Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dry ends, dull hair

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

Exclamation Dry ends, dull hair

Lately I can't figure out what to do with my hair to make it nice and healthy looking. I gave up sulfates shampoos a long time ago, but just recently started using a cone free conditioner and cut out my beloved morraccan oil because of the cones in it. Is there like a transisition period with cutting out cones or something? My ends are awful awful dry and the rest of my hair just looks dull and not shiny smooth anymore. Yes I tried clarifying (maybe the shampoo I bought for clarifying sucked?).i don't know what to do I just want my nice hair back

Length
    Ear/shldr/Waist
    Type
    2a/M/C/ii

Default Re: Dry ends, dull hair

Maybe your hair does better with cones. Maybe you need to try a moisturizing treatment like SMT. Maybe you need to start using oil to seal the moisture into your hair, now that you are not using cones. Just some suggestions.
    Reached BSL November 2013!
    Goal: tailbone

Type
    1a/1b/F/M/i/ii

I've been thinking of doing an SMT I just can't seem to find 100% aloe

Length
    BSL/Calf/Term?
    Type
    2a/2b/M/C/iii

Well, if you cut out cones, you need to introduce something else to help condition your ends. Have you tried pre-poo oilings with a penetrating oil, like coconut?

As for not having 100% aloe, why not do a modified SMT that many of us had success with: conditioner + honey + oil, and/or something acidic like vinegar, yogurt?

If you deep condition your ends, you should start seeing results pretty quickly.
    To select your conditioner wisely, check out this article on proven penetrating conditioning ingredients: http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/...dients-in.html

Length
    ~Wst/TBL/~Cls
    Type
    2c/3a/M/ii/iii

You might try adding a little baking soda to your shampoo to clarify (and a vinegar rinse). I normally shampoo with sulfates so I use baking soda when my hair feels like it needs some extra oomph to get rid of build up. Baking soda can be quite drying so be sure to condition twice or do a SMT afterwards.
    Wavy, wurly, sometimes curly; on my way to healthier, longer hair!

~Waist → Hip BCL TBL Goal: TBL+ V hem

Length
    18/29,5/33
    Type
    1b/M/ii

did you clarify your ends after giving up the moroccan oil...? maybe there is still some coney buildup?

SSSLLL - AAAPPPLLL - SSSBBBLLL - MMMBBBLLL - WWWLLL

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Most if not all of the aloe vera on the market will have some stabilizers in the formula. Fruit of the Earth is a popular brand that gives good results.

Length
    shldr/shldr/?
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Your hair type seems to be quite similar to mine... I've tried a 1000 times to go cone free (I thought I had to) but I've come to accept it just doesn't work. Hope you find a solution but there's nothing wrong going back to cones if your hair needs them!
    From shoulder length to almost classic. Cut my hair back to shoulder length in Aug 2018. Growing again

Account Closed by Member Request
    Length
    SL/BSL/BSL/W
    Type
    2a/F/i

When I first gave up cones my ends were like straw. I just stuck with my wash method (at the time it was cwc) and I think I used a little oil and after a few weeks my hair felt marvellous.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

I was shocked when I saw the true condition of my hair without silicones - at one time that is all I was using (spray detangler, no creamy conditioner). Took a while to grow out the hair I had damaged through dye, rough handling and with sulphate shampoo.

Chelate and clarify, then use oils and/ or leave in conditioners that contain ingredients that replicate the properties of silicones/ patch repair damage. Ingredients like the behentrimoniums and natural oils for slip, hydrolysed protein, ceramides, 18-MEA, panthenol for patch repairing and shine. As many products as possible at pH ~ 4.5 for shine and general gentleness.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out a major shed & mechanical damage to hairline. Eight years 'modified' Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but keep trimming.