Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting a Perm and Don't Know How It'll Turn Out?

Length
    30/30/50
    Type
    1a/F/i

Cool Getting a Perm and Don't Know How It'll Turn Out?

I've wanted a perm for a while now, but I was wondering could I get one that would look like this picture?

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Default Re: Getting a Perm and Don't Know How It'll Turn Out?

I've always wanted one too unfortunately the only thing I've heard is that it can even be more damaging than the bleach I've done in the past
    If you go through with it I'd love to see the results on your hair!! The volume will be a wonderful change... as will be caring for the curls of course
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL

Length
    SL/TBL/Class
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

That looks to be a spiral perm. I have had that done to my hair when it was waist length. The first time I got the perm, my hair looked awesome and was in fairly good condition. The second time my hair was permed, I had to cut a lot of length off because it got so damaged.

There isn't a way to avoid perming the entire length of the hair as your hair grows. The stylist cannot simply perm just your roots.
    May 2017
    Lady Rhoslynn Of Two Wheeled Thunder~Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    2a/2b/M/ii/iii

I was a hairdresser for a long time. I estimate I have done about 2000 perms. Very very rarely do they turn out like the above picture. If they do it will be for about two weeks and then the curl will drop. (loosen) What is your current hair type, and does it have any chemical treatments in it?

edit: I just read your hair type, and fine hair is breakage prone. If you truly have a goal of 50 inches then a perm won't get you there. But if you really want the appearance of thicker, curlier hair then it is up to you to weigh the pros and cons. The longer the hair the less time it will hold on to the curl.
    Last edited by renarok; January 14th, 2014 at 05:06 PM.
    "If you’re bothered by every rub, how will you ever be polished?”- Rumi

Length
    Pixie/Pixie/TBL
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

They sell spiral rollers that will give those kinds of curls. They are made of soft foam so you can sleep on them you might be able to get that result with those instead of risking damage. It's temporary, but might be worth it.

I agree with the other posters...perms never come out looking like that. I had the all throughout my teen years thanks to my mom who did it at home and I can vouch for the fact that your hair ends up a frizzy, damaged mess! I would advise highly against it. People with short hair that get their hair cut every time they go for the perm might be able to get away with it but for long hair....disaster waiting to happen!

Length
    34/Long/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

I can get curls like that using rag curlers. It takes a little practice, and attention to the ends to avoid frizz.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

As far as I can tell naturally wavy hair takes a curl better than dead straight hair which often seems to drop out to just wavy, especially if very long or heavy.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Yeah, I got spirals perms back in the '80s on waist length hair. They looked great for about a week and then the curl was pretty much gone.
    What you find irresistable is what you choose not to resist.

Length
    SHLDR/TBL+/CLSC?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Another vote for curlers, flexi rods can easily give you that spiral look I had my hair permed at 16 and it was snapping off after a month. It dropped out quickly too and left me with a lot of snarly frizz.
    No trims in 2014! 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12!
    Hip (34")
    --> BCL (36") --> TBL (~38") --> Dreaming of Classic (42") --> Mid thigh?! (~46"?)

Length
    Chin/Class/Class
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

The "curls" appear more wavy than actually curly, and in that sense a perm might disappoint. If you are willing to go curly girl with your routine (no brushing when dry, etc.) then I say go for it.

My hair is F as well, though I have iii hair. I got a perm at shoulder length or thereabouts, and grew to hip with the perm in. My hair was damaged though (lots of white dots) and it takes patience and dedication to have that on your head and have it taken care of. It eventually all had to be cut out, so I lost a lot of length.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)