Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you judge women with short hair?

Length
    12/20ish/26+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Do you judge women with short hair?

Feel free to be honest. Everyone can share their true opinions while being polite, so that's all I/everyone else asks!

"In real life", a lot of people judge women with short hair. Things like calling them a d*ke or negative connotations that short hair always means the woman is gay (clarifying here by saying the gay comments aren't always negative, some are general "oh, she has short hair, she must be gay"), that short hair is unfeminine, that the woman has "let her self go". I've heard many other comments from men, all stemming from the basic belief that long hair is beautiful, and short hair is not. I know some men who will not date a woman with short hair, and some women do not think they would be attractive without length to their hair.

Now I realize this is a long hair blog, so for clarify sake, let's say anything between a buzz and a chin length bob equals short hair.

How do you feel about women with short hair? If you don't like it, why? So many people seem to have negative connotations to short hair, and I'd like to know why.

If you have ever had short hair, what changed your mind to grow it long? Just a personal decision, or did you feel pressured to have long hair? For you who have long hair, if for some reason you had to cut it short, do you think you would feel less attractive? Or would you cut it short then say f- you to anyone who doesn't like it?

(I've looked through a couple other topics here about short hair/long hair, and none touched on the reason why/why not, or encouraged discussion about the general consensus about short hair, so I'm going to post this here despite there being one or two threads about a year or older that lightly touches on lengths.)
    Bob*Lifeless collarbone length * Healthy and shiny APL*MBL+

Onward and Upward GoddesJourney's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL!/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

Default Re: Do you judge women with short hair?

I don't judge on hair length at all. I might notice the condition and color if either is out of the ordinary.

Funny thing with men. I thought cutting off all my hair would stop men from looking at me. However, as it turns out, they just look at your body more when they're not distracted by your hair. A couple of my guys laughed at me for not seeing that coming.

For cool tips on life, check out my blog, How to Be Awesome, For Free, a survival guide for surviving in style.

Account Closed by Member Request

For many years during my teens and then again in my 20's I rocked a pixie cut and got allot of compliments for it. Now as I have been getting older, the thought of short hair on *me* is somewhat unsettling. I admire women that feel free from their hair...that the length doesn't hold them hostage because many times that's how I feel about trying to achieve a certain length.

Length
    5/?/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I think short hair cuts can be really lovely, I don't mind them at all. (Well, there's ONE kind of short hair cut I don't like. It's this generic one every lady over 40 I work with seems to have. I don't get it. It's just short. Period. Maybe with a bit of poof at the top/back. It's like the hair has just given up). When I was in my late teens to early twenties I used to just cut my own hair and keep it short. It wasn't the prettiest look, granted, but I suspect it had more to do with my not so awesome skills and lack of interest in hair, ha ha!

My own reason for growing it out was more like an experiment. See how long I could get it before it started to really get on my nerves. Usually me cutting it in the past was me getting annoyed with my hair getting in the way of everything. I've tried this for a few years but never as dedicated as I am now. I think at around 28 I had hair almost at BSL when I lost it and just cut it back to a pixie. Been trying to grow it out again since then, first with the "aid" of my hair dresser and then with the aid of LHC. I've reached waist now and I'm still sane! (more or less)
    "Goth Juice... The most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith." - Vince Noir

Length
    SHLDR/TBL+/CLSC?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I can't say as I've ever judged anyone on their hair length, short or long, other than to admire a style for example.

I don't buy into the short hair = d*ke stereotype at all, 2 of my closest female friends rock very edgy pixies, one is straight, the other is bisexual, both currently have boyfriends. I myself am bi and have almost BCL hair - interestingly enough I have been told many times that I ''look straight''

I like any hair length on another woman as long as it suits her I've had short hair (a very short graduated bob) and I didn't like it, I felt like it didn't suit me and I missed my 5th limb (my hair)!
    No trims in 2014! 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12!
    Hip (34")
    --> BCL (36") --> TBL (~38") --> Dreaming of Classic (42") --> Mid thigh?! (~46"?)

I try not to judge other people's hair. I actually think a lot of women look great with short hair (myself included--I just think I look better with long hair). Short hair is really good at accentuating some features. I think women with high cheekbones or large eyes look really good with short hair.

I've done all sorts of crazy things to my hair, including shaving it. When I shaved it, I got so many compliments from women. Men, on the other hand, asked me if I was okay or if I lost a bet (with the exception of one guy who loved it and gave me all sorts of tips for keeping my scalp looking nice). One guy called me a d*ke. When I had really short hair, a lot of women told me they loved it and they wished they were brave enough to cut their hair short. There were some people who made mean comments.

I decided to grow my hair long because I think I style my hair too much when it's short, and the upkeep is ridiculous (professional cuts every 4-6 weeks). Longer hair also makes me look a little older, and since I teach adults and look very young, I'd like to look mature.

