Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Long on Hair, Short on Cash: How do YOU do it?

Type
    1c/2a/F/ii

Default Long on Hair, Short on Cash: How do YOU do it?

I'd love to hear how other Long-hairs-on-a-budget like me make it work.

I'd love to try all the good-for-you products out there, buy high quality combs & brushes, get some ficcares, and oh how I've been wanting a Lark's Creation Squiggly for almost 2 years!!! But I'm not in a stage where I can put money towards such luxuries. I did have to splurge on a $6 brush yesterday, because my old one has lost over 1/3 of the bristles, another 1/3 are bent over, & its finally being declared as dead. Hopefully that new brush doesn't throw off this month's budget.

Here's how I manage my waist-length locks without breaking the bank:
    Wash every other day with V05 shampoo & conditioner ($1/bottle, & lasts me several months). Comb wet hair with a plastic comb I think I got for about $1 or $2 a year ago. Brush dry hair daily with a hard bristle brush to detangle. (New brush is a combo of hard & soft bristles.) At the office, it goes up in a lazy wrap bun, held by a plastic clip that looks like a ficcare, but came from Claire's. I think it was $3 or $4, & I've had it for a year or two. When I'm not at the office, it's in a ponytail with a regular old hair tie, or it's down.

So how about you? How do you care for your hair without spending a fortune?
    Just a crazy craftaholic! ^_~ http://craftaholicadventures.blogspot.com/
    Longest: Classic. Shortest: Chin length. Currently: Waist.

Can I be a Guru now** Angela_Rose's Avatar
    Length
    20"/51"/Knee+
    Type
    2b/2c/M/C/ii

Default Re: Long on Hair, Short on Cash: How do YOU do it?

On a budget, indeed. I am currently unemployed and trying to scrape by on less than $400/month.
    The dollar store plus my once-a-week wash/condition schedule is a big help. I buy my shampoo at the local dollar store, and it's alovely shampoo. It's a knockoff of the $10/bottle Argan Oil blue bottle stuff... for A DOLLAR. Woo. I splurge on my conditioner, but spending $4.99 on a bottle of Suave every three months keeps my budget down. Many of my hair toys were given to me o rI found them at ridiculous bargains. I did wait to buy my comb until it went on closeout... from $7 doen to $1.99, so there are good ways to do it.
    Lady Seraph of the Celestial Rose, OOTLHK.
    Achieved 53.5"/Calf, January 2016; currently at 51" and struggling to come back from a Big Shed.

Length
    MB/WL/WL
    Type
    2b/2c/F/ii

Weirdly, I think that its easier to spend less money on hair if you follow the Mane Forum. Its those pesky Ficcares that cause all of the problems!

Shampoo and condish can be cheap (I like cone free and those can be cheap too) -- expensive definitely doesn't mean better. Looking at ingredients helps to save time and money.

Treatments such as coconut oil are the best and real cooking-quality coconut oil is super cheap and lasts forever.

Self-trims are free after purchasing some good scissors. Hairstylists cost so much money!

Even though I developed a bit of a Ficcare habit (ahem), I think I've saved money of late since I haven't been going to hairdressers and I am buying cheaper and better shampoos now. Its very freeing, and it feels good since I changed jobs/moved and I'm still waiting for my first paycheck and reimbursement for my moving expenses two months down the line. Yikes!

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Agreed with cheap shampoo and condish (if you can stand the over-the-top fragrances, V05 is great stuff!) and invest in a pair of hair trimming scissors, around $20 and you can avoid salons for years.

If you use sticks, some seamless acrylic sticks in a neutral color (so you don't have to worry about them clashing with things or standing out when you don't want them too) might be a good investment- won't harm your hair, waterproof, virtually indestructible (OK, so you can destroy them, but it's hard to do with anything that you would normally be doing with a hair stick.) Chopsticks are also an option, you can get cheap wooden ones and paint them to your heart's content!

