Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shea butter

Length
    Pixie/102cm/150cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Default shea butter

I got some raw, organic shea butter to experiment with, and I have no idea what to do with it. I'm not even sure why I bought it. It's a just a block of sticky-feeling stuff.

I've been experimenting with different oils to see what my hair likes. So far, it loves everything I've tried... coconut, jojoba, and argan oils. I'm learning which ones to use at which times and how each one makes my hair feel and what each one seems to do for my hair. I'm just completely stumped at shea butter.

97 cm Photo taken 1-1-2017

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: shea butter

I know you can mix it with conditioner and use it as a treatment. It's also supposed to be fabulous for skin. Some people with drier hair can use it as a leave in all over the hair or you can use it to seal those wet ends. I plan to order some very soon. I would love to hear how it goes for you as a fellow finey.
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Sunscreen obsessed weirdo kaydana's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Not sure I'd bother putting it on your hair. Use it on your skin instead, shea butter is amazing for skin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0mkatyC74c .... so you can turn into more of a lotion than sticky stuff (lol) you can add which ever oil works best for you or makes your hair the happiest but this just makes it easier to use ... on hair and body

Length
    14"/32"/39"
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I love shea butter! Granted, when I put it on my hair it's usually in the form of Shea Moisture, so mixed with other things, mostly oils. But still with shea butter being the first ingredient. And nothing makes my hair softer! To achieve that softer texture that's easy to apply, the video ositarosita linked to seems like a great method. To test to see if your hair likes it, you could make try putting a tiny bit in the palm of your hand with a drop or two of oil and rubbing it around to mix them.
    Dedicated to a free, natural, interconnected, regenerative lifestyle of curiosity & adventure
    Finally at Waist... with a few hairs, anyway. Slowly snipping now!

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

My favorite combination is equal parts of shea butter and coconut oil, whipped. Great on hair and skin, especially in dry winter.
    Shea butter is very difficult to use straight, so experiment mixing it with different oils.

You can do Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ead.php?t=4586

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=91313

Length
    17/24.5/27
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I love straight shea butter on my skin overnight.

I also use shea butter and coconut oil on my hair. I don't bother with melting and whipping it. I just get a small amount of shea butter and a small amount of coconut oil on my hands, then rub them together to melt the coconut oil and mix them together. I apply it to my hair from ears to ends and let it soak in overnight, then wash out with conditioner in the morning. It makes my hair super soft and shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by Naiadryade View Post
    I love shea butter! Granted, when I put it on my hair it's usually in the form of Shea Moisture, so mixed with other things, mostly oils.
    I do the same. My hair loves oliveoil and shea butter-mix.

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

perhap you can mix some favorite carrier oils,EOs and herbs with it and beat it with a mixer to fluff it. Then use as a leave in on ends.
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Length
    Pixie/102cm/150cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by meteor View Post
    My favorite combination is equal parts of shea butter and coconut oil, whipped. Great on hair and skin, especially in dry winter.
    Shea butter is very difficult to use straight, so experiment mixing it with different oils.

You can do Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ead.php?t=4586

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/...ad.php?t=91313
    Thank you for the links. I now have a direction with it. I'll try it as a pre-poo the next time I am planning to do a shampoo, and if that goes well, I'll give it a shot as a leave-in on my ends.

97 cm Photo taken 1-1-2017