Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Why have long hair if it's always hidden?

Sunscreen obsessed weirdo kaydana's Avatar
    Length
    BSL/TBL/TBL
    Type
    2a/M/ii

Default Re: For women with very long hair who wear it up all the time... why?

I tend to think of it as like wearing nice underwear. You probably don't walk around outside in just your underwear, but that doesn't stop you wearing nice underwear under your outfit. Wearing nice underwear can make you feel special even if no one but you gets to see it. As a general rule, I wear my hair up when my underwear is covered, and down when my underwear is visible. There are exceptions, because wearing hair down and walking around in just underwear aren't the same thing, and I don't really care if people see my hair down (whereas I would mind everyone seeing me in my underwear), but I just don't feel like I'm dressed properly unless it's up.

Length
    zip/calf/term
    Type
    1c/M/C/ii

Because I want to.

No really.

Actually I wore it up even when it was bsl and in ponytails before that while it was growing since that was pre-LHC and I didn't know how to put it up properly. Once I learned how to use sticks and clips I never wore a pony again. I hate having hair in my face and getting caught in things or tangled. To me part of the reason for growing it out was to be able to do more with it. At knee I have a plethora of options and quite a many pretty hairtoys to mix and match with my outfits. Aside from inconvenient I personally would find having my hair down all the time to be rather boring.

From zero to hero

All posts are made as a regular member unless they are in modbold.

Length
    19/38/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

^^^ What they all said!! Having said that, I do wear my hair down for nights out (not very frequent when one has young children!) and if it's not a windy or rainy day I'll wear a half up. But as a long haired acquaintance of mine said, wearing long hair up is like having the convenience of short hair without the long term commitment! I like the versatility of being able to change the way I look so dramatically - just by manipulating my hair! Plus, sometimes it doesn't have to be down to impress people with the length - I've had surprised comments on a French braid before - the commenter obviously realised that my hair had to be decently long to make a good length braid! It's quite satisfying, I think. Good question, though.

Length
    12"/65"/60"
    Type
    1a/F/i/ii

I'm with Chromis - I love having long hair because it is MUCH easier to put up! Plus you can wear it in a ton of different ways!

I got asked this in real life, and I was puzzled... I don't think you have to have your hair down if it's long. Now that it's finally down to tailbone I can do some really cool braids. I'm looking forward to tomorrow (Christmas) because I'm going to make a fancy updo with it. I think I'll put an accent rope braid on top of a braided bun... and let's face it, you can't do that so easily with a pixie cut.

Length
    19/38/Term
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Amapola View Post
    I'm with Chromis - I love having long hair because it is MUCH easier to put up! Plus you can wear it in a ton of different ways!

I got asked this in real life, and I was puzzled... I don't think you have to have your hair down if it's long. Now that it's finally down to tailbone I can do some really cool braids. I'm looking forward to tomorrow (Christmas) because I'm going to make a fancy updo with it. I think I'll put an accent rope braid on top of a braided bun... and let's face it, you can't do that so easily with a pixie cut.
    YES!! Funny you should say that, I've just been watching a tutorial on Youtube on Bebexo's channel, there's a pretty half up I might do for tomorrow - now am I allowed to post links yet, let's try: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwvhO...ICh87A&index=2

Length
    13-15/29/32-40
    Type
    1c/2a/C/iii

I only wear it down for special occasions, or if the weather is right. Literally--I have 1c/2a hair, and it will frizz the heck up if I try to wear it down during humidity, rain, or general moist-ness. And even when my hair wasn't waist-length, it was even WORSE trying to wear it down because my hair's so thick and unruly that it gets EVERYWHERE.

I tend to compromise with half-ups whenever I want my hair down, but at least a little contained.
    Length: Hip-length waves (May 2014) || Optional: TBL - Classic

Lady Ursa, Daughter of the Sea, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights.

Long tea-time for hair neko_kawaii's Avatar
    Thats the temperature - not the speed limit.
    Length
    12 in/58.5/term
    Type
    2a/F/ii

My hair is long because I am lazy and dislike having hair in my face. Hair is almost always up and out of the way.

58.5 in, 2a, F, ii (3 in)
    Lady Kawaii-In-The-Garden the Terminally Curious of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Mod hat off. Mod hat on. Don't make me wear the mod hat, it messes up my hair. *grin*

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by WoolSweater View Post
    Hello,

I have a question. I'm very curious about it, and would love to hear different people's opinions. Also in my title I said women, but men of course can comment. I just rarely see men wearing buns and hair clips.

What I'm wanting to know is, why do you not wear your hair down? You spend many years growing it long, but then always have it up so no one can see the length. I'm not meaning this question as an insult at all, I am very curious why! I see a lot of postings with women who do not wear their long hair down. I understand this is in part due to protecting it, but don't you ever want to leave your hair down? Sometimes I wonder why knee length + is desired if never worn down. Again, I'm not upset or meaning to insult anyone, just interested! I guess in my mind, I'd always want it down if I had long, gorgeous hair. ;D But I've also read that some women, as well as leaving it up during the day, don't even have it down for the night! Seems the only time it is left down is for a shower, or a length shot. Now I always wear mine up, but that is because it's at an awkward length and not so healthy looking. I dream about the day I can proudly wear it down. And I also understand wearing it up at work, or with children, etc. But besides that, why? Thanks for reading!
    One word: tangles! Some strands of my hair are at knee and if I left my hair down it would tangle like nobody's business. Untangling that length tries my patience. While it is true that I waited a long time to reach my goal of knee, I've always been very careful to keep tangles at bay. Wearing it up works for me!!! It is braided every day and still looks nice.

I know flowing long hair is a beautiful sight...and I've seen many beautiful heads here and in real life. But for me it just doesn't work. There are too many obstacles out there in the world and if I can avoid them by keeping my hair up, all the better. Even when I was younger I very rarely wore it down...for one thing it was very, very thick and wearing it down was like wearing a horse blanket...and in spite of hair bands it never stayed in place. Constantly falling forward, getting in the way, getting stuck on things...a royal pain. Detangling was not fun...and besides, although I was very careful when detangling, there were broken hairs to deal with. Not worth it to me to keep it down.

Length
    waist/44/44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

I wore my hair down every day right up until waist. I still wear it down every so often or I wear a high pony, but past TB or so it starts catching on EVERYTHING. It also tangles if you so much as look at it funny. At fingertip, even in braid I kept dragging it on the ground when I would bend over, or sitting or kneeling on it. I had pretty much stopped wearing it loose at all. I went back to classic and am having fun wearing it down again.
    My routine has changed since starting to use Rogaine regularly to try to regain some thickness. I still cleanse every other day, but I use T/Sal shampoo, followed by my beloved Suave Wild Cherry conditioner. A vinegar rinse and catnip leave in follow.

Length
    2"/Calf/evs
    Type
    1c/M/iii

I haven't worn my hair down since it was long enough to put up. My hair needs to be out of my way. It drives me bonkers if it's in my face or in my way. Now, at mid-thigh length, it's just impractical to wear it down. As others have mentioned, it gets into everything and it tangles fiercely. It's literally been years since I've worn it down....since 2008, I think!
    Islandgrrl - Izzie
    Calf length, heading south to lengths unknown.