Length
    12/20/26
    Type
    1a/F/i

I don't really judge anyone for having short hair, but I do think some short hair cuts are more feminine than others. I think if someone doesn't think the cut is "feminine" then the "she's a d*ke" comments start, though in my experience it's been guys making these comments.

I actually had a bob for a year or so in high school, it was very layered and textured and I'd spike it in the back sometimes. I thought it was really fun, but then I got bored. There are many more things you can do with long hair (curl it, straighten it, put it up, leave it down, the possibilities are endless!). I also like feeling my hair long and all around me. I like feeling very girly and feminine, and I didn't feel that way with short hair.

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

In my experience, the only people who make the lesbian comments about women with short hair are stupid pre-teen boys. It's very common for women to have very short hair where I live. Many of the women I work with keep their hair "boy short". I also see a lot of medium length and long haired women, too, so there's a wide variety in my area. I think it's safe to say that anyone who assumes a woman is gay because of her hair style is extremely ignorant. I mean that's just backwards and silly. It's 2014 and those people need to get with it.

This is my personal experience with my own long hair vs short hair:
    I have had short hair all my life because as a kid it would knot up so badly my mother had to keep it short. I was a punky teenager, so I kept it short, dyed funky colors, teased, spiked, side shaved, etc. I had lots of crazy hairdos in my teens. In my early 20's I straightened it and dyed it bright pink, then red with a longer layer of black underneath. It was so damaged that I had to chop it all off into a short messy bob (myself!) and I decided to do something I'd never done before: grow it super long and healthy. I grew my hair to tailbone length. During that time I dyed it black, but then changed my mind and bleached it to a dark brown and began using henna. Despite the one time bleaching it, my hair was in excellent condition. For a few years as I was growing it long I felt that my worth was measured by how long my hair was. If I got a trim and the stylist took off too much, I would panic. I had nightmares about my hair being chopped off. I felt like I was in competition with a long haired ex best friend. I hid under my long hair and kept it even though I didn't always enjoy it. For some reason, I developed an unhealthy attitude about my long hair, and I decided I needed to chop it all off again.
    It felt like I was pressing a reset button. As the length was snipped away, I felt like I was letting go a lot of my past. Old dye & bleach, imperfect ends, weird frizzy bits and just plain OLD hair... all gone. My hair is now a short bob with bangs and it has MUCH more volume at the roots. I had no idea my hair could look so full and voluminous! The length was a lot heavier than I thought and made my roots flat. Believe it or not doesn't get quite as greasy as it used to. I'm having fun with my hair again. I plan to grow it to around arm pit length, experimenting with different cuts and styles along the way. For me, focusing so much on the length took the fun out of having hair at all. I will always stick around LHC because I still appreciate very long hair on others, I love to talk about products and henna, and learning new tips for keeping hair healthy and strong.
    What I worry about is will I always be accepted on this forum even though I don't want to grow my own hair long again? Will LHC judge me for going back to occasional heat styling? As a (former) longhair, I used to judge women on how much they willingly damaged their hair rather than how short they kept it. Now I find myself enjoying salon visits, blow drying my hair, looking into styling products, wanting to buy a shampoo *just* because it smells amazing and who cares whats in it, etc. All very non-LHC friendly things! What I have learned is hair is just hair, and maybe some of us need to remind ourselves of that. For some people it's important to have extremely long natural virgin hair, and to other people it's important to have the brightest neon pink punky hair imaginable, at whatever cost. I try not to judge women who bleach or straighten etc. anymore. If someone wants to learn how to have strong healthy hair, I'm happy to share my wisdom with them. If they WANT to keep bleaching and heat styling their hair, more power to them! Hair is dead, man.
    We have to enjoy our hair, and allow others to enjoy theirs however they see fit.

*I* like my hair now, and if someone else doesn't like it, they can buzz off. Ooo, I made a pun.

Length
    APL/BSL/WL
    Type
    2c/3a/F/M/ii

I looooooooove short hair on women. Part of it's a bit of jealousy (for the last eight years, I have dated guys that have a Strong Preference for long hair, and haven't felt that cutting my hair really short is worth it), part of it is admiration (I am lazy and cheap! I do not want to spend time and money keeping a short style looking good!), part of it is that I rarely see women with short styles that don't work for them.

Length
    sl/waist/hip
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii

I have a bit of a pre-set predjudice against women with short hair simply because my first boyfriend preferred short hair on women to the point of criticizing my hair (which has always been long since it suits my face better). As someone integrated into society I take notice of this in myself and correct it so that I treat ladies with short hair no differently than I would someone with long hair. I do, however, do an inward cringe of memories. It's the same with red or ginger hair for the exact same reason. I'm glad I left that guy.
    Proud mama and fiancée
    Chin length