Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to deal with hair comparisons?

Length
    chin/CBL+/term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

Default How to deal with hair comparisons?

So my 80 year old grandfather just told me that my sister's hair is better than mine. Now I agree that my sister has beautiful hair, but can one person's hair really be better than another's? I'm pretty upset over his comment. I don't have thick skin. I can try to brush off the comment saying that it's only his opinion, which it is, but it still hurts. How do you guys deal with people comparing your hair to others'?
    Decade of Growing - Start: 3.5.20
    8 months in, 9 years + 4 months to go
    Goal: perhaps find terminal

Type
    2a/C/ii

Default Re: How to deal with hair comparisons?

I can understand your reaction. I don't think you can compare everyone's hair with one another. It's something personal. Personally, I think all natural hair is beautiful.

You got lovely hair by the way. I've seen a picture in another thread

Length
    chin/CBL+/term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

I love all kinds of natural hair, too. And thank you
    Decade of Growing - Start: 3.5.20
    8 months in, 9 years + 4 months to go
    Goal: perhaps find terminal

Length
    16 in/16 in/36 in
    Type
    1b/F/i

Why would your grandfather even say such a thing I wonder? Try to ignore the comment and try not to let what he said interfere with your relationship with your sister.
    High Priestess Milkthystle of Glowing Sands in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

That happend a lot to me as a child, my younger sister had long, wavy blonde hair and mine was plain brown and straight. I also had a classmate once in middle school who told me boys don't like girls like me with long hair but prefered short hairs like hers (this was just a few weeks after she'd cut hers to SL, looking back she probably said that because she regretted her own cut ).

I try to find the reason to WHY they would say that, and if I don't find it, I try to shake it off. There will probably always be people with better hair (what is "better hair" anyway? Does it have to do with length? Color? Thickness? Texture? Condition?) than me, but as long as I'm happy with my hair I figure no ones comments should take that happiness away from me. Especially not when it's just their personal opinion.

Enjoy your own hair and try to shake that strange comment off!. You got lovely hair!

BOB * SL * APL * BSL * WAIST *HIP * BCL * CLASSIC? *

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

I really don't understand why your Grandfather would make such a blatantly rude statement, ugh. That would upset me too.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Beauty really IS in the eye of the beholder. I've seen people elsewhere say all kinds of deeply unpleasant/ offensive things about ultra long hair, yet here we admire and covet it. My mother dislikes my bright berry pink hair yet on the street it elicits many compliments. Natural waves and curls are another divisive issue, especially amongst those of African heritage.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    17/23/29
    Type
    3c/C/iii

Yeah, my family was always comparing too, not just with sisters but with cousins (and I've 50 or more first cousins).
    I don't know why people do this, it's very hurtful and usually not truth. I've seen pairs of sisters with one being called 'the pretty one' who looked just exactly like the other one so many times that it's absolutely crazy.

Length
    CBL/Waist/Hip
    Type
    1c/F/ii

As long as you like and accept your hair, rude comments like that won't phase you. Silly to compare anyways.

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

If someone has something to say about my hair it is either a statement or something hurtful about the texture and hair type so I am used to these kinds of comments. I'm sensitive too but you just have to not care because it is your hair and learn to love the hair you have. Knowing this makes me truly not give a damn what anyone says about my hair - it's mine and I won't change it or give up.
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL