Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Luxury hair care thread!

Length
    20"/22.5"/Waist
    Type
    1a/1b/F/i/ii

Default Luxury hair care thread!

Alright ladies and gents--
    i've been lurking here long enough to understand you can truly pamper hair without spending an arm and a leg (SMT moisture treatment, I'm looking at you ) but what about those with an urge to splurge?

What are your favourite high end products?

If you had excess money to spend on any luxury brand, etc, what would it be?

And what is your opinion on them vs drugstore brands/homemade things?

personally I'm a Kerastase fiend -- I know they're super coney but my hair loves cones and being so fine and fragile I never seem to have an issue with build up.

i alternate between the Kerastase Nutritive and Resistance ranges,
    every couple of washes put on Ciment Thermique and lightly apply heat (the only time I ever apply heat to my hair is to activate the ciment thermique) in between washes ill use the Chroma Riche gentle sls free cleanser (it's 1/4 cleanser and 3/4 conditioner, my hair loves it if it's not too dirty otherwise it just ends up greasier)

I admittedly put some manuka honey into their masques for the added softness it gives me.
    and their Initialiste scalp serum have me tons of baby hairs and stronger growth however I'm currently experimenting with more natural and hopefully cheaper alternatives that will give me the same result.

I've used garner fructis and cheaper brands before but have never gotten results as good as I get from Kerastase.

anyone else agree/disagree? Share your experiences!

xx

Length
    MBL/to/HIP
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default Re: Luxury hair care thread!

Bumble and Bumble. Love the shine I get with it, not surprising with all it's cones. If I was still heat styling my hair I'd use their line exclusively. Nothing worked as well as bumble when I was heat styling my hair. Unfortually the cones weigh down my hair and the glycerin in it causes major poof that can only be tamed with heat.

I'll splurge on the hair and skin care stuff if it works for me. It's an investment of sorts. If I take good care of my skin and hair now it will look better for it 10-20 years from now. And since I'm not a label shopping kind of girl when it comes to clothes and other things any excessive cost spent on my hair is often over looked by the spouse. That said, I love finding a cheap and simple way of pampering my hair. Like $10 for a jar of coconut oil that will last me at least a year.

Any one try AG cosmetics line? I've been wanting to try their fast food line..
    Last edited by sourgrl; November 8th, 2013 at 01:38 PM.

Length
    Pixie/Waist/35"?
    Type
    1b/F/i/ii

Pantene Ice Shine is my hair's dirty little secret... I haven't used it in like a year though I have way too many bottles of conditioners to use up
    All through my teens I used expensive hair products and I thought the more you spent the better quality you get. I was completely wrong and would never even dream of buying salon products again. A v05 conditioner, sls free shampoo, clarifying shampoo, and a variety of cone and non cone conditioners is more than I need and I probably spend less on all of that than I did on a pair of expensive s&c. One of the best things I learned here is to not let the media/society brain wash you about your hair.
    _1b / F / i/ii__... Forever Growing _
    Chin SHL APL BSL Waist Hip BCL

Type
    1c/M/C/ii/iii

Burts Bees isn't "high end" per se, but it is quite expensive, and the one thing I miss about the states is the wide range of products. Here in the UK they only sell their stuff in Holland and Barrett (aka overpriced health nut store) and it's not much beyond the lip balm (though I do love the lip balm and it is what inroduced me to the brand )
    BSL~Waist~Hip~TBL~Classic

Type
    3a/3b/F/iii

I can't think of any high-end salon products I've particularly liked. I do like Curl Junkie products; those are about $20 a bottle, which I wouldn't exactly call luxury items, but not on the lower end of the price spectrum. But go figure, I just found out that VO5 Strawberries and Cream is an excellent leave in for my hair. In fact, it's worked so well I can get great curls without any other products. This is a big surprise, because I've used VO5 to CO wash in the past and it hasn't worked that well.

Length
    22 in/29 in/35
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

I have cheap hair. I have bought so many magic potion hair products. Expensive ones. I always go back to the cheap dollar bottles of suave shampoo and dove conditioner. This girl is done with the hocus pocus promises. My wallet will like that.

Length
    APL/APL/CL
    Type
    2b/M/ii

I don't think salon brand products are that much better. They're probably a bit better, but I still think they're over-priced. One thing about name brand products though is that you know they will be (fairly) good quality, whereas with an unknown brand it may be great or it may be a bad product. I try not to buy things that I feel are very overpriced if I could get the same thing for less, and I think there are a lot of conditioners you can get at the drug store that are just as good as salon products, so I stay away from the expensive stuff. I buy GVP Conditioning Balm at Sally's, which is a knock-off of Biolage Conditioning Balm and a whole lot cheaper.

Type
    1b/1c/M/ii

I've used salon and drug store products and so far I don't think one is any better than the other.

Aren't we in a recession?

Length
    waist/sl/none
    Type
    2c/M/C/i

The only thing I splurge on is oils. Pure argon and camellia can be quite pricey. Otherwise, my hair prefers Suave and so does my pocketbook.
    Change is the only constant.