Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why have long hair if it's always hidden?

Length
    12/20ish/26+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Why have long hair if it's always hidden?

Hello,

I have a question. I'm very curious about it, and would love to hear different people's opinions. Also in my title I said women, but men of course can comment. I just rarely see men wearing buns and hair clips.

What I'm wanting to know is, why do you not wear your hair down? You spend many years growing it long, but then always have it up so no one can see the length. I'm not meaning this question as an insult at all, I am very curious why! I see a lot of postings with women who do not wear their long hair down. I understand this is in part due to protecting it, but don't you ever want to leave your hair down? Sometimes I wonder why knee length + is desired if never worn down. Again, I'm not upset or meaning to insult anyone, just interested! I guess in my mind, I'd always want it down if I had long, gorgeous hair. ;D But I've also read that some women, as well as leaving it up during the day, don't even have it down for the night! Seems the only time it is left down is for a shower, or a length shot. Now I always wear mine up, but that is because it's at an awkward length and not so healthy looking. I dream about the day I can proudly wear it down. And I also understand wearing it up at work, or with children, etc. But besides that, why? Thanks for reading!
    Bob*Lifeless collarbone length * Healthy and shiny APL*MBL+

Length
    20/34/38
    Type
    1c/F/ii/iii

Default Re: For women with very long hair who wear it up all the time... why?

It is a personal choice and many wear their hair down for special occasions or just around the house. For many updos are not only protective but decorative and the amazing updos possible with very long hair are one of the major reasons I'm growing mine. Remember that hair growth can be a very personal choice, and that although someone personally loves their hair long even if they love the feel of it long and flowing around them they may not like the hassle of going outside in the wind with it or simply they are not growing their hair for others to look at so it doesn't matter to them. But I'm only at waist so I can't really say. I've started to wear my hair down more the closer to my goals I get (not that I'm all that close but I've also become lazy) as it needs less protecting since I will soon be able to trim.

As for night time even at waist my hair can get in the way. Especially when I share the bed with my other half who is convinced my hair is haunted by some kind of tickle monster and can get into his mouth and eyes. Besides, I like the waves and curls I get from having it up at night and it reduces the chance that I lie on part of it and get caught.

I'm sure some of the really long hairs will comment with answers too but I hope this helps with the general idea. Just remember everyone is different and go from there...
    BSL...Waist ...Hip...TBL...Classic
    Lady Ailesthie of the oanluckit caayr Havaniora In the order of the long haired knights
    You tube channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbIeRwJ1NrulSHG_VgogRCA

Length
    8 in/41/45 +
    Type
    2b/2c/C/ii/iii

Hair tangles. Knee+ hair tangles after a day at the park? Yeah, I'd rather wear it up and I'm not even there yet. Add small children to that and well it's not something I want, even when my hair was shorter!

Wearing hair down also brings out attention. People stare, some want to touch it, they comment and it's not always good. I grow my hair for me and I dislike that kind of attention. It's the same exact reason why people get tattoos in places that can be cover up, for privacy.

Lady Ligeia of the Wandering Oleander in the order of the Long Hair Knights

Length
    12/20ish/26+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by FireFromWithin View Post
    It is a personal choice and many wear their hair down for special occasions or just around the house. For many updos are not only protective but decorative and the amazing updos possible with very long hair are one of the major reasons I'm growing mine. Remember that hair growth can be a very personal choice, and that although someone personally loves their hair long even if they love the feel of it long and flowing around them they may not like the hassle of going outside in the wind with it or simply they are not growing their hair for others to look at so it doesn't matter to them. But I'm only at waist so I can't really say. I've started to wear my hair down more the closer to my goals I get (not that I'm all that close but I've also become lazy) as it needs less protecting since I will soon be able to trim.

As for night time even at waist my hair can get in the way. Especially when I share the bed with my other half who is convinced my hair is haunted by some kind of tickle monster and can get into his mouth and eyes. Besides, I like the waves and curls I get from having it up at night and it reduces the chance that I lie on part of it and get caught.

