Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HALO wearing with long hair

made of sugar and cyanide MandyBeth's Avatar
    Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Default HALO wearing with long hair

As people may know, DH and I are adopting again. The young man has leg amputations which is how we met. And, thus he came into our home, bringing his sister with him.

Our beloved big girl has a few spinal issues, has had three surgeries already (shunt put in in native country, the whammy trio of Chiari decompression, freeing her spinal cord, shunt change in US by a very wonderful team, and another shunt change back to the prior as it's more comfortable to her), but she'll need at least two more - scoliosis is 80% likely, but we're going to try to avoid surgery. Fusion however is needed now.

She's in an Aspen cervical collar, the shunt #3 caught some instability that was grossly magnified by her improvement from second surgery when she gained more mobility. Thus, fusion is needed.

Which will be done first week of February. However, that leads to issues.

She's got mid back to waist length hair. She's already upset about the pin areas being shaved. I can't find cutting her hair short will benefit her mentally. The doctors agree it's not required, it's just drastically easier.

So, any hints on taking care of her hair? This will be 12-26 weeks, so while it may be a hassle, I figure we'll get used to anything. We're well set up for washing hair in the sink, but I figure keeping it detangled will be the bigger hassle. Plus, she'll be home or at doctor's only for a good majority of the recovery as she's too big for high back booster seats, but the HALO will make her top heavy. And there's no good way to tether the frame without a five point harness.

Kids here are busy sending all their doctors' great great grandchildren to Harvard.

In a beautiful land of sunshine and fresh fruit! :D
    Length
    bob/58/45+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii/iii

Default Re: HALO wearing with long hair

As for as styling goes:
    Maybe cornrows? Or just a whole bunch of small braids? They would take time to put in, but depending on her hair type they could also last for quite a while.
    The Bob says: When did I get longer than knee?!?
    Proud Promoter of Claw Clips, Turbie Twists, and Tangle Teasers

Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

Cornrows were tried before the most recent surgery, and she found even my loose braiding skills were pulling on her scalp. I suspect it's a lack of ever having braids in prior to adoption, but it's what it is.

She's in the very wurly to slightly curly camp. Microbraids I fear would lock up, and the removal and redo would be not good with the pins.

I do get why 90% of people go for short hair. But, we're not going that way. I figure even if we go to NWSO for the time - she's not going to be getting dirty or sweaty - it's not that bad. But, she's got the starting hormonal changes, so she's pretty oil prone.

However, if the hair becomes a detriment to the HALO, I'm cutting no matter what fits occur. Because hair grows back. Screw up the fusion, she's paralyzed from collarbone and down at least. And while there's some progress, it's still not great and it's a blankity blank to get even slightly better.

Type
    2a/2b/M/i/ii

The only things I can think of are braids and dry shampoos to extend washing even further. You can also get a hair washing tray that allows a person to sit in a chair and have someone wash their hair. I saw a lady wash my Grandmother's hair in one when she was getting a home perm.

Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

My curly girl can tolerate two braids, English style or twists, for a long period. They don't look great, but they're easy enough. Probably even around the HALO.
    It is what it is. You are what you it. There are no mistakes. - Tom Robbins

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

We're going to have to order a larger size crown for you, there's not enough room for all the stars as it is!

Is a topknot possible, or will scalp pain preclude this? Is frequent combing possible with her hair type? NWSO needs combing/brushin/preening and the scalp needs to be scritched.

Length
    6"?/17"/.....
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii/iii

I'm not sure on a topknot. I think it might work., but I'm also thinking the pins will be an issue.

Normally, her hair will frizz up with brushing. But, we aren't talking normal here. So as long as she's comfortable and the HALO can work, we're going for it. I also know we'll have a few weeks where it's whatever she can tolerate, we can fix the problems later.

Seems like braids are best. And if her hair is a mess, eh, it's only a few weeks and not that big of a deal. The doctors are used to the odd hair that's not washed, and that's it for public outings really.

Length
    18"/32"/36"

MandyBeth - You might try a plastic expandable bun holder. I use one for my top knot and it holds comfortably all day. Here is a link for what it looks like.
    http://www.mias-accessories.co.uk/en...769094108.html

I think Scunci or Goody sells them in the USA. I bought the large version at Walmart. Good luck!

Live Well, Love Much, Laugh Often
    Gracefully Growing Gray

Nursing School Sucks LauraLongLocks's Avatar
    Length
    Pixie/102cm/150cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I would alternate a segmented ponytail into your list of potential styles. It's very quick, and if done with scrunchies, it doesn't pull at all.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

2 french or dutch braids would be my choice