Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: shea butter

Length
    12/mb/waist
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Default Re: shea butter

I use shea as a leave-in on my ends and lightly on my length. It's "grabby" feeling but it really makes my hair feel supple and smooth.
    Routine for my dyed mid back length hair: shampoo and condition twice a week, with Alterna Kendi Dry Oil Spray all over and shea butter on ends and lightly on length as leave-ins on wet hair, and blow dried with a Sedu on low heat

may the forks be with you faellen's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Raw shea butter is better when whipped up with other stuff. I use it mixed with various oils and some essential oils for fragrance - because I think raw shea butter smells absolutely gross on it's own!

Length
    SL/CBL/HL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

I need to try this on my skin. it is so dry this time of year.
    Lady Rhiannon, Grand OverSeer of Mischief and Mayhem, keeper of The Wizard, of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Chopped it all off, grew out henna, and having fun starting over.

Length
    Pixie/102cm/150cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by faellen View Post
    Raw shea butter is better when whipped up with other stuff. I use it mixed with various oils and some essential oils for fragrance - because I think raw shea butter smells absolutely gross on it's own!
    Me, too! Glad to hear it will be better mixed. Thanks.

97 cm Photo taken 1-1-2017

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

If it is unrefined west African (high healing faction and stearic acid) use it on your skin. If it is refined East African (little healing fraction, higher oleic acid) try it diluted as a treatment on dry hair with heat to keep it molten for penetration. Be aware shea butter is not noted for slip so don't try detangling with it and can build up so don't overuse it/ clarify regularly.

Personally I use West African as a barrier agent in place of Vaseline/ petroleum jelly when dying hair and have used it post light lactic acid peel. Would not use sticky butters on my hair except tucuma.
    Last edited by Firefox7275; December 26th, 2013 at 05:27 PM.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I made 2 versions of whipped butter with the shea butter. My first try at whipping it...well, something went amiss. I admit I got a bit creative with the add-ins. Then, I had the brilliant idea of adding a little vinegar to the mix. Well, the mix curded. It doesn't smell bad and it did not go bad, but it looks weird. I did try this on my daughter's hair with a bit of mayo mixed in. We did the whole heat cap for an hour thing. Her hair type is in the 4's. Let me just say that the results on her were short of amazing. Her hair was bouncy, moisturized, and curly, but not fluffy and dry as it had been prior to the treatment.

Then, I decided to go back to the drawing board and made another batch for skin. OMG! I loved it. I didn't even realize I was so ashy and scaly...lol. This is definitely a keeper for the winter months.
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Length
    Pixie/102cm/150cm
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

Well, so far, I've been mixing it with a little coconut and putting it on as a pre CO-wash. I can't really tell any difference. It's nice on my chapped hands. I'm sure the rest of my skin would appreciate it as well.

97 cm Photo taken 1-1-2017

Type
    2c/3a/F/ii

I have been using a fingertip full of shea and like 5-6 drops of argan oil for my hands, face, and hair. I just melt it between my palms, get my hands and nails. Then put a pretty thick layer on my face and then put the rest on the my length and ends from ears down. It feels a little sticky putting it in your hair but it's super soft and smooth when it's dry.

Length
    ChL/BSL/TBL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/M/ii

I also got shea butter for christmas. I tried it on, but the smell... Oh the smell... I'm definitely mixing it with coconut oil next time..

ChL-SL-APL-BSL-MBL-WL-HBL-TBL ........

"When it rains, everything grows..."

Length
    27 in/27 in/33 in
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I like the smell of Shea, it smells earthy. Like good garden dirt! I've been using it on my skin. Amazing! My skin is really picky and usually anything I try makes it freak out. My fiancé is also a convert. He is also really acne prone but he uses this with no issues. I haven't tried it on my hair except for using the extra on my hands to smooth down my hair. I'll have to play with it some more.