Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ah, the beauty of fine/thin hair

Length
    21.5/BSL+/Waist
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Default Ah, the beauty of fine/thin hair

I've always lamented my fine/thin hair. However, my hair is just above BSL and I was able to do a tiny little infinity bun today. It looks pretty cute if not lopsided. I have some layers, so the last couple of inches are pretty tapered. I know I've heard it before, but I guess there really could be a benefit to skinny tresses...more updo's at shorter length!

I guess I did cheat a little and had to secure the ends with a little claw clip, but I still have the infinity symbol/figure 8. So this and the lazy bun are my new favorite up-dos.

Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Default Re: Ah, the beauty of fine/thin hair

I love fine hair, I'm always so jealous of it! Some of the PRETTIEST hair I've known in real life has been gossamer fine, it's like silk. My friend had fine light hair, and it was pin straight - she could wash it and it would dry in this gorgeous way in about half an hour; although she wanted thicker hair, she could have beautiful straight fine hair at the drop of a hat!!!

We always want what we haven't got - you have very pretty hair, and it must be so exciting to master new updos!

Length
    BSL/AP/-
    Type
    1b/M/ii

A couple of weeks ago I had a customer with blonde hair. It was fine, thin and long. I've no idea how long because it was up but I imagine at least hip.

She had a figure 8 bun, with a lot of coils, held with a barrette. It looked so beautiful and very delicate. That look is harder to achieve with thicker hair. I complimented her updo which obviously made her quite happy.

I say, embrace your fine and thin hair. Your updos will always have delicate, almost artistic look.

Length
    ?/26/30++
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

what a great thread idea! Glad you are feeling good about your hair.

As someone with similar length and texture, I am still having trouble appreciating my hair. Not only is it fine and thin, but it's also wavy enough that I have trouble getting updos smooth, and I have tons of baby hairs, meaning it is doubly messy.

Also, when I do braid or put it up, the ends look so pathetic and it looks like I have less hair than I do.

The days I appreciate my hair is when it's been washed within the last day and I can wear it down, and I love it more when it has more wave. That way it looks like I have more hair than if I wear, for example, a single braid.
    Feb 2013, solid BSL again but shedding. Wondering if this is really terminal length. Hairtype 1b/2b, F/M, ii

Type
    1a/F/i

Smile Re: Ah, the beauty of fine/thin hair

I have poker straight hair that is so thin and without volume whatsoever I have no choice but to wear it up. Wearing it loose would result in rats tails.

I wish I could love my hair, but I don't. I never shall. Long or short it will still be horrible.

Wearing it up in some fashion disguises how thin it is, but I find most updos impossible to achieve in my thin hair and if I did so them they would look so pathetic.

I think you are lucky in that you have a nice wave to your hair and am pleased that you are having fun wearing it all different ways.

I only look confused. Arctic_Mama's Avatar
    Length
    Shldr/Waist/Knee
    Type
    2b/F/M/ii/iii

Lucky girl I have VERY thick hair, even though its fine I have a ton of it... I always need it almost a good 8 inches longer than someone with normal thickness to achieve the same style!

Congrats on your little bun, how rewarding to be able to try new styles now.
    The hair is the richest ornament of women. - Martin Luther
    Goal: Virgin knee length

Length
    ear/TBL+!/?
    Type
    2a/F/M/i/ii

Congratulations on your infinity bun . I have thin, fine-ish hair, too, and used to mourn over how tiny my updos were. Now I kind of like how buns make my hair look shorter than it is; it's as though my hair is undercover.

Length
    24/36/??
    Type
    1b/F/ii

Somewhere around here is a link to a remarkable series of photos on how to do various bun styles on some gorgeous, glossy thin and fine hair. I can't remember who it was that set it up, but I'll go digging.

Regardless, I think she was able to do such intricate and yes, delicate, work just because she wasn't fighting against volume. Really, they were quite beautiful updos. A major hair inspiration for me.

Length
    long/term/term
    Type
    1a/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Angelica View Post
    I have poker straight hair that is so thin and without volume whatsoever I have no choice but to wear it up. Wearing it loose would result in rats tails.

I wish I could love my hair, but I don't. I never shall. Long or short it will still be horrible.

Wearing it up in some fashion disguises how thin it is, but I find most updos impossible to achieve in my thin hair and if I did so them they would look so pathetic.

I think you are lucky in that you have a nice wave to your hair and am pleased that you are having fun wearing it all different ways.
    Ha! You must be my hair twin!

But I *love* my hair, it's just what I want. My updo selection is sorta slim because I'm challenged that way, but people think my standard everyday bun is exotic and difficult. I showed my cousin this very evening, in a parking lot, how to make this updo with only a hairstick and she was dumbfounded.

I love my fine thin fairytale ends, they wrap into any updo so well.

My only hair-sadness at the moment is lack of funds for some additional exotic hairsticks and forks!

Please remember that with thin straight hair, if it's short it's still thin straight hair. In fact, mine sort of disappears. Much better long.

And congrats to OP on the infinity bun... I *still* can't get one to look right, so you're way ahead of me!

Length
    19/30/36
    Type
    1a/F/ii

I spent years lamenting not only my fine, thin, but straight hair. It's really only since joining LHC and learning dozens of styles that I really appreciate the versatility of my hair both up, half-up and down.

Now I'm really happy with my hair type. I know I'll never have the extreme lengths of some members here, but I can live with that.