Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OSCO method

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Default OSCO method

On a friendly suggestion from another LHC thread, I decided to post the method of washing I've had best results with and decided to stick with after experimenting with CWC, LOC, herbs, soaps + acidic rinses, clays and some other hair-friendly approaches.

I call it OSCO: Oil + Shampoo + Conditioner + Oil
    1) Oil: heavy pre-poo oiling overnight or longer on dry hair.
    Preferred oils: coconut, avocado, olive, palm. Coconut oil is proven to penetrate hair shaft, other oils I've listed are likely to penetrate hair due to their fatty acid composition (palmitic acid, oleic acid).
    The reasoning behind pre-poo oiling is that oil penetrates hair, thus reducing its porosity, increasing elasticity, preventing too much keratin loss and damage from harsh cleansing and hydral fatigue. Oils reduce the water uptake by hair. This effect is even pronounced on chemically treated, damaged and porous hair.
    This post (http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/...er-or-oil.html) very well explains the reasons why oil is better than conditioner as a pre-poo, and that's why I prefer OSCO to CWC.

2) Shampoo: diluted, sometimes applied twice depending on how dirty hair is.

3) Conditioner / Masque: diluted, because it significantly helps spreading all over hair and adsorption. I like to use a soak, drenching hair in a bowl of conditioner + water. I often use SMT or conditioners rich in proteins and other humectants, as this is the "wet" stage.

3) Oil: sealing, light oil like mineral oil or grapeseed oil. Just a few drops. This works better at sealing moisture for me than most leave-ins that tend to dry.

What are your thoughts, guys? Anybody else does this or would like to experiment with this?

Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

Default Re: OSCO method

*Love* that you decided to share this method, meteor! I mostly use oil (mineral) in my styling method (or a serum), but I can't use oils as "masques" or deep treatments. Always afraid the drain is going to get clogged.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

Length
    16/30/50
    Type
    1b/F/i

I've tried this, it does make my ends very soft. Thanks

Length
    shldr/shldr/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I do something quite similar but I haven't tried diluting my shampoo and/or conditioner. Is there a particular ratio in diluting or do you just go with a flow? I'm slowly coming over my fear of mineral oil (it clogged my pores pretty badly when I used it for months to take off my mascara). I might try that too because I have some samples of Johnson's baby oil. And I know my current leave-in (Redken Anti-Snap) has some mineral oil in it and I haven't had any problems.

Thanks for posting!
    From shoulder length to almost classic. Cut my hair back to shoulder length in Aug 2018. Growing again

Length
    SHLDR/TBL+/CLSC?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I do this! Most days I miss out the 'S' and just co-wash (+ honey), once a week or so it's the full routine with shampoo though I use coconut oil as my pre-wash and avocado oil and vit. e oil as my post wash oils. With the weather being so poopy right now I'm layering a tiny bit of shea butter over the top of my oils as well, great results so far.
    No trims in 2014! 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12!
    Hip (34")
    --> BCL (36") --> TBL (~38") --> Dreaming of Classic (42") --> Mid thigh?! (~46"?)

Length
    SL/CBL/HL
    Type
    3a/3b/M/C/ii/iii

Thank you. I've been using coconut lightly to seal lately and my hair is soaking it up.
    Lady Rhiannon, Grand OverSeer of Mischief and Mayhem, keeper of The Wizard, of the Order of the Long Haired Knights
    Chopped it all off, grew out henna, and having fun starting over.

Length
    ~Wst/TBL/~Cls
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

Me, me, me!

My routine is very similar to this. I heavily oil the length with EVOO the night before, let it marinate in sleep braid, shampoo out in the morning with slightly diluted shampoo (stick palm under shower head), then condition/smt. The conditioner, it's a watery V05, so I don't dilute it. Once the ends are damp, I put a dab of EVOO on them. My hair absolutely hates coconut oil and gets crispy feeling if I put it on wet or damp hair - dry, it loves it.

The sealing oil - are you applying to your length or just the ends?
    Wavy, wurly, sometimes curly; on my way to healthier, longer hair!

~Waist → Hip BCL TBL Goal: TBL+ V hem

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

Haha, this is exactly the routine I've settled on this year, glad it has an acronym to go with it now! I don't dilute my shampoo or conditioner, but all in all, the pre-wash oiling, shampoo, conditioner (often an SMT), and a sealing oil is pretty much my routine, down pat.

Length
    18/31.5/tlb
    Type
    1c/2a/M/ii

I do this most of the time. But I don't dilute conditioner. When I'm in a hurry, I replace it with CWC.

Length
    Buzz/Shldr/Long
    Type
    1b/F/ii

this would probably make my hair a greaseball. I just use diluted shampoo on my scalp, use a cheap light condish [vo5] all over my hair and then apply some coconut oil to the ends when i'm done
    Finally shoulder length!! Collarbone length when stretched to the max...
    Solid CBL by Spring 2021?? APL by New Years 2022?? Goal is classic+
    Hair Instagram // Art Blog on WordPress