Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flat hair when skipping a wash

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Default flat hair when skipping a wash

Since I work alone and only see people for 15 minutes during shift change, I decided to try something new and not wash hair for work today. I am usually a daily washer.

So, I went to work with second day hair and its not bad honestly. It is not greasy at all, even though I do have a light oiling in my hair (oil mixed with leave in conditioner and water) so I know I could easily skip a wash day if i wanted to BUT.. My question is, how do you get volume in hair when not washing? Hair seems flat had no volume at all. The roots and the general appearance is flat. Is that normal or is this because of my hair type being fine? OR is it due to the leave in perhaps? When you skip washes do you make sure not to put any leave in on the hair for the first day? It has proper volume first day if that helps.

I always read that second hair hair was supposed to be the best hair but that is not the case. It is hard to explain but maybe lank or limp describes it?
    Any suggestions or is this simply how it is for some people?

I tried baby powder on roots even though they weren't greasy at all hoping for fluff but it kind of gave me a flyaway look .

I am considering skipping washing 2 of the 4 days I work each week to give my hair a break by washing every other shift, but I am hoping it can look good worn down when doing so just in case a visitor stops by. I wear it up at work once the shift handing off leaves, but want to be able to take it down if necessary.

My final question. does anyone experience any negatives to skipping washes? Is it possible for hair to get dryer instead of healthier? I am trying this just to avoid any extra mechanical damage and to just give hair a break but want to make sure there is no downside to this.
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Length
    CL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Re: flat hair when skipping a wash

If you like the look of your freshly washed hair best, then nothing's going to change that. Second day hair is not the same as freshly washed, period. There are things you may want to try: dry shampoo, massaging the roots, pineapple bun for the night, etc, but the bottom line is - it'll still have different look and properties.

A big part of stretching washes is adjusting your mentality and expectations.

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Really? I was hoping I was just missing something that i could change because stylists always swear 2nd day hair is the best to style.
    I am going to try it without the leave in and see what happens maybe. It seems wasteful to wash it and style it just to go to work just for the few minutes I see others. I am going to live with it and give it a break and hopefully it adapts.

Perhaps the pineapple will give it some root lift so that's a good idea to try actually.
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Length
    APL/BSL/?
    Type
    1a/1b/M/iii

Use a dry shampoo, apparently they absorb the oils in your hair and they also add volume, getting rid of that flat hair problem.

Length
    CL/MBL/WL
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by ErinLeigh View Post
    Really? I was hoping I was just missing something that i could change because stylists always swear 2nd day hair is the best to style.
    For fancy updos, yes. It holds better. What you want is root lift and volume for loose hair. That is best archived with freshly washed hair.

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Flor View Post
    For fancy updos, yes. It holds better. What you want is root lift and volume for loose hair. That is best archived with freshly washed hair.
    Thanks for the advice Flor.
    Apparantly my hair decides to look good third day! Ha
    wekk it would if it were not for my 2 bride of Frankenstein frizzy spiral curls that grow from my temples. If I could smooth those down I would go another day actually.

Well this was an interesting experiment but I am going to take it slow. I have already done my pre wash oiling so won't be seeing how far this one stretches.
    Still zero oil produced day 3 so I am guessing I have a drier scalp?
    Last edited by ErinLeigh; January 18th, 2014 at 06:18 AM.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

This is a problem for me, too. My roots usually go from fluffy/full of volume (but frizzy) to docile but flat in a day and half. Washing method helps, and so stretching washes, but in the end you have to make some compromises.
    Though, sleeping with a top knot bun helped me!
    Pixie!- Shingle - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder...

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Shampoos with anionic surfactants change he electrical charge on hair creating volume/ pouf/ frizz. Some like this artificial effect others do not. Try dry shampoo and scaling back the oilings - not everyone needs them.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    26/29/32
    Type
    2a/F/ii

It could just be your hair type. Mine also is flat second day even if it isn't greasy. Its just limp. And I don't usually use conditioner or leave ins. It's ok for braids and updos though

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I'm the same, which is why I have a hard time resisting washing daily. Volumizing powder works really well, though! A tiny but goes a long way.