Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: shea butter

Length
    30ish/47"/70+"
    Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

Default Re: shea butter

I just received a pound of this stuff, and am looking for great ways to use it. My only experience with shea butter so far is a product called "Cantu Grow Strong Strengthening Treatment" which my hair seems to love. It's got a lot of ingredients I'm not happy with, so I decided to buy some of the raw, undefined butter to experiment with. I also grabbed some emu oil, and have no idea what to do with it!
    Lady Saphira of the Crystal Wings in the Order of the Long Haired Knights!

Quote Originally Posted by faellen View Post
    Raw shea butter is better when whipped up with other stuff. I use it mixed with various oils and some essential oils for fragrance - because I think raw shea butter smells absolutely gross on it's own!
    I luv shea butter..but hate the smell..so on amazon i bought REFINED shea butter..its softer so it easier to mix with other oils it doesnt smell so u can add to ur hearts content whatever essential oil scents u like..wonderful for hair and skin. =)

Length
    10/MBL/TBL
    Type
    3a/M/ii

Bumping this cause I want to know peoples favorite way to use shea butter in their hair. Just got a new tub today.
    MBL stretched | MBL curly

Length
    MBL/WL+/TBL+
    Type
    3b/M/C/iii

Personally I'm not tempted to use it. I've tried Shea Butter Nilotica (lower melting point) but I don't like that grabby feel on my hair. But I still would buy unrefined or refined shea butter one day for my skin.

Purple Enthusiast SleepyTangles's Avatar
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

Hello! My skin and scalp usually like cocoa butter better than shea, but I think itīs nice anyhow: I used to melt the tiniest amount in my palms and kinda scrunch my waves with it. Like Fimu said, itīs a bit "grabby", I wouldnīt use it for detangling.
    Refined/lower-quality shea butter is usually creamier and easier to handle, while raw/virgin is light and flakey... Also, refined shea has less latex inside, so if you are latex-sensitive that may be important
    Pixie! - Ear - Chin-length floofball - B(L)ob - Shoulder - APL...

Length
    APL/Hip/FTL

I really enjoy Shea Moisture products like deep conditioning masks but have not been successful yet in using the shea butter in diy treatments. I haven’t found a way to use it without it weighing down my hair. There’s a Foxx’s moisturizing shea cream but that is too heavy for my fine-medium 1b/1c ish hair. I’ve tried mixing in conditioner but it was too heavy for me then too. Might be easier to use if you’re curly

Type
    2c/3a/F/i/ii

I use raw, unrefined shea (cheaper from Ghana), straight on my body after cleansing with African Black Soap daily. I put a small amount in a container and let it melt in the shower. I actually can use a drop on my face with no break outs. Yes, it takes time to spread and absorb, but so worth it for me. Heals, prevents scarring, natural sunblock. On my hair I have used it as a leave in-grabby, yes, but defines my curls. I like it as a pomade on dry hair, too. I don't use it on hair as much due to the time it takes to distribute a small amount, but I do like the results. The secret for me is use a very teeny bit, which makes it all the harder to evenly apply. Good stuff, though. I tried to find the Nilotica, but it's not as readily available and costs much more.

Length
    chin/waist/Class
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I had mainly been using it as body lotion (mixing Shea butter, touch of coconut oil, jojoba oil, rosehip seed oil and peppermint and tea tree essential oils) but after reading I thought I'd try it as a pre poo and that softened my ends so much. After a while they became crunchy but that's cause of the coconut. So I'm gonna make a sample batch with Shea butter and argan oil or another oil and see which my hair prefers 😊

Length
    ?/WL/FTL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

I’m a shea butter fan. I use it as a hand, face moisturiser, lip balm. Recently I’ve rubbed some between my hands and applied to my plait and tassel

Length
    14/22/40
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii

I usually just take a small amount in my hand with some coconut oil, and use the heat from my hand to melt them together to use as a conditioning treatment on my hair and skin. Sometimes mix in essential oils like rosemary or lavender but not always.