Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legally, is there anything that can be done...

Length
    ??/54/54

Default Legally, is there anything that can be done...

...about hairdressers that do their own thing regardless of the customers' instructions? Here's a scenario: A very long haired woman goes to a salon and asks for one inch to be trimmed off the very ends of her hair. She is very insistent that they cut off no more, no matter if they think her ends are thin, damaged and could use a much bigger trim. Let's say she brought a witness or recorded this conversation with the hairdresser's assent that she would only take off one inch. Nonetheless, one big chop and thirty inches of hair end up on the ground. Could the customer sue for emotional distress? A longhair's identity is often so closely tied in with their hair that this could be nothing short of traumatic, but could legal action be taken?

Edit: Yes, this is a fictional scenario. I haven't had anything of the kind happen to me. My mother has been my only hairdresser, and I do dread the day she wouldn't be able to cut my hair anymore, whether because she has arthritis, has died, etc. Maybe one of my sisters could do it?
    Last edited by Solange; September 12th, 2008 at 06:34 AM.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    shldr/shldr/shldr

Default Re: Legally, is there anything that can be done...

One inch and thirty inches is a HUGE difference. No one could call that a simple mistake. Different states might have different laws, so you might want to check with a lawyer.

Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I really dont know to answer that but i think it is something to consider or at least see if its possible... those people are giving such a pain without having it in consideration.
    .~~~. :*: Bárbara :*: .~~~.

Type
    1a/1b/M/C/iii

Here in Germany this kind of behaviour is stated by law as "bodily harm". You can even get compensation for pain and suffering, but of course, you need to press charges agains t the hair dresser.

I bet in the US there is a similiar way of handling this.
    At true tailbone!

Length
    16"/36"/50"+
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

All I can say is, OMG, I hope that this is only a scenario.
    30"!!!!!!!!!!! that is nearly all the hair that I have on my head
    If you can't stand the heat, don't tickle the dragon

Length
    bob/bob/WST
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/iii

You can sue for anything you want to. Winning is a different matter. But yes I think if you had a witness you would have a good chance of winning with a good lawyer.

Combing only when wet with CO, Suave conditioner, AG Re:Coil, LA Looks sports gel, EVOO and coconut oil

I wonder if it would be considered breach (breech???) of a verbal contract?

Length
    SL/BSL/TB
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I think you could win. It *Is* a breech of contract and if you have a witness to the contract it makes your stance all the more valid.

I wouldn't try for money though, I would fight with everything to get her liscense (or whatever its called) revoked. It would make other beauticians think twice before just snipping away.

I liked my old hairdresser, she would snip a tiny bit, then ask if thats where I wanted it, then snip a bit more. Our sessions could take almost 2 hours, but she had long, thick, gorgeous hair and I imagine she would have been devastated to have all of hers chopped off. Ofcourse she's always full now so I had to go to someone else

The first person I went to after her told me my hair was sooo damaged and wanted to chop it to about 3 inches. I argued with her for about 10 minutes. I finally just said "Its my hair and I want it cut the way *I* want it cut, if you can't do that I need someone who can."

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I suspect that in your scenario, you could sue and win. However, that wouldn't bring the hair back.

The more I read here, the more I think that anyone who goes to a salon for a trim should bring a person to document everything on video. I'm not kidding.

Length
    ??/54/54

Quote Originally Posted by ssjhotau2 View Post
    The first person I went to after her told me my hair was sooo damaged and wanted to chop it to about 3 inches. I argued with her for about 10 minutes. I finally just said "Its my hair and I want it cut the way *I* want it cut, if you can't do that I need someone who can."

If I had to argue with a hairdresser at *all*, I wouldn't trust her to trim my hair even if she did eventually agree to do as I say, which is why I think I'd end up walking out of salons several times before actually getting my trim. Almost all comments I get about my hair are positive. A woman came to my workplace once, told me she was a hairdresser and started telling me what she would like to do with my hair, inserting several criticisms in the process. She is specifically the type I'd want to avoid: more interested in what she wants to do with my hair than in what I want done, and acting like she's the ultimate authority on the suject. She suggested a protein treatment to make it shiny (implying it wasn't). Hmmm...I do, in fact, get many compliments on my hair's health and shine. That the ends weren't all even (well, that does tend to happen with knee-length hair...). No mention of course of the near absence of split ends. Then she spoke of layers, and changed her mind because "my hair doesn't look thick enough for them". Thaaaanks! And that would be three insults from a complete stranger.