Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Is healthy longish super fine hair even a possibility? Long post

  1. #1

    Default Is healthy longish super fine hair even a possibility? Long post

    Hi, haven't posted here for a while, more of a lurker.
    Just got back from a hair salon where I had to cut of 5-6 inches of very dead hair, and have a couple of questions for the hair gurus.
    First, let me describe my hair.
    I have very fine blonde hair. I have a lot of it, but it's baby fine and almost translucent at the ends. In the summer my hair gets trashed by the sun, it bleaches out to almost platinum blonde in the front. I had a pretty bad accident a while back when I decided to experiment with a darker colour (end result was bleach on top of darker colour, orange hair, total freak out, a short hair cut, and a vow to never dye my hair again), but other than that haven't dyed my hair since.
    It seems that it's impossible to keep my hair healthy, once it get past a bob stage, the ends look completely fried. I rarely blow dry my hair, a straightening iron is used on special occasions only, but it seems like even brushing my hair damages it. My hair grows (or seems to) super fast, the new hair on top look shiny and healthy, but after a while starts looking like a loofah. Seems like I have split ends everywhere.
    Right before I chopped off my hair I was growing out bangs and layers, and that coupled with the damaged hair looked really bad. The longer layers made it look like I had about 10 hairs on my head, the ends were uneven and scraggly.
    The hair dresser said that I have pretty decent amount of hair for someone with such fine hair, but that I should probably stick to shorter hairstyles because it's less hassle (anyone who had short hair before will argue with that lol)
    I've had long hair before, it wasn't the greatest, but looked good more or less once it got past the shoulders.
    Now it seems like I can't get past the shoulder length stage. The hair in the front looks the worst. I don't use many hair products because everything either weights down my hair or dries it out. Most smoothing serums make me look like a greasy wet rat, so I mostly use a light hairspray for the flyaways and that's about it.
    Right now I seem to have a lot of new growth (eating healthier, maybe that's why?), so dealing with lots of short hairs on top of my head and the front
    Sorry for the long post, but wanted to explain what we're dealing with here lol.

    So, is there a hair twin somewhere out there? Someone with similar hair that was able to grow it past the shoulders and keep it healthy looking? How did you manage to do it? Share the secret

    Is there anything I can use as protection for my hair? I tried a couple of uv protection sprays for hair, didn't do anything, I think it actually made me even blonder ha ha.

    Anything less damaging than hairspray that I can use for fly away hair? The new hair on top of my head look like I have a slight halo going.

    I recently read about hair lamination (gelatin + milk or water), supposedly coats and thickens your hair. Anyone try that yet?

    I'm willing to put any food on my hair if it helps ha ha.

    Pretty much any tips for growing out baby fine, thin, limp hair?
    Really don't want to be stuck with a bob forever =)

    My avatar is my profile picture as well. Can't attach pictures just yet so not sure if it's big enough to tell what kind of hair I have.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    LHC FairyGodMum lapushka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    54,639
    Length
    Chin/Class/FTL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/iii

    Default Re: Is healthy longish super fine hair even a possibility? Long post

    You might want to check out the "fine and thick" hair thread for more advice. I'm sure it's around here somewhere. You could use the search function.
    WCC method (washing) --- Rinse-out oil (MO) --- LOC/LCO method (styling)

  3. #3
    Member Oldfashioned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Posts
    81
    Length
    17/24/33
    Type
    2c/3a/M/C/ii/iii

    Default Re: Is healthy longish super fine hair even a possibility? Long post

    Don't use hairspray because when you wash, brush, or whatever to your hair afterwards can rip apart the hair cuticle causing a lot of breakage that appears to never grow. Found that out the hard way... A good alternative is pure aloe vera gel. Just put a little in your palms and smooth it over your hair. Nothing else has worked for me in the products department other than coconut oil but it's used for hair health not styling. If you have split ends maybe a search and destroy session is in order? That's all I've got for ideas so I hope it helps. Maybe someone else has some other ideas?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Is healthy longish super fine hair even a possibility? Long post

    Quote Originally Posted by lapushka View Post
    You might want to check out the "fine and thick" hair thread for more advice. I'm sure it's around here somewhere. You could use the search function.
    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Unfortunately the search function is not working for me for some reason. No matter what I type in, no results.
    Love your name by the way =)

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    550
    Length
    NA/NA/NA

    Default Re: Is healthy longish super fine hair even a possibility? Long post

    Checking out the Fine and Thick Hair thread as lapushka mentioned is a great idea. I have fine hair and thought I would add a couple suggestions.

    You may want to cover your head with hats and scarves during the warmer months to protect your fragile hair. And from other elements as well if you live in a cooler climate. I would stay away from brushes, maybe just finger comb your hair gently. If you feel you must comb, maybe a nice wood comb for detangling gently after finger combing.

