Thread: Help I'm shedding and don't want to cut!

Length
    ??/19.5/36
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

Default Help I'm shedding and don't want to cut!

Okay...so I'm growing out a relaxer (last one was october 2007) and to keep my hair moisturized I CO every day and DC every week. Recently I noticed I'm losing ALOT of hair. Not from the root, but from the transition point. Should I just chop it off from there or is there anything to salvage it? My hair is a little past APL but before BSL and I'd really like to save some length if possible... TIA
    Red and Blue in the wind, a brave yell, we have a name,everybody knows, Barca, Barca, Barca! Blaugrana al vent, un crit valent,tenim un nom, el sap tothom:Barça, Barça, Barça!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

Default Re: Help I'm shedding and don't want to cut!

Have you done any protein treatments? The last time I saw my stylist, she did a two-step conditioning treatment for me. The first product was Joico K-Pak reconstructor, followed by Joico deep moisture treatment. My hair loved it.

Type
    2a/F/ii

Quote Originally Posted by Barca View Post
    Okay...so I'm growing out a relaxer (last one was october 2007) and to keep my hair moisturized I CO every day and DC every week. Recently I noticed I'm losing ALOT of hair. Not from the root, but from the transition point. Should I just chop it off from there or is there anything to salvage it? My hair is a little past APL but before BSL and I'd really like to save some length if possible... TIA
    I was in a similar situation when i first joined here. i was weaning myself from a succession of perms and growing my hair. My hair started breaking off at the transition point also, unfortunately there wasn't anything I could do to stop it and I did trim it off from that point.

My hair has been healthy ever since. You may want to look at getting small trims until all the relaxed hair is gone.

Obsessive Oilaholic ChloeDharma's Avatar
    Type
    1b/F/ii

I remember being told years ago that the problem with growing out relaxed hair on tight curls is that where the texture changes you get a stress point wich tends to snap.
    I have no advice based on experience, but the only thing i can think of is maybe straightening the hair gently after washing, using maybe the wrapping technique, or maybe setting it on rollers to try to minimise the sudden contrast and not allow the stress point to be so extreeme in difference.
    Plus of course lots of DT's and a contained style.....or how about getting braids done while growing the relaxed hair out? These are just me trying to think up ideas, hopefully someone who's actually grown out relaxed hair will answer soon....good luck, it must be so frustrating!
    The heart would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.

Length
    ??/19.5/36
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

Quote Originally Posted by spidermom View Post
    Have you done any protein treatments? The last time I saw my stylist, she did a two-step conditioning treatment for me. The first product was Joico K-Pak reconstructor, followed by Joico deep moisture treatment. My hair loved it.
    I tried Aphogee about two weeks ago when I noticed it. I have been wearing my hair up for the last year so I never noticed how thin my relaxed ends were until the other day when I wore my hair out. I can't really if the strands on the end have been chemically altered and are now thinner in diameter compared to my curls or what! I just notice a lot of limp relaxed strand in my (wide tooth) comb and in my drain every day. I feel like it's too much...

I'll try another protein treatment, in a few weeks b/c I reallllyyyyyy don't want to chop it off.
    Red and Blue in the wind, a brave yell, we have a name,everybody knows, Barca, Barca, Barca! Blaugrana al vent, un crit valent,tenim un nom, el sap tothom:Barça, Barça, Barça!

Hiding in plain sight spidermom's Avatar
    Length
    pixie/waist/frtip
    Type
    2c/F/M/ii

And remember, follow up the protein treatment with a deep moisturizing treatment -- one you leave on for awhile and apply warmth to, like with a shower cap followed by a wool cap, or sitting under a dryer for awhile, or sitting still for awhile with a heating pad over your head (put something between the shower cap and the heating pad -- like a pillowcase or towel or previously mentioned wool cap).

Length
    ??/19.5/36
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

yep I bought the moisture conditioner that came with the aphogee. My hair felt great...but I still notice shedding. Maybe It isn't as much as I think, and since I'm used to having short hair it just looks like more b/c the strands are longer..

Length
    TLB/chin/waist
    Type
    1b/1c/F/M/ii

Just wanted to say good luck - your hair is GORGEOUS!
    From BSL to classic to pixie to chin to ... ??? All my hair is now virgin and LHC-loved.

Length
    ??/19.5/36
    Type
    3c/4a/M/ii/iii

Why thank you, very much