Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling bad about stringy/velcro-y hair

Type
    1b/F/ii

Unhappy Feeling bad about stringy/velcro-y hair

Hello everybody!

I've been a member here for what seems like forever now, but never posted because I didn't feel like I could be helpful in any way, seeing how there are so many hair experts here. So I read and read and tried to learn from you, and it worked! I completely changed my hair routine, ditched some very bad habits and I finally came to a point where I thought I could call my hair healthy and learn to love it(or rather live with it the way it was). But then, came some pictures that made me realize that I was probably wrong :/

I rarely get pictures taken of myself, simply because I'm very shy and I don't really like that, but in every pictures I've seen, my hair looks stringy, piece-y, dry and unhealthy (it also has a clear demarcation because I'm growing out my henndigo, but that's ok). Now, I don't understand, because my hair is not partiularly dry and it's pretty soft to the touch . I do have very very fine and fragile hair with a weird texture (very wavy underneath and very straight on top), but I try to take really good care of it and follow the advices I learned from here.: I clarify on a regular basis, I nourish and moisturize it, I try to not overwash,...

I know there are similar topics right now and I'm really sorry because I don't want to bother , but everything I tried has not helped with the stringiness, and it makes me really self conscious and sad, because now I tell myself "Wow, so this is how my hair looks like to people....that's awful" It looks oily and unkept (and I don't have oily hair) and that's not a pretty sight.

I'd really appreciate any help/advice, because I want to keep growing out my hair, but if it's looking like that, I don't know if it's such a good idea after all

Here is one of the pictures I'm talking about, so that you can see what I'm talking about:
    Last edited by Anje; December 20th, 2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Trying to change width so the post displays correctly. Not sure how you ended up with the defined width.

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/BSL/waist
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Feeling bad about stringy/velcro-y hair

You don't include your routine or products so I can't advise.
    You also don't list a length goal. What you do with your hair can vary a lot depending on how long you want to grow it. For example, I wanted to grow mine out as long as it would grow, so I did very little to it other than washing and conditioning as needed. Otherwise it was braided or in a bun.

Lately I don't want it longer than waist length, so I blow-dry it after washing, which makes it look so much smoother and better kempt, plus I use hot curlers when I have a special occasion. I also wear it down a lot. So, in general, I'd say if your current routine doesn't make you happy with your hair, change it.

Type
    2a/F/i/ii

people are probably sick of hearing me suggest his but try mixing honey with conditioner (like 30/70 and alternate those as cowashes (I follow with diluted ACV rinse and then rinse that out) My hair is just like yours and I find the honey cowashes make my hair feel thicker and more together if that makes sense. Something about the fullness and softness of them makes my hair not separate into stringier pieces. Gives me more of the Pantene commercial hair that I cannot seem to get doing other things.

Do you use silicones or oils? I can think of suggestions but probably need to know your preference. I use both each has its own occasion so I have a few different routines that may work or products that work I can suggest.
    Cut hair 11.06.2013 to CBL. Patiently waiting for it to grow back strong and healthy.
    Photo taken 12.04.2013

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

My hair is like yours. I like my hair to have volume and grip. I don't like it so much when it is too slippery and slick because I feel the same way as you mention. I got a lot more body when I got rid of silicone conditioners. Too much oil can make it look stringy also so I have to watch out for that and some oils are worse than others for that. Even though I'm not a curly girl once I started using some of the suggestions in the Curly Girl Handbook I had a lot of success in pumping up my volume. The main thing is that after I wash I use aloe gel or regular gel in my hair. I do a lot of scrunching and plopping instead of combing to encourage wave and volume. When I sleep I braid it from the crown and wrap it into a bun and secure it with spin pins. This is how I usually sleep. Sometimes I wrap it on sponge rollers. When I get up I have lots of volume and waves. Every night I spritz it and re gel it and wrap it again. This is such an easy routine and gives me the wavy fluffy look I have always wanted. My avatar picture was right after I took it down in the morning. Its even curlier now since I started using the gel.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

I can likely help you,but what is your hair type? Curly, straight...etc? Length? What products do you currently use, what's your routine?
    heidi w.

By Lady Godiva
    Avatar Photo: Bruce Folck, Blue Dragon Photography. Profile Photo: LJC

Type
    1b/F/ii

Thanks a lot for the answers! (sorry, my first post is weird, there are a bunch of hidden words, I don't know what I did wrong, there)

@Spidermom: I tend to rotate between different routines, but my hair pretty much ends up looking the same. I've been trying the Mane'N'Tail for a month, to try and regain some length. After that, I use a liquid leave in that helps me detangle (phytokeratine) and another creamy one on my ends (Furterer Karite), otherwise, they get dry. Sometimes, I replace them with just a tiny bit of either organic Argan, Macadamia, or Coconut oïl.
    This summer, my hair was 80 cms long (31.5 inches) but since I hadn't cut it in a long time, I had to chop off 15 cms (6 inches). Now, it's about 72 cms (28''), so between mid back and waist, and I'd like to reach at least hip, so I decided to do microtrimms so that I wouldn't have to take a lot off at once. I think that's about it?
    Oh yeah, and I clarify with the Redken Cleansing cream, because it's the one that suits my hair the best.

@ErinLeigh: I tried cowashing for a while, and it made my hair veeery very silky, but also weighed it down and made it look even finer. I haven't tried mixing it with honey, though. How do you do it? I've seen a lot of different methods of cowashing... Do you apply it to dry or wet hair, and how long do you keep it on before rinsing?

I'm not opposed to cones, but I try to avoid them most of the time, because they tend to weigh my hair down. I say that, but at the same time, I just bought a bottle of Redken Extreme shampoo and of the Anti-Snap, both of which contain silicones... But my hair just loves proteins...

@LaurelSpring: Yes, my hair also looks better and less stringy when I braid/curl it. I used to have very curly hair when I was a little girl, very thight ringlets. I cut my hair very short and it's been mostly straight ever since, except underneath, where I have some deep S waves forming. Sometimes, in the summer or if my hair gets very dry, some ringlets come back at the ends of my hair... I don't know, maybe I should also follow the Curly Method....But do you achieve nice, not stringy hair without braiding, or does it get stringy as soon as it's straight?

Type
    1b/F/ii

@Heidi: sorry, I was writing my last post when you posted yours, so I didn't see it. But I described my routine above Oh, also, I forgot to say, but I wash my hair twice a week.

Just letting it grow ravenheather's Avatar
    Length
    16/29/Term
    Type
    2a/2b/F/ii

I wonder if your leave in is the problem, either to much of it or the wrong type for your hair. I use just the tiniest bit of nightblooming's panacea and just on the ends.

Renegray, going for terminal.
    Lost in the midback abyss.
    ALMOST waist stretched!

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Nahema View Post
    Thanks a lot for the answers! (sorry, my first post is weird, there are a bunch of hidden words, I don't know what I did wrong, there)

@LaurelSpring: Yes, my hair also looks better and less stringy when I braid/curl it. I used to have very curly hair when I was a little girl, very thight ringlets. I cut my hair very short and it's been mostly straight ever since, except underneath, where I have some deep S waves forming. Sometimes, in the summer or if my hair gets very dry, some ringlets come back at the ends of my hair... I don't know, maybe I should also follow the Curly Method....But do you achieve nice, not stringy hair without braiding, or does it get stringy as soon as it's straight?
    I feel like my hair does get stringy as soon as its straight. I have been really trying to encourage the waves and curls. I am much happier with it this way. I love whipping it up in a messy bun and I have little ringlets that make me so happy now. That was never possible before.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    Shldr/Hip/Happy
    Type
    2c/F/ii

You talk about what you think your hair looks like in pictures but pictures can be very decieving. What does it look like to you in real life? My own hair can look flat and- now when I think about it- stringy in photos as well but in real life its fine, so I choose to believe that instead of a 2D picture that only captures me and my hair in a moment, the split of a second. Think about other people (no, not the perfectly taken lenght shots on here ) and their hair in all of their pictures. Do they look the same irl? Does it never look "bad" without actually being bad irl?

For what its worth: I think your hair looks absolutly lovely in the picture and the words "dry", "stringy" and "unhealthy" does not cross my mind when I look at the photo- it just looks like normal, perfectly fine hair!