Thread: Keratin Hair Treatment

Length
    12 in/28 in/50 in
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Default Keratin Hair Treatment

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the Keratin hair treatment was safe for hair? I really want to get it done because my hair is so frizzy but want to make sure it won't like make my hair fall out or anything.

Thanks,

Christine
    2a/b-F-ii-Waist Almost at TBL!!!

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

Default Re: Keratin Hair Treatment

Is that the same as a Brazillian blow out type thing? If so, ask ErinLeigh, she has experienced the good and the bad side of these So she knows all about them!

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Lol talk to ErinLeigh, she'll tell you all about how safe they are. In reality, they're awful. They mask damage and you take a certain risk doing them.
    Growing to knee! At HIP currently

They need to use a 450 degree flat iron in small sections of your entire head to seal the treatment in, so that in itself is pretty damaging. There's formaldehyde in it too which is a big thing people don't like about it. If your hair is resilient and you get it done well, it'll save you styling time which is good, but it's definitely not damage-free and you might find yourself caught in a cycle of needing straightening treatments as your hair gets more and more damaged. :\

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

oh no I'm the LHC poster child for them. lol
    http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...d.php?t=118537

this will explain my experiences with them.
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

oh i forgot to mention, yes some people get a ton of shedding and hair loss using them, some don't. Its a mixed bag. I shed a ton when I did mine and I usually have light less than average shedding. My hair started getting thinner and thinner after a few.
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

It's not a 'treatment' in the sense if being beneficial to hair like a penetrating oiling or DIY hydrolysed protein treatment - that is cunning marketing. The very high temperatures used are harmful to hair. Think of it like a weaker version of a chemical relaxer/ a chemical service.

For frizzy hair look at the Curly Girl method. Frizz is just hairs that are not lying neaty together: that is down to things like brushing/ combing, not enough conditioning (may need a leave in conditioner), weather conditions (inc. compatibility with products), bad damage causing hairs to repel one another, or some combination. You would be welcome to join the active Wavy Hair Community on Facebook.
    Last edited by Firefox7275; January 15th, 2014 at 07:44 AM.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.