Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Warm head coverings and Big Buns - What to do?

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Default Re: Keeping my head warm this winter

Thanks for the thread link. I love the calorimetry pattern! A new project!
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    Pixie/31/35
    Type
    1c/F/ii

There are things called ear bags, which are like earmuffs, but just go over your ears without a band or anything attached--my mom loves these. I just use a hood and scarves to keep the wind, snow, ice, rain, etc. out--the hood is usually loose enough that it doesn't mess up my hair going on or coming off--the scarves just hold it in place after.
    As for when to wash, I go for nighttime because then my hair can dry while I'm warm under lots of covers, and it won't freeze when I step out the door which I bet would be mighty damaging.

Length
    BSL/~Clsc/FrTip
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
    icydove made me a beautiful knit headband last year I wear it rather than a hat or a hood to and from work and it doesn't mess with my updos at all. I don't have a photo of it at the moment, but it's lovely and soft and warm.
    Here it is! She said she used suede yarn ( I know nothing about yarn, so hey, I may be wrong). It's soft and wonderful as I can't stand wool or anything scratchy.

Inset is the detailed shot of the button.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Washing nights works best for me too; I get warm before I go to bed, and my hair is dry when I wake up. I have to be really careful with being cold when my head is wet, because I get earaches really easily. Honestly, a blowdryer on low, focused on the ears and scalp, is not a terrible sin!

As for hats, I wear my hair down most of the time, so I like to pile it on my head then pull a knit hat over that. When I get to where I am going and take my hat off, my hair has nice waves. The more often I do this, especially because I sweat while biking, the better waves I get. Since I do bike, hoods fall off but a knit hat stays on well.

If I do wear my hair up, I prefer braided, pinned 'dos in the winter. Two braids also work well under a hat, up or down. If it's really cold, I will wrap a scarf over them and have that under my coat.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Anje View Post
    Calorimetries and head/ear bands work well in moderately cold weather. My bun is still small enough that a large stretchy knit hat fits over the whole thing. It's a little messy, but it works. (I wear more braids in the winter, which helps.)
    Oh, I love this. I think I want a dozen of them! Now I just have to learn to knit.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by LaurelSpring View Post
    Islandgrrl, Here is a link for some on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...carf&x=12&y=17
    Thank you so much for the link! These are beautiful.
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.

Length
    16/16/40
    Type
    1a/F/i

Unhappy what to wear on your head in winter?

What do you usually wear in winter?? I noticed that my hair is flat like a panncake after wearing a cap , but what can I do?? I dont want to freeze my head off when it is winter and cold!!
    Do you have some advice for me!? I dont really like scarfs on my head, I think I look like an old lady.
    And then my hair feels more thin after wearing a cap. Is it possible that it "grind" or "worn-out" (hope it is the right word) gaahh, I think you know what I mean!!
    Last edited by maaria; October 14th, 2009 at 06:22 AM.

Length
    15/40/45
    Type
    1c/2a/M/iii

Default Re: what to wear on your head in winter?

Unless it's too cold (-10C is too cold, I think), I like earwarmers (headband-type, not earmuff-type), because they let me put my hair up in buns. If it gets too cold I'll just wear a cap+braids. My hair lies quite flat against my head anyway.
    1c/2a - M - iii

Type
    1c/2a/M/i/ii

I second earwarmers, unless it's very freezing outside. I survived last winter with using my hat only few times (I live in finland, so our winters are not so different), because earwarmers are quite warm :'D

Account Closed by Member Request

I wear a woollen hat - I just squeeze it over my bun; or a scarf. I don´t care if I look like an old lady! You could also wear a calorimetry (kind of an extra-wide headband, try searching the forums for it), or you could wear one of those knitted tubes that are supposed to go over your head and neck, I think they look cute.

ETA: This is a calorimetry.
    Last edited by Calista; October 14th, 2009 at 08:04 AM.