    Finding a hair oil that works for you especially for your ends would help protect them. Also a satin pillow case to be gentle on your hair while you sleep. I found a cotton pillow case was not kind to my hair.

    I don't know if you wash daily or not but it may help your hair to extend the time between washes (if your scalp will allow) And finding a good leave in. There are recipes here and many come up with their own to suit their own unique needs.

    There's so much more, I'm sure you'll find lots of info in the fine hair thread previously mentioned. There may even be more than one for fine hair and you should find them in a search. It may help for you to conduct the search in google - I have found that when I do that LHC topics come up.

    HTH

  6. #6

    Default Re: Is healthy longish super fine hair even a possibility? Long post

    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfashioned View Post
    Don't use hairspray because when you wash, brush, or whatever to your hair afterwards can rip apart the hair cuticle causing a lot of breakage that appears to never grow. Found that out the hard way... A good alternative is pure aloe vera gel. Just put a little in your palms and smooth it over your hair. Nothing else has worked for me in the products department other than coconut oil but it's used for hair health not styling. If you have split ends maybe a search and destroy session is in order? That's all I've got for ideas so I hope it helps. Maybe someone else has some other ideas?
    Thank you! I have Jason 98% pure aloe, will experiment with that.
    I've tried coconut oil before. Put in a tiny bit, and then spent the next 5 hours washing away the grease haha.
    Argan oil is the only one that I can successfully wash out of my hair after a treatment.

  7. #7
    Member Rio040113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, England, UK.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,022
    Length
    SHLDR/TBL+/CLSC?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

    Default Re: Is healthy longish super fine hair even a possibility? Long post

    I'd start with oiling and gentle daily updos/braids (if/when your length allows). Experiment with your washing/conditioning routine. Use hair friendly combs etc. Is a sleep cap or satin pillow case an option for you? Instead of hairspray you could try a natural pomade or something like a flax seed gel? Google for recipes etc A hat or scarf coupled with an updo will protect your hair from the sun in summer. There are a ton of things you can do!
    No trims in 2014! 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12!
    Hip (34")
    --> BCL (36") --> TBL (~38") --> Dreaming of Classic (42") --> Mid thigh?! (~46"?)

  8. #8
    Member Rio040113's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, England, UK.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,022
    Length
    SHLDR/TBL+/CLSC?
    Type
    1a/1b/F/ii

    Default Re: Is healthy longish super fine hair even a possibility? Long post

    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Queen View Post
    Thank you! I have Jason 98% pure aloe, will experiment with that.
    I've tried coconut oil before. Put in a tiny bit, and then spent the next 5 hours washing away the grease haha.
    Argan oil is the only one that I can successfully wash out of my hair after a treatment.
    A lot of people, myself included, find that conditioner seems to remove oil better than shampoo (YMMV of course)
    No trims in 2014! 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12!
    Hip (34")
    --> BCL (36") --> TBL (~38") --> Dreaming of Classic (42") --> Mid thigh?! (~46"?)

  9. #9

    Default Re: Is healthy longish super fine hair even a possibility? Long post

    Quote Originally Posted by Katrine View Post
    Checking out the Fine and Thick Hair thread as lapushka mentioned is a great idea. I have fine hair and thought I would add a couple suggestions.

    You may want to cover your head with hats and scarves during the warmer months to protect your fragile hair. And from other elements as well if you live in a cooler climate. I would stay away from brushes, maybe just finger comb your hair gently. If you feel you must comb, maybe a nice wood comb for detangling gently after finger combing.

    Finding a hair oil that works for you especially for your ends would help protect them. Also a satin pillow case to be gentle on your hair while you sleep. I found a cotton pillow case was not kind to my hair.

    I don't know if you wash daily or not but it may help your hair to extend the time between washes (if your scalp will allow) And finding a good leave in. There are recipes here and many come up with their own to suit their own unique needs.

    There's so much more, I'm sure you'll find lots of info in the fine hair thread previously mentioned. There may even be more than one for fine hair and you should find them in a search. It may help for you to conduct the search in google - I have found that when I do that LHC topics come up.

    HTH
    Thank you.
    Brushes are the worst enemy. Especially the round bristly ones. I avoid those like the plague which will be hard with this damn new bob. Was wincing today when the hairstylist was blow drying me with one. At least she used a colder setting .
    Google search seems to work better than the forum search. Found the threads. Going to be a loooong night.
    I can go 2 days without washing, after that hair is staying tied up. It doesn't really get oily, just looks worse.
    Thanks again

  10. #10

    Default Re: Is healthy longish super fine hair even a possibility? Long post

    Thanks Rio040113!
    Only thing that was able to get the oil completely out was Dawn dish washing liquid (desperate times, desperate measures), and a sh*&ton of conditioner.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •