Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What a let down. Hair extension related.

Default What a let down. Hair extension related.

So, I was watching a show that hubby and I really like yesterday. There is a girl on there, that I have always really admired her hair.
    Well last night I realized that she more than likely (I'm about 90% sure) has hair extentions.
    Ever since I realized it, I have been so let down.
    Then I googled and turns out a lot of people use them. Now I am feeling let down, and wondering who really has nice long hair and who's is fake. Makes me wonder who else's long hair I have been admiring, and it is actually fake too.
    I realize this in no way truly affects me, but I wonder how much it skews my perception of healthy long hair.
    Does that make sense?

Length
    0"/41"/40"
    Type
    2b/2c/M/ii/iii

Default Re: What a let down. Hair extention related.

It does to me. I quit admiring famous people's hair a long time ago. These days I admire hair here on the forums!
    Lady of the Lake

Length
    12/20/26
    Type
    1a/F/i

Yup, I completely understand where you're coming from. It's like admiring a model or actress/actor for being gorgeous and then finding out it's all photoshop.

I remember seeing a photo of Natalie Dormer as Anne Boleyn in The Tudors, her dark brown curly hair was the most gorgeous thing I'd ever seen. That was my dream! I began growing my hair long and dyeing it dark brown/ black. Then one day I found out it was ALL extensions...her actual hair was about shoulder length. It sort of made me feel like "wow, I'm chasing after something that doesn't even exist."

Length
    MB/WL/WL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirllong View Post
    It does to me. I quit admiring famous people's hair a long time ago. These days I admire hair here on the forums!
    Yes, the hair here is absurd. I'm in love with so many heads of hair its silly!

Type
    2b/M/iii

I can understand the let down feeling but consider this: it probably cost them plenty to have those extensions put in and what kind of shape was their hair after those extensions were taken out?

Length
    24 in/48in/term
    Type
    1b/F/i

I think that what you describe is rather healthy. Facing reality is a good thing. You don't have to chase the illusion anymore and spend untold hundreds of dollars on "hair care" products. I taught my daughters to check the film editing of movies and television. You don't see that what goes on between edits is makeup and hairstylists descending on the stars and fixing every hair that might have been moved out of place. Nobody looks that perfect in real life, with real hair.

Well, you know that famous people just can't treat their hair as they should. Most stylists may even be their hair's worst enemy just because they are sort of obliged to follow the fashion trends and it seems that really long hair isn't always in. I bet at least 70% of the Hollywood "Rapunzels" are fake.

Length
    17/45/40
    Type
    1c/2a/M/C/ii/iii

It definitely makes sense! I can't even begin to count the number of times I'll see another woman with beautiful long hair only to discover they're hair extensions...it's a definite let-down. I just had an incident about one month ago (before I started wearing my hair up whenever I left the house) where someone complimented me on my hair extensions and I had to burst their bubble by saying, "No, this is my real hair." Then, they proceeded to argue with me that real hair can't possibly be that long.

I think people with hair extensions have definitely ruined the image of natural long hair because most women now don't have the patience to let their hair grow out. Why take the effort if they can just buy it?

Length
    Chin/Hip/Class
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I remember getting a little pouty when I realized Lana del Rey's hair was extensions. I don't know why, I knew for years that most celebrities use extensions if they're shown with long hair, but somehow I had it in my head that she was "cooler" than that. Ah well. It makes sense though. Between cutting and coloring for different roles, endorsements and events, most long hair can't really take the styling abuse, so off it goes, and in comes the extensions.

For me, an even bigger unrealistic hair expectation that Hollywood creates is that hair is always neat and in place. So when people see fluffed out ends, or hair that's been a little windblown, the conclusion is that her hair is a disaster. Seriously? People go outside and move around, this is not shocking.

Type
    2b/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by HintOfMint View Post
    For me, an even bigger unrealistic hair expectation that Hollywood creates is that hair is always neat and in place. So when people see fluffed out ends, or hair that's been a little windblown, the conclusion is that her hair is a disaster. Seriously? People go outside and move around, this is not shocking.
    I couldn't agree more, HintOfMint! The sad thing is too many impressionable folk think that their hair is imperfect if it doesn't match the Hollywood standard...picture perfect, sleek, shiny, every.single.hair.in.place. But there's an army of stylists behind that illusion...plus God knows what has been sprayed on their hair.