I'm sure some of the really long hairs will comment with answers too but I hope this helps with the general idea. Just remember everyone is different and go from there...
    Oh yes, so sorry if my original post made it sound like everyone should be one way. I guess since I am not this way, I am curious to talk with those that are! And I don't know any "long hairs" in real life, so I can't ask them. I totally forgot about the braid waves at night, thanks for mentioning that. That makes sense to wear it braided if you want no heat curls.

Length
    20"/46"/?
    Type
    2b/F/ii

For a lot of people, the only way they can grow their hair to such lengths is to wear it up.

Also, wearing knee-length hair down must be a right pain in the @rse, as doing so with my waist-length hair certainly is. It gets caught in stuff, it goes in my food, in my eyes, it forms instant dreadlocks, gets trapped in doors, takes hours to detangle and invariably gets damaged. I can't imagine the hassle of going about with loose hair of extreme length, not to mention the damage it would incur.

The only reason my hair has got to waist is because I wear it up every day, and at night too. It's thin and fine and damages easily- easily enough that wearing it down or in a ponytail resulted in a stall of several years at shoulder length. Some people have no choice but to wear it up if they want it to grow. Alas, I'd love to run around trailing a luxurious mane, but that's not going to happen.

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii

I agree with all of the above, but probably the biggest factor in my always wearing hair up is peoples weird attitudes to very long hair. I like it, most LHC members like it, but a lot of people in real life think its gross. Plus it just gets in the way a lot and tanges, and I love a nice braided bun!

Length
    12/CL/52
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

Because:

You don't get to KEEP beautiful long hair if you don't protect it. It'll be a tatty mess in no time if you don't keep it up and watch out for it.

Creepy jerk guys oogle you in public, and it's gross. And not everyone wants to be oogled.

It takes AGES to carefully pick through long hair to detangle at night.

It gets in the way. You sit on it, you close doors on it, you drag it through stuff, people grab at it, etc.

Personal reason:

I think it's immodest. (Wearing it down that is)

Hair in Sunlight

Kindness consists of loving people more than they deserve.

Length
    12/20ish/26+
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Aliped View Post
    I agree with all of the above, but probably the biggest factor in my always wearing hair up is peoples weird attitudes to very long hair. I like it, most LHC members like it, but a lot of people in real life think its gross. Plus it just gets in the way a lot and tanges, and I love a nice braided bun!
    I understand this and I don't. I think long hair is beautiful, and I sometimes wonder where all these LHC faeries with their flowing locks live, because I don't know anyone past BSL! Haha. I feel like I am in an imaginary world. I like it though. But day to day, I don't see long hair, and the rare times I do, I hear people make comments or look at them funny.

(I just changed my icon and I don't recognize my posts anymore haha I thought "wait, but I just said that...")

Tries to Help Everyone jacqueline101's Avatar
    Length
    slh/Hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/F/iii

People wear it up to protect the ends. Protected ends will allow hair to grow without tangles and splits. Tangles are a pain to get out and when hair reaches a certain length I'd guess since I'm not there you would have to wear it up due to it being in the way. To protect it from being sat on and so on.

http://51303.photobucket.com/user/ja...ker101/profile
    Some say I'm nearing hip and my fat ate the hair I'm jacqueline101 not a pronoun
    jacquelinewalker101.blogspot.com

I don't have long hair now, but I used to have nearly ankle length hair. It was generally around knee length, but a bit longer. I cut it off. It tangled so badly I couldn't get it out, so I cut it off.

I used to wear my hair up ALL of the time. All of the time. Literally. I wore it up to avoid it getting caught in a lot of stuff and to avoid tripping on it, and to take care of the ends. Tucking the ends in a bun is the best way to avoid tangling, which my hair is very easily.

I advise wearing it up. I didn't really care if anyone saw it. It's in an art video, and I know a lot of people saw it. I strongly advise knowing hair buns and wearing it up a lot.

heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC