Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: nighttime hairstyles?

Length
    16 in/34 in/40 in
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Default nighttime hairstyles?

Hello all, i'm looking for some protective nighttime hairstyles. I'm working on growing out layers, so a lot of the styles i've tried, I end up with ends sticking out left and right, which isn't really beneficial to protecting them. I've pretty much stuck to a high cinnabun, to get all of it up and off the pillow while I sleep. Occasionally I switch it up and do two high cinnabuns. I know a lot of women do braided pigtails, but how does that help if I sleep on my sides?

Basically, any and all tips on keeping my hair protected during the night is welcome. Any advice on oiling the ends is also helpful, because i'm considering oiling a bit at night before I put it up.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Default Re: nighttime hairstyles?

Braiding hair in pigtails at night helps a lot because it keeps your hair confined and thus tangle free.

If you want to protect your ends but have trouble with them sticking out, perhaps you might want to put your hair in a satin sleep cap..or a snood.

Length
    16 in/34 in/40 in
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

A snood? What is this contraption you speak of?

Type
    2b/M/iii

Snood link:
    http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...&fr=att-portal

Snoods can be crocheted or made of fabric and go way back in history. Were fashionable during Civil War Era (think Gone with the Wind) and were popular during the 40s as a way to keep hair out of machinery during WW2.
    Last edited by Madora; December 9th, 2013 at 07:33 PM.

Length
    16 in/34 in/40 in
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

Hmm maybe I should make one of those. I have some yarn leftover from a blanket project. I wanted to use silk scarves, but all I have on hand is cotton scarves which I doubt would be very helpful.

Length
    Pixie/Class/???
    Type
    2a/M/ii/iii

My favorite is a low, loose beebutt bun held with a scrunchie. Super comfortable and fast. I have layers and they don't stick out if I do it right. If that doesn't work, you could just skip the 'do and wear a satin cap.

Pixie BSLMBL WL HL BCL TBL CL??????????
    semi-hiatus, computer is broken

Length
    Chin/TBL/44+
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii

If I'm not setting a style in some way overnight (rollers, wrap etc under a silk scarf) then my favourite is a high loose cinnamon bun too, I team it with a silk pillowcase so that there's minimal rubbing. A sleep cap or scarf would help with the layers escaping, since they wouldn't be able to escape too far
    Last edited by Ambystoma; December 9th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
    <--Growing wavy virgin TBL hair, with long compact cut layers to Classic. 2b/M/C/ii low porosity.

Length
    16 in/34 in/40 in
    Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii/iii

I just despise sleeping in a sleep cap lol i'll look into getting a silk pillowcase because the cap is soo not a long term option for me.

Type
    1a/F/ii

A French braid may help with keeping some of the layers incorporated and thus protected. I would definitely second the silk pillowcase for babying the persistent escapees and your hair in general.

I almost always sleep in a braid, but that is more to prevent tangles, like Madora said. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread myself, because I'm kind of tired of having braid waves all the time!

Length
    MBL/to/HIP
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I alternate between twin braids or the beebutt bun held with satin scrunchies. I get really hot at night so a sleep cap is not an option.

Life's short...Buy the hair toy...