Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not quite waves, not quite straight. -__- AHH.

Length
    15/15/22
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Default Not quite waves, not quite straight. -__- AHH.

I stopped using heat and started CO-washing when I joined in November, and my hair is starting to change. I'm really starting to be annoyed by my "flippy" hair that sometimes I feel like using the flat iron again. I never feel pretty anymore because my hair is so short and having to be trimmed every 6 weeks due to damage, and I don't style it with heat anymore so its always just blah. I don't have enough hair to do buns because it just looks like a little ball on the back of my head, and pieces of my "face-framing" layers that I'm growing out are always falling out of my regular braids. I'm tired of not looking put together, and I need some help with no-heat styling. The ways you sleep in to get curls don't seem to work for me because they end up looking crazy and wild when I wake up, and what I really need is a quick routine that I can do with damp hair to make more defined waves so it looks like I actually did something to my hair. I hate wearing my hair in a bun or a ponytail all the time, so I need some help.
    Any suggestions would be wonderful.
    Thanks,
    Kayla
    Last edited by SouthernSweetie; January 1st, 2014 at 03:49 PM.
    At waist; next stop: HIP!

Length
    Chin/Waist/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Default Re: Not quite waves, not quite straight. -__- AHH.

My waves looked nicest at that length if I put my hair in two quick cinnabuns for half an hour while I got ready in the morning. It gives more defined waves, but they are more "random" than braid waves, I find, which is a look I prefer. I've also heard that sea-salt spray can help define waves, have you tried anything like that?
    Maintaining at tailbone - Henna head - Recently reunited with cones - Forever destashing - Kitten enthusiast

Length
    15/15/22
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I'm a newbie to anything pro-natural curl/wave. I never learned how to curl hair well until about a year ago, and that was with a curling wand. The only "styling" I've ever done to my hair has been to flat-iron it for about 4 years straight before November. So, no I haven't, but I wish! It sounds interesting. Would I make it at home or is there a store-bought product out there?

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Have you tried pin-curls? Normally they use heat, but you can just let them dry out naturally. It gives a really glamorous and bouncy feel, and since you're a borderline-wavy like it seems from the flipping, pin-curls would look great on you.

I'd love to try pin-curls, but I have waaaaaay too much hair since it's long and thick now. Pin-curls are naturally suited to shorter hair.
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Length
    Chin/Waist/Waist
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernSweetie View Post
    I'm a newbie to anything pro-natural curl/wave. I never learned how to curl hair well until about a year ago, and that was with a curling wand. The only "styling" I've ever done to my hair has been to flat-iron it for about 4 years straight before November. So, no I haven't, but I wish! It sounds interesting. Would I make it at home or is there a store-bought product out there?
    I think LUSH sell a version, but it's easy enough to make yourself. Fill a spray/mister bottle with filtered water, add 1tsp of fine ground sea salt, half a tsp of your favourite conditioner and a dollop of aloe vera gel - might want to experiment with the amounts a little bit but might be worth a go. I think Aussie do some texture sprays too. Of course, I also like to scrunch with just AVG alone. I just coat my palms with it then close my hands around the waves and it brings them out a treat - or did! My hair just seems to get straighter the longer it gets, I quite miss my waves now.

Pin curls are another great suggestion, I'm just too lazy for them myself :P
    Maintaining at tailbone - Henna head - Recently reunited with cones - Forever destashing - Kitten enthusiast

Length
    Fngtp/fuzzy/??
    Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Ah, the joys of being in the 1c-2a range....

High buns are pretty good for inducing more wave. (I think bee-butt buns are especially effective for this because they don't create quite the same sort of kink in my hair as cinnamon buns.) Combing a few times during the drying process seems to reduce it, at least for me. Braids are nice. But ultimately, I think there's a lot to be said for accepting that you have gently wavy hair. It can be a very attractive texture -- subtle movement and texture that the straighties don't have, but your growth doesn't get eaten by big waves or curls. Straivy hair is OK, even if it's not clearly in one category or another.
    Lady Physis, Lorekeeper of Nature in the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    SMT Intro to Henna How to post a picture Reporting posts Multi-quote feature
    Unless I type in moderator bold, assume I'm just speaking as a forum member.
    Long hair hiatus: short hair for now, buzzcut!

Length
    11/11/18
    Type
    2b/2c/F/i/ii

I sorta know what you mean! My hair is curly, wavy and straight! Curly at the front, wavy at the back and then straight on the right side. I too am trying not to use heat except for special occasions like getting my photos take etc. I like to wear my hair down but if i cant I usually do a bun or something. My hair is not very long either though (shoulder/ armpit length). Sometimes if i dampen it it may go sightly curly, enough to wear out but other than that I don't really know?

Length
    15/15/22
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

Hmmmmm. Very interesting. I might try to make some of that spray! I've got a bottle that was (spray) leave-in conditioner that would work perfect for that! Haha. I always re-use stuff. Thanks!
    And pin curls...I've tried making them and sleeping on them...end result: poofy wild mess. I don't think I did it right, but who knows. I move around way to much in my sleep.. haha.

Length
    MBL/to/HIP
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I do damp beebutt buns for loose waves (see profile pic) and braids for beachy waves. I second embracing your natural texture. The biggest challenge may be your current length. Personally I hated my hair at the length. It seemed like the length stops right in the middle of good waves at that length. Also, half ups will give you more style options. I can't recommend products as I don't use them.

Life's short...Buy the hair toy...

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Wow; I think your natural subtle waves are very pretty.

Two top-of-head buns would probably give a more defined wave pattern. Use a little gel when you form them. Just gather half of the hair and twist until it starts collapsing onto itself, then twirl the length around the base and pin into place with bobby pins. Repeat on the other side. I've gotten the prettiest bun curls from doing this.