Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tangle help please?! Need a routine to keep away knots!

Length
    2"/44"/46"
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Default Tangle help please?! Need a routine to keep away knots!

I have thick hair about bcl. It is somewhat layered at the ends because of an old set of bangs and the fact I have grown it from a mans haircut. So it grew in in layers. But anyways yesterday I left my side braid in for 24 hours and was in the shower detangling with detangles for a half hour! Is that normal? Some of it seemed like it matted. It's seems really healthy when it is properly combed and everything, but I can't seem to keep it detangled. I am no good at buns. Would it be better if I comb and rebrand it a few times a day? What should I do?

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

Default Re: Tangle help please?! Need a routine to keep away knots!

That's normal and it's definitely fine to rebraid your hair a couple of times a day--even braids have their limits, especially if you leave them in for a full day like you did.
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Before you wet your hair, gently detangle it with a wide tooth comb.

To help cut down on tangles when shampooing, part your hair in the center so that it is in two sections. Try and keep both sides separate throughout the shampoo process and the rinsing out.

Also, when shampooing, shampoo in one direction at a time..that is, work slowly from your crown down to your neck. The less you manipulate your hair, the less chance of tangles.

As far as tangles when unbraiding a braid that hasn't been undone for a long period of time, just undo the braid and keep the 3 sections separate.
    Work on ONE section to detangle it (always work from the ends up...a little at a time..until you reach the roots). Once one section has been detangled, clip it aside..or band it, to keep it from tangling again. Now work on the next section and untangle it. Finish with the last section.
    Gently and slowly comb the length of your hair, then style.

I would definitely not suggest leaving your hair in a braid for long periods of time. Find the time to unbraid it and comb it out, then braid it again.
    Last edited by Madora; December 24th, 2013 at 05:09 PM.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Are you sure you are 1c and not a proper wavy in the 2s? Are you detangling after a thorough wet down/ rinse plus long soak in a slippy conditioner? Do you use a silk/ satin pillowcase or sleep cap?

I keep tangles down with ease (wear my hair wavy-curly and loose at BSL) with conditioner only washing and leave in conditioner that effectively 'reactivates' when put need the shower. Oils can substitute for leave in conditioner if you prefer. Build up and damage increase tangles.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.

Length
    2"/44"/46"
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox7275 View Post
    Are you sure you are 1c and not a proper wavy in the 2s? Are you detangling after a thorough wet down/ rinse plus long soak in a slippy conditioner? Do you use a silk/ satin pillowcase or sleep cap?

I keep tangles down with ease (wear my hair wavy-curly and loose at BSL) with conditioner only washing and leave in conditioner that effectively 'reactivates' when put need the shower. Oils can substitute for leave in conditioner if you prefer. Build up and damage increase tangles.
    I am pretty sure it is a 1c. I do use a satin pillowcase. I actually used my cone free conditioner to condition it last night and I did let it sit in my hair. I always condition twice. My hair is also down to my buttcrack so it is probably more prone to tangles than bsl.

I didn't read everyone's response. But I can tell you that Madora knows what she's talking about. I can also tell you my opinion.
    Wear your hair in a bun or braid each and every day. Unbraid or unbun each night. THEN detangle with a wide tooth comb from the ends on up. THEN loosely braid your hair in pigtail braids for the night. THEN unbraid and rebraid in the morning. I recommend you likely need more conditioner when you wash your hair, and possibly also a detangle spray or some kind of detangling agent to help you detangle. Long hair ALWAYS tangles. I've only ever met one person with long hair that has no tangles. She has beautiful hair, and is a lovely woman.

AND I recommend you use a wide-tooth comb. I use an extra-wide wide tooth comb. My hair doesn't detangle with merely a wide-tooth comb; I need an extra-wide tooth comb. I bought mine from Madora in NY. It's the ivory colored one.

ALSO do not enter the shower with braided hair. Very unwise.
    heidi w.
    Last edited by heidi w.; December 24th, 2013 at 06:45 PM.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Length
    2"/44"/46"
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

I actually own a horned comb, but am more apt to use my fingers than anything else.

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

are your tangles more at the bottom, nape or MB?
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Length
    14"/32"/39"
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

I find that for some reason, for me side braids are a little more prone to tangling than other kinds of braids. Especially in the back of the head. Something to consider/watch for.

Do you oil your hair? Have you experimented with different kinds of oils to see how your hair reacts? For me, extra virgin olive oil is a stellar anti-tangling agent. At BSL, it kept me virtually tangle-free all the time. At WL, I can't quite claim that anymore, but the tangles are still quite manageable and only really in the ends.

Other than that, good advice has already been given. But I do want to reiterate: always completely detangle your hair before getting it wet! Hair is much more fragile and easier to break when it is wet, than when it is dry.

Maybe even consider only detangling your hair when it is dry... this is definitely a YMMV thing (for example, most curlies can only really detangle when wet or it breaks up the curls), but personally my hair is easy to detangle when dry and oiled, and still not too bad when dry and naked, but if I try to detanlge when wet it just snaps a million times and snarls even more. If it is completely smothered beyond saturation in conditioner, it is possible... but I still lose a lot of hair to breakage and excess shedding. Not. Worth. It. I wait until it's dry, and just try to reduce tangling in the shower by using methods such as Madora described.

Finger combing is great, provided you are slow and gentle. Maybe consider getting a Tangle Teezer for those difficult knotty times.
    Last edited by Naiadryade; December 24th, 2013 at 11:58 PM. Reason: clarification in pp.4
    Dedicated to a free, natural, interconnected, regenerative lifestyle of curiosity & adventure
    Finally at Waist... with a few hairs, anyway. Slowly snipping now!

Length
    2"/44"/46"
    Type
    1c/M/C/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Naiadryade View Post
    I find that for some reason, for me side braids are a little more prone to tangling than other kinds of braids. Especially in the back of the head. Something to consider/watch for.

Do you oil your hair? Have you experimented with different kinds of oils to see how your hair reacts? For me, extra virgin olive oil is a stellar anti-tangling agent. At BSL, it kept me virtually tangle-free all the time. At WL, I can't quite claim that anymore, but the tangles are still quite manageable and only really in the ends.

Other than that, good advice has already been given. But I do want to reiterate: always completely detangle your hair before getting it wet! Hair is much more fragile and easier to break when it is wet, than when it is dry.

Maybe even consider only detangling your hair when it is dry... this is definitely a YMMV thing (for example, most curlies can only really detangle when wet or it breaks up the curls), but personally my hair is easy to detangle when dry and oiled, and still not too bad when dry and naked, but if I try to detanlge when wet it just snaps a million times and snarls even more. If it is completely smothered beyond saturation in conditioner, it is possible... but I still lose a lot of hair to breakage and excess shedding. Not. Worth. It. I wait until it's dry, and just try to reduce tangling in the shower by using methods such as Madora described.

Finger combing is great, provided you are slow and gentle. Maybe consider getting a Tangle Teezer for those difficult knotty times.
    I only detangled it in the shower so that I could let the conditioner sit on it for a while and then I slowly finger combed it. What about hair detangler? Is that good or bad? I know it makes your hair wet, but it is mean't to detangle it..

Quote Originally Posted by ErinLeigh View Post
    are your tangles more at the bottom, nape or MB?
    It mostly tangles near my neck. Usually because I wear a coat and although I tuck my hair underneath it to keep it from getting too cold, I also wear a hat and the friction between the hat and the coat seems to knot it up. If that makes sense.
    Last edited by Gumball; February 4th, 2014 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Combined posts into multi-quote. See http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43281 for details.