Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Protein

Length
    cbl/hip/Knee
    Type
    1b/1c/M/iii

Default Protein

Hi all! I have a question that needs to answered. I've heard from various youtubers that protein treatments are essential to retaining length. I used to do egg treatments about once a month and used to henna (will stop because of monster sheds) and it never really did much. My hair was stronger for a little bit but otherwise, nothing. I'm a wavy and cut out most of my split with s and d. I also do a weekly coconut oil deep condition and use coconut oil as a curl definer/leave in. Do I actually need protein or is that all bs?

Friend of the Semicolon florenonite's Avatar
    Length
    SL/MBL/Hip
    Type
    2a/F/iii

Default Re: Protein

I don't think it's necessary. I've never, in my life, done a protein treatment, and have never felt the need to.

That's not to say they're not beneficial, but that it depends on individual hair needs. If your hair needs protein, give it protein; if it doesn't, don't.
    Lady Nehalennia of the Mirrored-Seas in the Order of the Long-Haired Knights

SL / APL / SBL / MBL / WL / HIP / BCL / TB

Once and Future Long-Hair XcaliburGirl's Avatar
    Length
    23/27.5/CL 44
    Type
    2b/M/C/ii/iii

I think it definitely depends on the hair characteristics. If protein didn't seem to make a difference, then you probably don't need it.

On the other hand, if you find your hair is breaking a lot but doesn't need moisture, then give it a try again.

I don't do protein treatments, but my hair seems to do well with a little protein in my conditioner.
    I want to finally get back to Classic. Growing again starting March 2018.

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

The think protein treatments are most needed for damaged hair to fill in the "holes" in the hair strands.
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Length
    24/32.25/Dunno
    Type
    1c/2a/F/M/ii

I don't think protein is for damaged hair exclusively. It's just some people's hair is more responsive to protein and others are not; just like some oils work great for some, but don't work at all for others. My hair is not damaged and has ALWAYS loved protein. Twice a month and sometimes more, I use reconstructors with protein in them. I don't do all protein treatments per se, but my hair does love to have its share of protein. With protein, it does seem to be a trial and wait and see kind of thing.
    DweamGoiL

1c - 2a / f - m / ii | current length = 32.25 inches - working for a thick blunt hemline

Mediocre Clarinet Player ExpectoPatronum's Avatar
    Length
    APL/WST/CLSC
    Type
    2c/M/ii/iii

My hair hates protein. Even a little bit in shampoo and conditioner is enough to make my hair feel like straw. As everyone says, it depends on an individual's hair. Some love protein, some don't.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.TB.CLSC
    Lady Andromeda, Keeper of Feathered Fauna, in the Order of the Long Haired Knights

Length
    12/32/35
    Type
    2b/F/ii

Do you condition after the protein treatments? I've read that you need to do that.
    Started growing at 42. Always admired and wanted long hair. Thrilled to find waves!!!

2b-F-ii

Length
    MB/WL/WL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

I'm doing a protein treatment today -- I usually follow with an SMT since they do dry hair out. My hair ends up feeling amazing. It feels more substantial somehow. I like them, but I've only started doing them recently so I don't know how they work long term.

Length
    16/28/34
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/i/ii

My hair likes certain proteins but a few weeks ago I used ORS hair mayo because my hair was getting kind of spongey and stretchy like it was over moisturised so I tried to balance it with some protein. Anyway my hair was gross afterwards, kind of sticky and stiff at the same time. I rinse my hair for a while after I wash so it's not that I didn't rinse it out properly, it just didn't agree with me!

Waist- aiming for tailbone

Length
    APL/APL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

Protein treatments certainly aren't essential to retaining length for everyone. Although healthy hair can benefit from protein, I think it's more important for people with damage. And since Youtubers (not all of them) tend to do more damaging things to their hair than LHCers, protein may be more important for them. I've never done a protein treatment, but I sometimes use a regular conditioner that has protein in it. I've never actual felt that my hair needed protein though. Saying that protein treatments are essential is too generalized. You have to see what works for you.