I think seamless combs are readily available these days (seems like big haircare companies like Goody are starting to catch on to good hair care practices) and might also be a good investment, though I got by for years with one of the wide tooth plastic detangling combs with seams galore. You can get by with JUST a comb, too. I did that for years before I got ahold of a TT.

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

Length
    SL/CL+/WL+
    Type
    1b/F/M/ii

Also, if you're patient and persistent, you can snag some good deals on the swap board. Just not on Ficcares, those are in super high demand right now.

Shoulder--APL--BSL--Waist--Tailbone+
    Disc bun tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1YzsZ_s-U4

Length
    16in/36in/45+
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

I've managed to grow my hair out during the 6 years I've been pursuing various degrees (First a BS now A PHD), and as many of you may know, college ain't cheap. Basically I managed to hit APL without giving my hair a second thought. I washed it as little as possible (mainly out of concern for lack of time) and kept it up pretty much all of the time, except for when I was going out and wanted to show off. I am just about Tail bone now, and not much has changed. I use dollar tree shampoo and follow the CWC method. I bought my comb and scissors at a beauty supply store when they were have a clearence sale so that brought the price down. I keep my hair braided a lot, because it doesn't require expensive hair toys. FINALLY I use coconut oil as both a conditioning treatment and a leave in. I sometimes find bottles of Coconut oil at Grocery Outlet for really cheap and if budget allows I stock up. I use it for cooking too so I feel like I can justify it.

Growing by Benign Neglect In2wishin's Avatar
    Length
    15/BSL/TB
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

It's not for everybody but going CO with a homemade conditioner has saved me tons of money. I spent $40 for all of the ingredients (conditioning agent, shea butter, avocado oil) and that gives me 25 (32 ounce) bottles of conditioner at $1.60 each. I wash once a week and each bottle lasts me about 12 washes, so I end up spending less than $10/year.

Chopsticks make great inexpensive hairsticks.

Length
    20"/knee/term.
    Type
    2a/F/ii

The most expensive thing i spend money on is the new shampoo i use, but- its going to hopefully last me several months. so thats 15$ (Not cheep i know. I also used to use a 3$ clarifying shampoo for the longest while) but my regular conditioner is around 5$ every 2 weeks. The different oils i have bought maybe total 10$ and will last me all year maybe. I use a comb that was 3$ for ten, my oil brush was 3$ at Sallys. The sizzors i use are OLD. I stole them from my dad a while back (he started to use them to cut the dog's hair...) and we've seemed to always have them, but they are sharp still.

Anyhoo I have a wooden hairstick i got a long time ago for a few dollars, two wooden forks were gifts, two sets of plastic chopsticks that maybe total 2$? and regular ponytail holders 10 for 1.50$ no metal. A butterfly hair comb thing i got for 20$ 7 years ago that works great for slippery hair. Those items were one time purchases and for now its all i need.
    Last edited by jrmviola; October 17th, 2013 at 10:19 AM.

Type
    2b/M/iii

I hope I don't offend with this unsolicited bit of advice...but if you want healthy, beautiful hair, please, do not use a brush to detangle it.

A wide tooth comb is gentlest for detangling. Just be sure to work in small increments, and start from the tips of the hair and work your way up to your scalp. Working in small sections helps you to more quickly locate any snarl/tangle/mat.

You can help lessen the tangle situation if you keep your hair up..or in a braid.

Type
    2a/M/iii

I agree with those who say that long hair is better for the budget. I spend maybe $10 every 6 months or a year (I can't remember) on shampoo and conditioner...and that's about it. A brush/comb will last you many years, and if you're into treatments, oils are equally cheap and long-lasting. I'd say growing long, natural hair should cost $20/year MAX, and anything on top of that is a luxury (sometimes luxuries that are very, very tempting, like pretty hair forks, but still technically unnecessary). It's a bargain! What other part of your daily life do you spend so little on for it to look so good?