primary color. It's a beautiful color, just not on me.

I read through Nightshade's article. It seems like I should get a mixture of 2/3 henna, 1/3 indigo. But I'm not sure. Will this give me more red than I want? I also saw one mixture that seemed 40% henna, 60% indigo would be the right mix.

Do you think my ombre'd section of hair will likely turn out the way I think it will, what I described? (I'm not as concerned about the highlights, but figure I might as well ask while I'm here.)

What color is the Burgundy I've seen mentioned by people? Does anyone have a photo? Is it similar to dark auburn?

I've also read through some of the threads and people's comments. If I buy henna and indigo, does that mean I have to apply them separately? Or can I mix them together and put it all on my head in one go?

Is there much of a difference in their henna: Henna Sooq or Henna For Hair? Or is there a better store than either of those?

I've read mixed reports about the henna from Lush. Does anyone know if it's truly BAQ quality? The salesperson at the local store told me it was, but she wasn't too sure and didn't really seem to be that knowledgeable about the henna in general.

Are there usually some instructions or guidelines that comes with the henna when I order it?

I know that's a lot of questions. Any help at all is much appreciated!

Length
    neck/mbl/Tbl
    Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

Default Re: 1st time henna!! Help needed! And VERY much appreciated!

If you use pure henna you will more than likely get a brighter red/orange like you don't want. I would get henna with a little indigo. You can try henna maiden or henna guy's burghandy or wine red. These are henna mixed with other plants, still really great for your hair and all natural but will give you more of a darker re dor burghandy.

"The dreams of childhood- its airy fables,its graceful, beautiful, humane, impossible adornments of the world beyond; so good to be believed in once, so good to be remembered when outgrown..." - Charles Dickens
    el~nl~sl~cbl~apl~bsl~mbl~wl~hl

Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I've never used henna and indigo only straight henna. It turned my blonde hair bright coppery orange. I buy from Henna Sooq from my experience it's cheaper than Henna For Hair, but both sell BAQ henna.

Type
    2c/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by bean dhiaga View Post
    Is there much of a difference in their henna: Henna Sooq or Henna For Hair? Or is there a better store than either of those?

I've read mixed reports about the henna from Lush. Does anyone know if it's truly BAQ quality? The salesperson at the local store told me it was, but she wasn't too sure and didn't really seem to be that knowledgeable about the henna in general
    Hi bean dhiaga- I think there are some threads on this site regarding henna/ indigo, but you could also get some good info on mixes and how they might turn out on you on the www.hennaforhair.com website (it's always recommended to strand test once you decide, of course). As far as Lush, that is definitely *not* BAQ henna, they mix in all sorts of other ingredients into it and it's hard to really know what you are really getting. I heard people say it's very messy to work with. For example, the indredients if the caca noir are this:

Indigo Henna (Indigofera Tintctoria) , Fair Trade Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao) , Red Henna (Lawsonia inermis) , Irish Moss Powder (Chondrus crispus) , Clove Bud Oil (Eugenia caryophyllus) , *Citral , *Eugenol , *Geraniol , *Citronellol , *Limonene , *Linalool , Perfume

BAQ quality henna should just be henna, which is what you would want to use if you are doing it over dyed hair. Messing around with compound henna over dyed hair is not a good idea. I have not tried Sooq, but have been ordering from hennaforhair for years and personally recommend them. Good luck!

Length
    0"/Pixie/???
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

I've used Lush over dyed hair many, many times. The quality has actually declined over the years, to the point where it's now essentially a very messy, smelly block of grass that does absolutely nothing for colour.
    Bald Guru Tries Again 2k15 (journal)
    Shaved
    | Pixie | Ear | Jaw | Chin | Collar | Shoulder | APL

Length
    Shldr/BSL/Hip
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

My hair sounds similar to yours - most of the length has been chemically dyed and highlighted for too many years to count. But the roots are medium brown with a few grays. I've used both henna for hair and henna sooq's red raj. I think their quality is similar, I may like henna sooq a little more and it's cheaper - but they both are great. More importantly - my roots are definitely not vibrant red, it's a pretty dark color with some red tones to it, maybe like dark auburn or burgundy. The highlighted and colored lengths are a much brighter red. Hope this helps!

Edited to correct spelling
    Last edited by Angelair; March 7th, 2014 at 01:45 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Can I call it BSL?
    SL -APL - BSL - Waist - Hip (my goals are getting longer too, thanks LHC!)

I use pure red henna over strawberry blond hair that is way too grey now. I used indigo just once and regretted it as it was too dark for me. Orangey tones are best with my colors. I buy henna amazingly cheap in Indian or middle eastern grocery stores. Never ever had a problem and I get a fabulous red color

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

I'd stay away from the indigo, as you have (ombre) bleach in your hair. It will turn green/blue right there.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Hi bean !
    I'm sure the lawsonia inermis inside Lush henna blocks isn't BAQ; I don't know how well it will stick to your sparklies, being so buttery and diluited .
    My personal tip for achieving a darker, not too bright colour is mixing henna with something slightly acidic, like black tea, or adding some spoonfuls of lemon juice and/or vinegar. In my experience this makes the red more golden-browner than just pure water.

I'm a medium brunette and pure henna (BAQ with lower lawsone content) turns auburn on me, whilst BAQ with high lawsone content gives it a really strong burgundy shade (like in my avatar!); I switched to henna after having dyed my hair a light caramel brown, so I used to mix some indigo with my henna to cover the difference (if you are interested, my henna album has some pics and the description of my mixes).
    I've never had problems with indigo, but I really recommend you to do a strand test before hennaing/henndigoing!
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Thanks for all of the feedback! I've been away and haven't had a chance to check back til now. I'm planning on doing the henna and then indigo this week. With a strand test first of course. Thanks again! Here's to auburn and not blue hair! P