Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aloe Vera powder in a henna mix?

Length
    3"/BSL/Hip
    Type
    3b/3c/M/iii

Default Re: Aloe Vera powder in a henna mix?

Has anyone had luck using aloe vera powder (mixed with hot distilled water perhaps) in conditioning treatments like SMT? If so, do you get the same benefits as using store bought aloe vera gel? (I assume nothing is as good as fresh gel from an aloe vera plant).
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | | MBL | WL | Hip
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL++ | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Growing Out Natural 3C Curls. Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017

Length
    CBL/APL/FTL
    Type
    1c/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by BerrySara View Post
    Has anyone had luck using aloe vera powder (mixed with hot distilled water perhaps) in conditioning treatments like SMT? If so, do you get the same benefits as using store bought aloe vera gel? (I assume nothing is as good as fresh gel from an aloe vera plant).
    I've tried the powder before. Results were really comparable to the gel. The powder just seems a bit trickier to rinse out. I prefer to use the aloe vera juice due to the water-like consistency, though. Hard to go wrong with aloe!
    ~Bleach-free from April 2018~*~No trimming until waist~

Length
    3"/BSL/Hip
    Type
    3b/3c/M/iii

Quote Originally Posted by AshtangiPNW View Post
    I've tried the powder before. Results were really comparable to the gel. The powder just seems a bit trickier to rinse out. I prefer to use the aloe vera juice due to the water-like consistency, though. Hard to go wrong with aloe!
    Awesome, thank you for your reply AshtangiPNW
    Stretched: Chin | SL | CBL | APL | BSL | | MBL | WL | Hip
    Unstretched: Chin | SL | CBL++ | APL | | BSL | MBL | WL
    Growing Out Natural 3C Curls. Last Straightening Treatment Feb 2017

I have a aloe vera gel at home. Can I put in my henna-cassia mix? Is it as good as the powder?

Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgaris View Post
    I have a aloe vera gel at home. Can I put in my henna-cassia mix? Is it as good as the powder?
    I would assume so, although it depends if it is pure aloe or has any other additives.

Length
    APL/TBL/term
    Type
    2b/2c/M/iii

My MIL puts aloe vera gel in her henna mix, it came out pretty good. She uses the aloe directly from the plant btw

Quote Originally Posted by katr View Post
    I would assume so, although it depends if it is pure aloe or has any other additives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arciela View Post
    My MIL puts aloe vera gel in her henna mix, it came out pretty good. She uses the aloe directly from the plant btw
    I have this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Urtekram-Al.../dp/B01BUG51V0 It's organic but does have other ingredients in it.

Here is the INCI: Aloe barbadensis leaf extract*, glycerine**, xanthan gum, acacia senegal gum, sodium hydroxide, citric acid, hyaluronate, hexapeptide-11, citrus aurantium dulcis peel oil*, limonene, parfum. (* = ingredient from Organic Farming, ** = made using organic ingredients).

Type
    2b/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Vulgaris View Post
    I have this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Urtekram-Al.../dp/B01BUG51V0 It's organic but does have other ingredients in it.

Here is the INCI: Aloe barbadensis leaf extract*, glycerine**, xanthan gum, acacia senegal gum, sodium hydroxide, citric acid, hyaluronate, hexapeptide-11, citrus aurantium dulcis peel oil*, limonene, parfum. (* = ingredient from Organic Farming, ** = made using organic ingredients).
    I looked up all those ingredients for you:

Aloe is good obviously. Glycerine is fine, and is a humectant which will help your hair retain moisture. Xanthan gum is good and is there to bind the gel.
    Acacia Senegal gum can be a little drying to hair but otherwise ok. Sodium hydroxide would have been added to adjust the pH, so it's fine.
    Citric acid is also to adjust the pH, and it has vitamins and minerals that help hair growth.
    Hyaluronate has moisturizing properties good for skin and hair. Hexapeptide-11 is an amino acid that can help with skin elasticity and is has anti-aging properties.
    Citrus aurantium dulcis peel oil is an essential oil used for fragrance and is ok for hair. Limonene is another essential oil probably for fragrance but has anti-inflammatory properties too.
    Parfum this doesn't disclose exactly what it is, but as it is last on the list is should be low enough in concentration to be fine. Maybe avoid if you are very sensitive to artificial fragrances.

All in all, I think this aloe gel is ok to use for your hair. I would definitely recommend doing a strand test first just in case though!

Type
    1b/F/ii

I used 1/3 aloe for my recent henna gloss. It didn't seem to affect the color. It also left my hair in the best condition ever, with none of the dryness and stiffness of my first henna gloss. I'll try to get a picture up in the next day or so.

Quote Originally Posted by katr View Post
    I looked up all those ingredients for you:

Aloe is good obviously. Glycerine is fine, and is a humectant which will help your hair retain moisture. Xanthan gum is good and is there to bind the gel.
    Acacia Senegal gum can be a little drying to hair but otherwise ok. Sodium hydroxide would have been added to adjust the pH, so it's fine.
    Citric acid is also to adjust the pH, and it has vitamins and minerals that help hair growth.
    Hyaluronate has moisturizing properties good for skin and hair. Hexapeptide-11 is an amino acid that can help with skin elasticity and is has anti-aging properties.
    Citrus aurantium dulcis peel oil is an essential oil used for fragrance and is ok for hair. Limonene is another essential oil probably for fragrance but has anti-inflammatory properties too.
    Parfum this doesn't disclose exactly what it is, but as it is last on the list is should be low enough in concentration to be fine. Maybe avoid if you are very sensitive to artificial fragrances.

All in all, I think this aloe gel is ok to use for your hair. I would definitely recommend doing a strand test first just in case though!
    Thank you so much for very informative response katr! I really appreciate this.