Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: An odd way to curl my hair - does anyone else do this?

Length
    2"/34"/45"
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

Default An odd way to curl my hair - does anyone else do this?

For as long as I've had "long hair" (about two years now), I've had this habit when it's down of spinning the whole hunk of hair around my finger, until it's one loose spiral. At first I just did it sort of absently, but I soon noticed that after a little while the curl seemed to hold through the rest of the day - even when I tossed the hair back over my shoulder and shook it out, I got cute little princess curls at the ends.

So now oftentimes after a shower when my hair is air-drying, I'll spin it around my finger over one shoulder and then the other (away from the face when it's on my right side, toward my face if it's on my left), and every single time I do this my hair ends up sleek and smooth, but with a nice curl at the ends.

Does anyone else do this? I have a few other long-haired friends and when we've talked about curling our hair, I've mentioned this "technique" and received only blank stares in return. Tell me I'm not alone here!

Type
    1a/1b/M/ii/iii

Default Re: An odd way to curl my hair - does anyone else do this?

I've seen this posted on Pinterest, but never actually met someone who did it. Glad to hear it actually works though!
    BALDPIXIECHINSHOULDERAPLBSLWAISTHLTL
    Henna enhanced auburn-haired girl

Type
    2a/F/i

I do that sometimes to! I disnt know others did it, I just do it when I'm bored or nervous lol

Length
    APL/MBL/CLSC
    Type
    2c/3a/M/iii

I twist my hair when it dries...It helps to even out my waves so to speak. Naturally, the front of my hair gets really wavy whereas the back of my hair is almost pin straight. When I twist them, everything has a more equal amount of curl. It also keeps the top of my hair from frizzing out.

Starting from scratch
    7/4/2019
    Curly: SHDR.APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.CLSC
    Stretched: APL.BSL.MBL.WST.HIP.CLSC

Length
    27 in/27 in/33 in
    Type
    1b/M/ii

I twist too, I do either 2 or 4 twists.

Length
    BSL/BCL/TBL
    Type
    1a/F/M/ii

Oh, I should try this. Maybe my pin straight hair could get some movement.
    1a/m/ii, going to tailbone!
    Ficcare Database - send me your photos by PM!

Length
    MBL/to/HIP
    Type
    2a/F/M/ii

I'm a twister! I find it helps encourage my wave pattern. I only do this on days when I wash in the morning. When I wash in the evenings I'll bun or braid it.

Length
    20"/23"/28"
    Type
    2c/M/ii

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    For as long as I've had "long hair" (about two years now), I've had this habit when it's down of spinning the whole hunk of hair around my finger, until it's one loose spiral. At first I just did it sort of absently, but I soon noticed that after a little while the curl seemed to hold through the rest of the day - even when I tossed the hair back over my shoulder and shook it out, I got cute little princess curls at the ends.

So now oftentimes after a shower when my hair is air-drying, I'll spin it around my finger over one shoulder and then the other (away from the face when it's on my right side, toward my face if it's on my left), and every single time I do this my hair ends up sleek and smooth, but with a nice curl at the ends.

Does anyone else do this? I have a few other long-haired friends and when we've talked about curling our hair, I've mentioned this "technique" and received only blank stares in return. Tell me I'm not alone here!
    I used to do this to my ponytail to make it stay in one clump rather than poofing out, turns out all I was doing was utilising a wave pattern I didn't know I had - maybe you are wavier than you think.
    Dyed-in-the-wool redhead, growing out old fringe/ bangs. Three years Curly Girl, just past BSL stretched but itching to trim.

Type
    2a/2b/F/M/ii

i've put my hair in a high ponytail before and done that quite tightly over and over again, about every 10 minutes while it dries. i like the way it leaves a 'wound up' ponytail looks very 'done' but so easy to do. might try the loose way to control my messy waves

Length
    Chin/WL/TBL?
    Type
    1c/F/M/ii

I do this too! I get a good amount of wave from it on the bottom half of my length, which separates out to individual curls by the ends. And I find it cuts down on frizz dramatically (maybe all the petting as it gets smoothed down and twisted). If I want really wavy hair, I'll clip all the ends together behind my back and let it dry completely like that (time permitting), too.

SL ~ APL
    ~ BSL ~ MB abyss ~ WL ~ HIP ~ TB?
    minor trims to thicken ends before traipsing on toward HIP!