Thread: Promise not to cut hair- for one year!

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Default Promise not to cut hair- for one year!

My mom and I both have the same fine hair, only hers is much wavier than mine (she's maybe a 2c). Unfortunately, the way her hair falls, it looks much better short, but she keeps it longer because my dad likes it that way. However, she is desperate to cut it, so we made a pledge that if I don't cut my hair for a whole year (barring bang trims and S&D), then she is free to do with hers whatever she likes.

So now that I am not going to cut my hair until August 2009, I am interested to see the growth pattern. I have not cut my hair (beyond one 1/2 inch trim in July) since February of this year. My hair has changed considerably- the layers have evened out, and I've gained 1 1/2 inches overall growth. Today... I was able to do a full French braid (without any layers falling out!) and tuck it under!

Have any of you seen considerable growth once you have pledged to grow? I know we have had a reasons for growing thread before, but I am interested to know if it was when a firm committment was made that the growth really started
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Default Re: Promise not to cut hair- for one year!

Last edited by wintersun99; February 19th, 2010 at 10:54 PM.

Longhaired Intellectual Periwinkle's Avatar
    Length
    ~APL+/waist/TB+
    Type
    2a/2b/M/iii

I've noticed a lot more growth since joining LHC, even though I trimmed, but I'm attributing that to watching for growth more. My hair has gained 2 or 3 inches when pulled straight, but as my hair gets longer, it gets wavier, so the change is hidden. If I weren't watching for growth, I wouldn't have noticed it.

September 2013 - waist length (though not on its best day!)
    Back to the LHC regime, let's finally get past waist length!
    ~ Lady Tyche of the Blessed Fortune in the Order of the Long Haired Knights ~

Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

I am so frustrated with loosing length at the salon that I have made a modified version of this promise to myself. At first I said never again but that was a bit unrealistic I think. I think a year would be a more realistic goal. I have been BSL forever now and I need to get some growth!

My modified promise is no salon trims and basically no trim trims, just S&D and only dusting my tassle if absolutely necessary for any splits ( I guess this could be considered S&D also). The last time I tried Freys Self Trim I botched it and lost about another 1/2 inch trying to get it even so I cant seem to get the hang of that.

So count me in for August 09. Its in writing now.
    All Shall Be Well,
    And All Shall Be Well,
    And All Manner of Things Shall Be Well.

Length
    chin/APL/?
    Type
    1c/2a/F/i/ii

Quote Originally Posted by wintersun99 View Post
    High Fives for growth!
    *high fives* back!

I actually have a picture of my folded french braid in my album but it's a bit blurry. Still, it sure is purty
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts.
    Study hard. Be evil.

Length
    pixie/meh/Meh
    Type
    1b/1c/F/ii

I'm going to hop on this one too. I'm done trying to chop out the henna, and just can't stand to part with any more hair - so, no more cutting for a year. As of today, I'm officially back to actively (as much as its possible to be active with this) growing my hair out long again.

Length
    buzz/ear/apl
    Type
    1c/F/ii

I joined the no trimming challenge back in January and I haven't cut my hair since, and I'm not going to cut until next January.

I've gone from chin length to 2 inches shy of APL since January so yes, I've noticed growth. My ends are tapered and quite thin but since I've promised to wear it up until the end of the year also, it's not that bad.

I used to cut my hair about an inch every two months or so, so this time around it seems like my hair is growing wicked fast, and I'm sure that the gentle care and frequent oilings are helping me keep the length I've gained too.

I think as long as you take very good care of your hair and don't mind fairytale ends you can go quite some time without trimming.
    "Equations are the devil's sentences!" ~ Stephen Colbert