Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Why have long hair if it's always hidden?

Default Re: Why have long hair if it's always up and almost no one sees it?

Quote Originally Posted by jane_marie View Post
    Although my hair is only just past waist I can relate to this sentiment a bit. When I first came to LHC I was very hesitant to start wearing my hair up regularly. I'm not sure why but I wanted to have it longer so I could wear it down all the time. However, eventually two things happened...

First off, on more than one occasions while taking the bus to classes this winter strangers felt the need to touch my hair. :
    Secondly, I found some styles that I liked/worked for me and became a bit more comfortable with wearing it up whenever I'm out of the house.

Now, I have started wearing it down at home in the evening when it's just me and my SO. Then he usually brushes it in the evening before I put it into a sleep style.At this point I like that having my hair down has become a private, special thing. I like the way my hair feels brushing against me in the evening breeze while in my yard. I also like that mostly in real life the only people who get to see/touch my loose hair are myself and my fiance.

Reading over this I realize how old-fashioned this sentiment is but I don't know, I like it.

That said, there are days when I am home all day that I just leave it down all day... which I guess I shouldn't since I live in a particularly windy area. lol
    I can relate to this. I realised I only like my other half being the only man to touch my hair after I had it washed at a salon by a guy. It felt strange because it's such a private thing between us, and it's quite a sensual thing for me. I didn't realise I felt this way until it happened and I was so uncomfortable.

In answer to the original question, I used to think this too. I still prefer loose hair but it's much easier to manage whilst it's longer, whether that's getting it off my face and neck when I'm too hot or it's in the way at that moment.

I'm slowly coming around to understanding why people do wear it up more for various reasons though.

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Oh the search function can be a little difficult to navigate as well. Try searching "titles only"; there is that option to do so. It often gives more concise results as it scours titles for like questions.
    Or, it might be great if we had a sticky about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elodea View Post
    yep, it's been amusing to me to see people having to resort to DIY haircuts to maintain their shorter hairstyles. Whereas that isn't even close to being a problem for me.

Yes, the main point of my hair isn't really so that other people can see/look at it and think "wow, her hair is long!!" If they do think that, it's... alright, but it's not really a goal or reason for why I have long hair. In fact, I'd actually prefer not to be a spectacle in that way, having people gawk at me because of my hair, so I don't typically wear my hair loose in public. Additionally, past hip or TBL it began to be more convenient and practical to stop wearing my hair loose unless I was just sitting around at home. It gets in the way of doing things if I leave it completely down.

I'm currently at the “hmmm can I get to Finger Tip length”? part of this process haha
    I don't even mind so much if they gawk (as long as they don't take pictures or something), as long as they don't want me to talk to them about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Feral_ View Post
    At the end of the day it’s no one’s business but your own if you have your hair up or down. It’s as personal as what clothes someone is wearing or their skin colour. It is part of them, so strangers really shouldn’t pass judgemental comments.
    Good point. I mean, would someone with a good body be asked why they go to the gym and such if they're just going to wear clothes?
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Quote Originally Posted by Kat View Post
    Wouldn't be bad. I just discovered it by accident one time while searching, because I got so many "hits" on what I was looking for, then I saw that there was this option of just looking for a word or phrase in the titles alone, and that's basically what you want, right?
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    Wouldn't be bad. I just discovered it by accident one time while searching, because I got so many "hits" on what I was looking for, then I saw that there was this option of just looking for a word or phrase in the titles alone, and that's basically what you want, right?
    Like this one?

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Length
    BSL/CL/FTL
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I don't have time to read all the responses, so sorry if this has been said already -

But I appreciate "integrity" of a style. Let me illustrate: say I want to look like a modern wood nymph. Even if I can achieve this through hair extensions or other fakeries, this would not hold true to my core self. If my hair is long, I know I can instantly look like a wood nymph by letting it down and throwing on a woodsy dress. Even though I don't do this all the time, knowing I have the capability makes me feel I am being true to myself. My hair is equally long whether I wear it up or down, and I always know that, though others might not. (Note that by "integrity", I mean consistency with the core of the thing, not honesty.)

For the same reason, I don't wear much makeup. I would rather look like myself at all times, and not rely on a temporary extension or enhancement of myself. (I know this is just personal preference - I think makeup can be epic and very creative as an art form.)

I hope this makes sense.
    Last edited by elise.autumn; June 2nd, 2020 at 04:54 PM.

Indeed, the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Donít be afraid; you are worth more... Luke 12:7

Length
    WL/TBL+/CL+
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Various reasons:

- Hygiene. I work in a hospital
    - Convenience
    - It protects the hair, both from damage and from weird looks and comments
    - I have 'incognito' long hair, which is cool
    - Limitless styling possibilities without needing extensions or wigs
    - My hair is my business. It's not there for other people to touch, admire or criticise
    - I will cut my hair once I am defeated in battle -
    Lady Lavender, Mistress of the Mighty Fowl, in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

Length
    12/24in/36 in
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by elise.autumn View Post
    I don't have time to read all the responses, so sorry if this has been said already -

But I appreciate "integrity" of a style. Let me illustrate: say I want to look like a modern wood nymph. Even if I can achieve this through hair extensions or other fakeries, this would not hold true to my core self. If my hair is long, I know I can instantly look like a wood nymph by letting it down and throwing on a woodsy dress. Even though I don't do this all the time, knowing I have the capability makes me feel I am being true to myself. My hair is equally long whether I wear it up or down, and I always know that, though others might not. (Note that by "integrity", I mean consistency with the core of the thing, not honesty.)

For the same reason, I don't wear much makeup. I would rather look like myself at all times, and not rely on a temporary extension or enhancement of myself. (I know this is just personal preference - I think makeup can be epic and very creative as an art form.)

I hope this makes sense.
    Absolutely.

Length
    24Ē/33.5"/39"
    Type
    1a/F/i

Well actually, I wear mine down most of the time!
    APL - BSL - MBL - **WL** - HL - TBL
    Last dye: Feb 2017
    Last trim: 8th September 2019

Quote Originally Posted by neko_kawaii View Post
    Yes, precisely. Because this is a question we get a lot, so if it's addressed in the sticky threads, that would be great. Especially since it's one of those questions that tends to sound antagonistic.
    Putting it in my signature because I have to say it so often:
    Do what works for your hair, not what other people say is "right" or "wrong." If it works for you, it's not wrong. If it doesn't work for you, it's not right.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/55/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

Yes, precisely. Because this is a question we get a lot, so if it's addressed in the sticky threads, that would be great. Especially since it's one of those questions that tends to sound antagonistic.
    LOL, I thought you guys were asking for a sticky with instructions for how to use Advance Search!

For the topic of "Why do you wear your hair up?" I'd be inclined to put it in the Important Thread Index. Sounds like time for a mega-thread merge. . .

55in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*