Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So... Who wants to help me out of my hair nightmare/disaster? (PIC HEAVY)

grumpy moon princess millyaulait's Avatar
    Type
    1b/M/ii

Angry So... Who wants to help me out of my hair nightmare/disaster? (PIC HEAVY)

So, in an attempt to rid myself of years of black hair dye, I took a risk and ordered some dye remover. No peroxide involved. My hair feels fine, if a bit dry, but well..... Lets take a look at the photos and see what happened!

Basically my roots are natural bronde, then it gets a bit... uh.... orange, then red and darker red, almost blackened red. It's so..... uneven.

Roots:

Roots with flash:

Length:

Length with flash:

I'm really not sure what to do with it. Do I bleach (ugh) the darkest parts up to an orangey colour, then apply a dye? I'm aiming for chocolate brown, and I know that if I just go ahead and apply it right now it will be SO patchy and strange looking, especially at the top, so I want to sort of this 'base' colour first, because it's so horrendous. I also don't know why it looks SO drastically different with and without flash? \:

Any ideas/tips/help on how to fix this a bit?

{
    maintaining waist
    & wishing for waves }

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default Re: So... Who wants to help me out of my hair nightmare/disaster? (PIC HEAVY)

For colour-correcting work, I always recommend going to a professional with specific photos of what you want to achieve. You don't want to put your hair through various risky trials before finally settling on the colour you wanted. Just make sure you prep your hair with a thorough coconut oiling to protect it before a having it dyed.

Type
    1b/M/ii

Default Re: So... Who wants to help me out of my hair nightmare/disaster? (PIC HEAVY)

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    For colour-correcting work, I always recommend going to a professional with specific photos of what you want to achieve. You don't want to put your hair through various risky trials before finally settling on the colour you wanted. Just make sure you prep your hair with a thorough coconut oiling to protect it before a having it dyed.
    Sensible advice. I really want to fix it myself though, hahah.

{
    maintaining waist
    & wishing for waves }

Length
    Bob/BSL/Hip+
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

When I pulled the black out of mine I used a color remover, then I did a vitamin c treatment once all over and then 2 more times on the darker length/ends and then I used a purple shampoo to help with the orange I got after pulling the dye out. I did put a dye over top after that but I gave it about a week in between. I went from black to light still slightly reddish brown and dyed it to a shade or two lighter than my signature.
    Last edited by Lyv; January 9th, 2014 at 03:29 PM.

Pixie - Ear - Jaw - Chin - SL - CBL- APL- BSL - WL - HL - TBL

Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Lyv View Post
    When I pulled the black out of mine I used a color remover, then I did a vitamin c treatment once all over and then 2 more times on the darker length/ends and then I used a purple shampoo to help with the orange I got after pulling the dye out. I did put a dye over top after that but I gave it about a week in between. I went from black to light still slightly reddish brown and dyed it to a brown pretty similar to my color in my signature.
    Ooh, interesting! Hmm.. I am not sure if I would ever be able to get my hair to match up to my roots/upper hair area without bleach. I have lightened with honey and vit c before but it only lifted about 1 level even after repeated attempts. Maybe I could embrace the red and cover it with a red veggie dye? I think maybe the roots/upper would be way brighter still though.... Blargh...

Maybe dying my roots with a brown to darken them to the midlength colour would be better than trying to lighten everything else up, then just going over everything with the same brown? I am not sure.

{
    maintaining waist
    & wishing for waves }

Length
    12/20/26
    Type
    1a/F/i

I've been in your position 3 times as I tried to go from black to blonde, and every time I'd end up with a red/orange/brown patchy disaster (even when I had it professionally done). The last attempt resulted in my hair breaking in huge chunks and I swore I'd never do this again. I ended up getting a very dark brown dye and dyeing my hair all over again. After a few weeks, when some spots faded and got patchy, I dyed it again. I'm terrified from damaging it more (since I had so much breakage, I didn't know how much more my hair could take and I didn't want to risk it) so now I'm babying it and just letting it grow out.

I really don't know how to eradicate years of black dye (which is what I had), and even the professional colorists couldn't really help me. It was always, always so patchy. My hair is now a nice warm brown color, but I won't be touching it again until I grow out all dye. I don't know if this helps you at all, I hope you can find a way to achieve the color you want without having to wait years to grow it all out. That's just what happened to me

Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by blue_eyes View Post
    I've been in your position 3 times as I tried to go from black to blonde, and every time I'd end up with a red/orange/brown patchy disaster (even when I had it professionally done). The last attempt resulted in my hair breaking in huge chunks and I swore I'd never do this again. I ended up getting a very dark brown dye and dyeing my hair all over again. After a few weeks, when some spots faded and got patchy, I dyed it again. I'm terrified from damaging it more (since I had so much breakage, I didn't know how much more my hair could take and I didn't want to risk it) so now I'm babying it and just letting it grow out.

I really don't know how to eradicate years of black dye (which is what I had), and even the professional colorists couldn't really help me. It was always, always so patchy. My hair is now a nice warm brown color, but I won't be touching it again until I grow out all dye. I don't know if this helps you at all, I hope you can find a way to achieve the color you want without having to wait years to grow it all out. That's just what happened to me
    Aw, I'm sorry that happened to you! I guess it's a pretty tricky thing to do, I would love warm brown.

{
    maintaining waist
    & wishing for waves }

Length
    ~Wst/TBL/~Cls
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Probably not what you want to hear, but based off the photos(may look worse in person) I actually think it looks pretty.
    Wavy, wurly, sometimes curly; on my way to healthier, longer hair!

~Waist → Hip BCL TBL Goal: TBL+ V hem

Length
    Bald/WL/CL
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by TrapperCreekD View Post
    Probably not what you want to hear, but based off the photos(may look worse in person) I actually think it looks pretty.
    I agree

Type
    1b/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by OurAtronach View Post
    I agree
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapperCreekD View Post
    Aw, thank you. Honestly, I think I would like it if it was just one colour all the way down, like if my roots weren't so terrible. I like the colour I see in the flash pics, but it's more muted in real life.

{
    maintaining waist
    & wishing for waves }